RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz can't hide the injuries any more

ESPN.com news services

In a new directive sent Monday to all 32 NFL teams, commissioner Paul Tagliabue laid down new ground rules for reporting injuries that is certain to draw disapproval from NFL coaches who are guarded in their public disclosures.

Tagliabue said that teams may no longer simply list a player as having a "leg injury," but must specify whether the injury is an "ankle, knee, calf or thigh." He stressed that teams must be factual and accurate with their information.

The memo also went so far as to tell teams that they must report any player who does not participate in the full-team (11-on-11) portion of any practice, and the reason for that player's non-participation.

In addition, it encouraged coaches to open at least a part of practice to the media, although it did not make that mandatory.

Some coaches, including New England's Bill Belichick, have been accused of deliberately fudging injuries, claiming that to disclose what area of the body is hurting would encourage opponents to deliberately go after the sore spot. However, the competition committee, which approved the memo, includes coaches Jeff Fisher of Tennessee and Mike Holmgren of Seattle.

Tagliabue also will require that Friday be the new mandatory day to update injuries. Previously, teams would provide injury updates on Wednesday and Thursday, although some have been reprimanded for not disclosing a significant or worsened injury that may have occurred during a Friday practice.

Tagliabue promised strict enforcement of the new ground rules, telling clubs that the league will screen random videotapes.

"The policy will be strictly enforced and violations will be subject to disciplinary action," the commissioner warned in the memo.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press contributed to this report
    Last edited by RamWraith; -08-16-2004 at 09:11 PM.

serkicker32 Guest

Re: Martz can't hid the injuries any more

i completely agree with Bill Belichick on this, my coaches have always told me that if you git one ankle taped you gotta tape the other or else they will attack the hurt one, and I have always believed it and if any of ya'll have played football you would know its true too.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Any time I think about New England and injuries, I remember the regular season game against the Colts last season. I remember the Colts were driving toward the end zone on what could have been a game-winning drive and Willie McGinest went down on the field with what looked like some injury to his leg, which was convenient for the Pats since they were reeling and were out of timeouts. Then, when play resumed and the Pats stopped the Colts on the goalline, McGinest took off sprinting down the field with his arm raised in victory. Not exactly a pillar of honesty being bred in New England.

I know that's unrelated, but that's what I thought of when I read the article.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Just another example of how the Pats cheat to win. Sub par talent with an over achieving coach. I am not sure why I dislike this team so much, but it is becoming clearer adnd clearer. More and more rules being added and rechecked because of one team.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Any time I think about New England and injuries, I remember the regular season game against the Colts last season. I remember the Colts were driving toward the end zone on what could have been a game-winning drive and Willie McGinest went down on the field with what looked like some injury to his leg, which was convenient for the Pats since they were reeling and were out of timeouts. Then, when play resumed and the Pats stopped the Colts on the goalline, McGinest took off sprinting down the field with his arm raised in victory. Not exactly a pillar of honesty being bred in New England.

I know that's unrelated, but that's what I thought of when I read the article.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Martz can't hide the injuries any more

LOL

You guys are just too funny.

This is football for cryin out loud!!

:ramlogo:

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Interesting how many ways the Patriots under Belichick have taken advantage of vague or unenforced rules.

The "tuck" play (not his doing, but they took advantage of it)...

Their creative way of defending receivers (i.e. tackling them when they try to run patterns)...

and now this.

I respect a good coach, but Belichick is kind of a dirty coach, if you ask me.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'd have to agree with you, Avenger.