Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: To the Martz bashers

In the great words of Jim Mora "Playoffs,PPP Playoffs we will be lucky to win another game". If players who need to be fired up need to be fired, then say goodbye to about 40 guys on this team. If anyone watched the Jaguars game last night the fire those two teams play with. Guys flying around the ball wanting to make a hit. I see our guys flying away from the ball hoping not to make a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    I agree that I felt they should have gone after a big money MLB. I wanted Hartwell. But as it turns out, the MLB is responsible for stuffing the run. the 1 thing the Rams are not terrible at on defense, so apparently wasn't a bad value for the money.
    I dont completely agree with this statement. Yes the front office did go out and get some guys. To say the one thing we are good at is stopping the run after the last two weeks is crazy. We gave up over 100 yds two straight games. I thik the better way of putting it is we are worse at stopping the pass so teams are attacking it first. I still see gaping holes in our d-lines on running plays. I see over pursuiit by Claiborne on the 1st td Alexander scored. Claiborne went outside when the outside was contained and Alexander cut right back inside and score easily. So Im not sure the Rams arent terrible at stopping the run.

Everyone shares some blame in this the f/o does too. As for Martz hiring all his buddies like its some pop warner football league is a little bit concerning to me. It's on him when he brings those guys in and they stink. Our punter is terrible, our defense is terrible both decisions by his buddies to control. We could have gone out and found a real defensive coordinator but instead we have Marmie. Something needs to change!

Just Fix It

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

MM IMO needs to change the style of play on the offensive side of the ball. How about some ball control and keep the other teams offense off the field. Our defense is terrible. We need to get SJ & MF more involved in the running game. Ball control could also help the defense stay fresh alittle longer. At least give this a try until the "d" gets it's act together... not sure how long that might take 2007 maybe.

FAN 4ever !

theodus69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0
    MM IMO needs to change the style of play on the offensive side of the ball. How about some ball control and keep the other teams offense off the field. Our defense is terrible. We need to get SJ & MF more involved in the running game. Ball control could also help the defense stay fresh alittle longer. At least give this a try until the "d" gets it's act together... not sure how long that might take 2007 maybe.

FAN 4ever !
    Yeah. I'd say his offensive schemes are all but figured out! And right now I don't think this team is that good. Sorry but they look flat and a flat team is not a good TEAM!!!!!!

AJD45 Guest

@ Rammiser -- great post, fully agree! My comment about the Rams looking asleep also came from watching the Jags last night. It's so sad watching other games and seeing how fired up other teams get. If the Rams had a coach that could get that kind of emotion going, things would not be where they stand.

@ laram0 -- the Rams can't magically change their style of play to ball control because MM has never instilled any discipline! Hell, the Rams can barely go 2 plays in a row without jumping offsides (then laughing about it), and you expect them to try to go on 10-15 play drives? I'd rather see them chuck it 50 yards every play than see half-hearted runs and a few dink passes surrounding a parade of embarrassing penalties and turnovers (assuming Bulger would actually let go of a deep ball instead of eating yet another "coverage sack")...

sbramfan Guest

To say the one thing we are good at is stopping the run after the last two weeks is crazy.
    now you know I said it's the one thing they are NOT TERRIBLE at.... I didn't say they were good at it!

Yes, this is what he needs to do. Not night and day, but anything to keep the D off the field and fresh would be a good thing. I know, we've got behind, etc... and had to pass, but just as a general statement, this needs to be part of the plan.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I have always stayed away from the Martz debates I never saw enough to get rid of him and I never saw enough to keep him. I see good arguments on both sides. I would have made a commitment based on how he did by seasons end. One-way or the other and stuck with it.

There is one thing that I think some Martz supporters fail to take into account under his job responsibility. It was Vermiels number one responsibility when he was here and it should have been Martz.

My view of coachesí responsibilities:
    1. Responsible for getting the proper coaches for his team.

2. Responsible for making sure they do their job and are involved in understanding what they want to accomplish for each and every game.

3. The coach is the General they need to make sure these players stay motivated and do their job. The assistants should be doing this to but it has to come from all angles and show that you support your assistantís drive for them to perform.

4. Make sure that the whole team is moving together as one unit not three separate units offense, defense, and special teams. They need to know that they have each otherís backs its not three group performances.

