Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tony Soprano Guest

Martz Blasts Barron AGAIN !!

Yes, Martz is once again unhappy with first rounder Alex Barron. Alex "It's only Practice" Barron played the entire second half and against the Chargers 2nd and 3rd stringers, he gave up a sack and allowed a run-through (Defensive player ran through Barron) for a 4 yard loss.

Martz said, again, after the SD game, Barron will not play RIGHT tackle this year.

So for a team struggling, we used our first round pick to be a 2nd or 3rd team backup tackle.

This has gone from bad to worse. Our ORT needed help the entire first half.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...9?OpenDocument

KurtWarner2005MVP Guest

Re: Martz Blasts Barron AGAIN !!

Ugh. Not what I wanted to read today.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Yes, Martz is once again unhappy with first rounder Alex Barron. Alex "It's only Practice" Barron played the entire second half and against the Chargers 2nd and 3rd stringers, he gave up a sack and allowed a run-through (Defensive player ran through Barron) for a 4 yard loss.

Martz said, again, after the SD game, Barron will not play RIGHT tackle this year.

So for a team struggling, we used our first round pick to be a 2nd or 3rd team backup tackle.

So when did Martz start speaking the truth to the media anyway? He never gives them a straight story. Does he hate Barron, does he love Barron? Is Barron going to play LT, is Barron going to play RT? Does Martz like Red Baron Pizza? Does a Barron Crapon in the Woodson? None of these questions are going to get straight answers from Martz. That's the way he handles the media...always has, probably always will.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

So what would you have done.

So Tony who would you have had the Rams draft instead? And don't say bet the farm and try to move up, the Rams would have had to move up all the way to 13 to get Brown, and it would have been expensive, and all of you would have been howling. So tell me who on this list that the Rams would have draft that AT DRAFT TIME you would have been happy the Rams drafted and not complaining that they didn't draft Barron the top rated tackle. The problem isn't drafting Barron, it is not signing a capable vet FA to fill the RT spot in case he wasn't ready.

Here are the candidates:

19 St. Louis Alex Barron - OT
    20 Dallas Marcus Spears - DE
    21 Jacksonville Matt Jones - WR
    22 Baltimore Mark Clayton - WR
    23 Oakland Fabian Washington - CB
    24 Green Bay Aaron Rodgers - QB
    25 Washington Jason Campbell - QB
    26 Seattle Chris Spencer - C
    27 Atlanta Roddy White - WR
    28 San Diego Luis Castillo - DT
    29 Indianapolis Marlin Jackson - CB
    30 Pittsburgh Heath Miller - TE
    31 Philadelphia Mike Patterson - DT
    32 New England Logan Mankins - OG

RealRam is offline Registered User

Translation to the situation: G-R-O-W-I-N-G P-A-I-N-S. :angryram:

Whether from his HC, from his OL coaches, teamates, his own self. Time for tough love.

Tony Soprano Guest

I wanted Jammal Brown. I feel like he'll have the better NFL career. Having said that, I think (and the experts have written this) that it was a Weak crop of OFF tackles in this draft.

So, value wise it's better to get one a year or two ago and that could've been justified. Other teams can find RTs. There's not only the draft.

For our gaping hole, I would've got a servicable RT in Free Agency (not a star).

I know why they chose Barron, he's off the chart with the times and the arm length, etc. Of course he has the gifts - big time - and maybe he'll mature and I'll eat crow. However, traditionally Right Tackles are mean. They are asked to do more run blocking (not a Barron strength) and they just tend to be more physcial than Barrron.

They guys with such good workout numbers (like Barron) are enticing and I thought we didn't have the luxury of that Gamble with all our previously documented Right Tackle woes.

We have him - so it's moot. I, like you guys, hope he gets the eye of the tiger and dominates for the next 12 years.

The DEF (Marmie) and ORT are really frustrating to me because they've lingered and not been fixed repeatedly (IMO) AND because there is such TALENT that can be squandered.. Kevin Curtis, Torry Holt, Pace, Bulger, Bruce, Jackson, Leonard Little..

These guys should be in the championship game. I don't even know why Marmie was in the running.. (okay I'll let it go (for now).

rammiser is offline Registered User

Look I thought Barron played like crap too. During a interview during the game Bulger was asked about the offensive line. His answer seemed a bit odd or was a ringing endorsement of Barron. He was asked a question about Pace and he commented on Pace being like an x on the left side because you dont have to worry about the defensive end there. Then he said "as soon as we get the other big #70 on the right side the o-line will be fine". That sounds to me like Bulger isnt comfortable with what we have over there right now thats for sure. Sounds like Bulger can't wait for Barron to be at RT. I dont know if that's good news or bad news, because if Bulger isnt comfortable with whats there now what if Barron doesnt pan out?
    Just Fix It

BobNWeave Guest

What point does all this berating of this guy have?

Barron is a talent, and it will take a while. Everyone knows that. But to go on and on about him missing camp. It's over, get over it, quit aggravating your players Martz!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Why do the Rams constantly think Journeymen Linemen will overachieve and be able to perform at a high level.
    I think this is the real question. It is a shame that the one time the FO made an effort to bolster the RT, bad luck had more to do with how Turley panned out than anything else. The high octane offense requires an established OL. You can't be gerry-rigging a blocking scheme on the fly. At this rate the Rams are going to need all 4 QBs to stay on the roster. Bulger isn't going to survive.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Wow I watched the game he played with the scubs, he looked ok. Jackie had sone good things to say as he watched the replays. he made some mistakes give the guy some time. He will be great! Mike needs to get on his first unit "D", not his rookies.

coy bacon Guest

Ramhard,
    Da answer you question are simple, Rams should be draft DT Luis Castillo!

No braner!

;-)

RamsFan16 Guest

i wanted thomas davis

STLRAMSFAN Guest
    I have no problems taking Barron if you look at the long term. Think of all the players available which would be the biggest upgrade to this team with one year of NFL experience. That young person coming into next year I think is Baron he plays the position with our biggest need. All rookies are young and inexperienced few are probowlers their first year. Baron has that type of potential this year no chance two or three years from now he has a chance. What other players in the draft have a better chance at a need position then him to be a probowler? I am willing to wait until next year to judge this years draft.

sorry couldnt leave this alone the Big O coming in had some problems with technique also it did not take him long to grasp the technque but we have given Baron just a few practices lets hold off a while until mid season on him before we start the bashing. Lets leave that to Mad Mike to motivate the poor sole.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-22-2005 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Merged together to eliminate double post

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I wanted Jammal Brown.
    I think a lot of us did, but many believed Barron was on equal footing with Brown in terms of value. And I suspect the only reason Brown went first is because he's a natural right tackle, and more teams above us were in need of that. That said, I wouldn't have given up a third rounder in 2006 to go up and get him.

So, value wise it's better to get one a year or two ago and that could've been justified.
    We weren't in position to get one of the better tackle prospects a year or two ago.

In the 2004 draft, we picked toward the bottom of round one and traded up to get Steven Jackson, not a selection I would take back. Personally, I think 2004's class of tackles was weaker overall than this year's - after Gallery, the first day pickings were slim.

In 2003, you could make a case that the Rams should have drafted a tackle instead of someone like Kennedy if you don't think he's developed fast enough, but Jordan Gross went before we could pick, I'm not sure I like George Foster or Kwame Harris as high as we were, and in rounds two or three, we wouldn't have Pisa or Curtis on our team if we decided to go tackle instead.

The best opportunity to get an offensive tackle for a team needing one may actually be this coming draft, because you have A LOT of talented first round worthy tackles coming out - Ferguson, Scott, Winston, Justice, Whitworth, McNeil - though a lot of them are left tackles as well. But the Rams didn't want to wait another year, and grabbed arguably the best one in this draft. Barron may not be ready to play now, but his talent alone yields a lot of potential for years to come.

I don't know, I guess I'm just not seeing a lot of alternatives for the last year or two that don't in some way hurt our team in other areas. It'd be one thing if we completely blew a pick could have had a great RT. But I don't see where that's happened the last two years, at least on the first days. The second days, well, I dunno... I didn't look at them.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AlphaRam Guest

Hopefully Barron's newness to camp and the game accounted for his play. We can only hope he develops fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast