Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Marty Schottenheimer

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Marty Schottenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    That's the UFL, his team literally had a one in four chance of winning the championship by just showing up lol.
    Right, the same organization that just went under.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Right, the same organization that just went under.
    Thanks for proving my point, that the man is willing to work in the a$$hole of the football world (at this point in his life) just so he can do what he LOVES to do!
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Don't know much about Marty but I would rather have a long term coach.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I like Marty, but he has a long standing karma issue in the playoffs with some of the most heartbreaking defeats in NFL history ("The Drive" and "The Fumble").

That said, maybe Marty's bad luck would cancel out the Rams bad luck and we might have something. Kind of like two negatives making a positive?
    Most of what you said about Marty was said about DV before he came to the Rams and won a championship.

I am all in lets get Marty....

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I'm a long time Marty fan, so heck yeah

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    I would love him to our coach. He can build the organization into a winner and develop a coach to take over when he retires. If we don't get Fisher and end up with a coordinator, Marty could come in with a role like Parcells had with the Dolphins.
    This is really the crux of my original post. Schottenheimer would (like Vermeil) be head coach in name but act far more like an assistant GM within 24 months. Vermeil didn't run the offense or defense, he had assistants do all of that. He ran the football operations, made sure people were doing their jobs, everyone was on the same page working in the same direction.

In a way, you have to define what you want your head coach to do. Do you want him being a position coach (impossible really). Do you want him being a Coordinator by default (most coaches). Or do you want him to run the team by managing the coaches and developing a system?

The idea that the Rams are looking to hire someone for 5-10 years is part of the problem. This franchise hasn't had a head coach longer than 4 years since John Robinson. Each time they switch, it's a completely new direction pretty much and we need a new set of players with a new set of skills to match the new regime. That needs to change.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    That's the UFL, his team literally had a one in four chance of winning the championship by just showing up lol.
    The exact same chance as our team has of winning the division........but that hasn't happened in nearly a decade.

I think Marty would be a great choice.
    RAMarkable likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I just find it weird that apart from this forum I have not seen his name mentioned anywhere in relation to any of the open HC jobs. Maybe i haven't looked hard enough, but it's possible that age is a factor

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    This is really the crux of my original post. Schottenheimer would (like Vermeil) be head coach in name but act far more like an assistant GM within 24 months. Vermeil didn't run the offense or defense, he had assistants do all of that. He ran the football operations, made sure people were doing their jobs, everyone was on the same page working in the same direction.

In a way, you have to define what you want your head coach to do. Do you want him being a position coach (impossible really). Do you want him being a Coordinator by default (most coaches). Or do you want him to run the team by managing the coaches and developing a system?

The idea that the Rams are looking to hire someone for 5-10 years is part of the problem. This franchise hasn't had a head coach longer than 4 years since John Robinson. Each time they switch, it's a completely new direction pretty much and we need a new set of players with a new set of skills to match the new regime. That needs to change.
    I don't think looking for someone for 5-10 years is a bad thing. Isn't stability something we all value? Do we WANT to start all over with a new voice and a new direction every 3 years?

Yes, Dick Vermeil laid a blueprint with the help of veteran, successful assistants. Guys like Mike White and Frank Gansz were invaluable. That's part of the problem- we'd need to not only hire Marty but drum up a number of quality assistants to support him. Easier said than done.

Certainly not arguing with you- as I've said, I like Schottenheimer, and your ideas make sense. I just think it's a long shot considering he hasn't even been mentioned by anyone other than us fans.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Any head coach hired would need to bring in multiple, quality coaches. The Rams basically have a OC at this point and he's on the bubble.

I wasn't saying having a coach for 10 years isn't a good thing, it's just that the Rams don't do that. The Rams need to build an overall system and when it's time to hire a GM, HC or coordinator again, he plugs into the system.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think you all have summed up the Schottenheimer scenario pretty well:
    • He knows how to build a competitive team and is one of the winningest regular season coaches in NFL history.
    • In 9 of the 13 years his team made the playoffs, they were eliminated in the first round. He has never taken a team to the Super Bowl.
    • At his age, it is not likely that he would be around for the long haul.

In my opinion, this could be a formula for success if he would accept a slightly more aggressive offensive coordinator and we started working on succession planning from the beginning. We don't want to just play Marty Ball for three years and then find a better game manager to take over the team he built.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12