5. Coordinate practices.

6. If they are good enough and want to take on the added pressure they can be the O or D coordinator. Some how this is what everyone makes Martz number one priority is being our O coordinator. I sometimes wonder how the defense feels playing for a head coach that focuses the majority of his time on the other side of the ball. I wonder if the defense and special teams feel slighted. You cannot tell me that Martz likes talking about anything more then he does his offense. He will talk offense all day long. When is the last time you heard him set there and talk defense all day long.

talkstoangels61 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Who said I was trying to deflect anything from Martz? I'm just saying it may not be TOTALLY his fault. Plus, how the heck is he supposed to get his team fired up when he's been battling what could be a deadly disease the same week he plays the Seahawks?

Besides, if a pro player needs to be "fired up" for a game, he needs to be "fired".

Well IMPO he hasnt done this in years.Get the team fired up! Thats why he should have stayed home and let his coaches coach the game! .....Oh i know why ,MM thinks he's Superman when it comes to this team! Look i hope that if i were sick that my foremans etc. would be able to get me through a game or 2! .....If not then i definatly have the wrong guy for the job! Not to mention what if his coaches starting winning without ole' Mikey?............Would he get the Kurt Warner treatment?..............I truly think that that has crossed his mind!...............Martz told the front office who to go out and get! It wasn't the FO to make the decision. how could you even blame it on the FO?

talkstoangels61 Guest

MM reminds me to much of High School coaches!.............He tends to keep his favorites and buddies around!...............Now since most of you always say it's a business then MM is IMPO making way too many bad business decisions! He should before he gets fired maybe at least go back upstairs were he's capable of seeing the game a lot better and start drawing up and even calling the plays from above!......IMPO he is if not the best OC ive seen he surely is in the top 2!...............Head coach NO WAY!

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

Follow Up From Jabs At Bg Holt & Team

I want to follow up on my comments a few days/week ago on the lack of seriousness of the team, and I pointed out that BG Holt should stop grinnng so much when he drops the ball. I took some heat on that one mostly about how it's not BG and what's inside his head when he grins.

I like what I saw yesterday (except the knee issue). BG Holt has been consistent. He plays his heart out and has the individual talents to make us go "Woooooh." That one-handed catch was spectatular concentration yesterday. Props to him, as always.

My point is, the 60-minutes of an NFL game is a battle, a war. Warriors don't smile & grin during war. I don't recall seeing BG Holt smiling and grinnng yesterday. He was a Warrior. He fought valiantly while injured. I salute him.

We have enough weapons on Offense to defeat the enemy. I want to see Marc Friggin-Bulger put on the same armor that BG Holt does and get TOUGH. It irritates me to to the highest degree of p-tivity to see Payton Manning, Brian Leftwich, Tom Brady, etc. have SO MUCH TIME to read the Defense & audible at the line when Bulger has to waste a time-out. I still say that Bulger should have seen that M. Faulk wasn't in the line-up for that stupid toss at NYG and stopped the play. I saw other QBs usher & order their O-players around like they were Field Marshals. AAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH.

Where is the on-field leadership?

We only need to win by 1 point; we don't need to do like Green Bay yesterday. That was disrespectful in running up the score. I don't care if it was there or not. I will cheer on any team that beats the snot out of them from now on. I'll admit that I didn't see the game; so have at me for that.

Martz is down; Hodges is out; a new coach has to step up just like in distant past. A new day has arrived for the Rams; these current events of are not for naught. Now is the time. We can take Indy; onward Rams!!!!

ldjohn55
    :clanram:

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Well IMPO he hasnt done this in years.Get the team fired up! Thats why he should have stayed home and let his coaches coach the game! .....Oh i know why ,MM thinks he's Superman when it comes to this team! Look i hope that if i were sick that my foremans etc. would be able to get me through a game or 2! .....If not then i definatly have the wrong guy for the job! Not to mention what if his coaches starting winning without ole' Mikey?............Would he get the Kurt Warner treatment?..............I truly think that that has crossed his mind!...............Martz told the front office who to go out and get! It wasn't the FO to make the decision. how could you even blame it on the FO?
    angels, thanks for asking me the golden question. I like you angels, your staunch support of Warner is admirable. I don't necessarily have to agree with a stance, but I can admire anyone's stance as long as they are committed.

Now, why not blame the front office. I'm glad you asked. One only has to look at three areas and find out why the front office is just as guilty if not more.

1. The Rams have had a fabulous offensive run since 1999. This puts the Rams on national television. Lots of Monday nights. Do you think "defense" had anything to do with it? Nope and the front office knows that. So what do they do? Overload the cap to the offense. I would. It puts behinds in the seats and sells advertisement time.

2. No way do very shrewd people like John Shaw and Jay Zygmut put a potential profit in the hands of one man. These guys have their first nickel. If you honestly believe that they are "yes" men to Martz then let me tell you they aren't.

3. Back to the salary cap. Dead money is killing the Rams this year. 14+ million. adarian, before you go there let me explain why what's left wouldn't give us a shut down corner. Not enough for the bonus money. 14 million brings an Ed Reed type. 6 million gives us a Butler type. Not a bad CB, but let's be honest not a shutdown corner by any means. Well, it's time to balance the ledger and go spend money on a defensive secondary player with the star power of a Torry Holt. You got your O line. You got SJ signed long term. Bruce is going to make big coin next year. Give this offense a fighting chance and get me a shutdown corner with some of that dead money coin. We score enough points, let's hold the opposing team for once.

talkstoangels61 Guest

Okay Tex i'll give you some kudos on your stance on defense and i do agree with you about needing defensive players but, MM IMPO has pulled the wool over just about everyones eyes that there are to be !.........Just like me in the beginning i thought the same thing! As follows , With this high octane offense who can score at will! We really don't need that great of defense or $$$$$$ being spent in this direction as long as we can score at any time! Alas it has stopped and now we are on the other side of the ball or should i say we are wearing the other teams shoes now! Mike was so believable and liked for his craziness approach to the game that IMPO we all jumped on for the ride! I did until i started to see the wheels coming off of this machine we once had! He has made alot of bad business and team mistakes IMPO! The other Coaches and company have caught on to MM and some of them are using our old plays that we used to use! When he was OC. Since then he has really drug this team down IMPO and might not be any one else's but, it is mine! We no longer play the game like we used too! MM i honestly believe seen the game much better when he did not have the actual duty to be in charge of the Team! He was far more relaxed then and who could blame him for wanting to be the HC! I don't! But, once again IMPO i just don't see the Rams as a team in what they used to be when MM was the OC is all! He had no worries or stress well not as much!........I like MM but just don't see him as a HC is all! He has made some of the most ridiculous moves as far as the draft goes with players such as college QB's wanting to make them receivers and safeties! When we could have been strengthening our defensive side of the ball ! Go back and look at the % of offensive draft picks that he has made over the years!.....Tell me it wasn't MM that was drafting them. A couple of years he did go Dline but then watch after that, WR's that we didn't need ! We shouldn't waste picks on guys or positions that are claimed for years to come! We had IB,TH,KC,SM and he's let go some guys that i would have kept!.........He needed olinemen too and never really got aggressive with them until this year! always a couple of wide outs in our draft when we could have used them else where!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    Yeah. I'd say his offensive schemes are all but figured out!
    The Rams rank second offensively in yards per game and fourth in points per game. In my opinion, these aren't the numbers of a scheme that is all but figured out. If that were the case, I would think opponents would actually be shutting us down. Not quite the case.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    The Rams rank second offensively in yards per game and fourth in points per game. In my opinion, these aren't the numbers of a scheme that is all but figured out. If that were the case, I would think opponents would actually be shutting us down. Not quite the case.
    I agree. If the Martz offense has been figured out, is stale, flat or predictable, how are we doing so well statistacally. Numbers don't lie. In addition to what Nick mentioned, Torry Holt is leading the NFL in recieving yards and catches, while Marc Bulger is averaging 330 yards per game and is on pace to shatter the all-time NFL record for passing yards in a season.

sbramfan Guest

The yards and points have been piled up on teams that are ahead by 2 scores.

..and: The teams they are behind by 2 scores or more have been among the worst in the league. The Rams have the absolute easiest schedule in the entire NFL. I would hope they are up there in yards and points.

Teams haven't figured out their offense, but I do think they are not playing "one step ahead of opposing defenses" in the play calling, which is why I believe it has been "stale", especially early on.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    The yards and points have been piled up on teams that are ahead by 2 scores.

..and: The teams they are behind by 2 scores or more have been among the worst in the league. The Rams have the absolute easiest schedule in the entire NFL. I would hope they are up there in yards and points.

Teams haven't figured out their offense, but I do think they are not playing "one step ahead of opposing defenses" in the play calling, which is why I believe it has been "stale", especially early on.
    If the numbers that our offense is putting up is the result of a "stale" offense, I'll take it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast