Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lakerams Guest

Martz Is The Greatest Thing Ever to Happen To.....

any opposing team.

as long as he is the HC and roaming the sidelines, the opposing team knows the game will ultimately become one-dimensional and Martz' ego will allow them to create turnovers.

yes, Martz sure is the greatest thing to happen to the Rams, er... any team playing the Rams.

tanus is offline Registered User

Re: Martz Is The Greatest Thing Ever to Happen To.....

seriously, grow up.

lakerams Guest

that's mature.

just because someone voices their opinion and it doesn't agree with your opinion, you have to insult them. that's real mature.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't see that Martz could have done a lot different last night. The defense was horrible. Martz doesn't mess with the defense, everyone knows that. The offense was moving pretty well but couldn't keep up with the 'cons offense (thanks again, D). He had no choice, he couldn't run when we were down by double digits in the second half.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

how many more threads are you going to create or talk on and say the same mindless crap?

i find it quite humorous how you blame martz when he lost to a better team. granted we could have played better, but we still the falcons are a better team than us this year.

playoffs 4 out of 5 years and you want the guy fired. let me guess, you think bill cowher is a great coach just because his team is good this year, right?

lakerams Guest

no, Cowher is a better coach because he knows how to adapt his gameplan to his opponents strengths/weaknesses.

Martz has proven that his is incapable of change. that is why I think he is not a good head coach.

making the playoffs 4 out of 5 years means diddly squat. that just means you can coach against the crappy teams you face during the season. a great coach wins games in the playoffs ( like Belichick ).

it's the same reason Dungy will never be considered a great coach ( because he can't win the big games ). it's the same reason Reid is not a great coach ( 3 years in a row he has lost in the NFC championship game ).

but, I suppose you would be happy just making the NFC championship game very year and not winning ( judging from the fact you keep mentioning Martz' ability to get the team into the playoffs, but unable to win when it counts ).

you can be happy with making it to the playoffs every year and losing, but I expect more, I want more, and I'm saddened by the fact that so many of you are just happy making it to the playoffs.

Martz' record in the playoffs 3-4.
    if you exclude the year they made it to the Superbowl and lost, his playoff record is an impressive 1-4.

so, go ahead and be happy. I, for one, want more and expect more.

LOL, so according to you there is only 1 great head coach in the NFL. Awesome.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by lakerams
    you can be happy with making it to the playoffs every year and losing, but I expect more, I want more, and I'm saddened by the fact that so many of you are just happy making it to the playoffs.
    You're right. We should go out and hire one of those 24 coaches whose teams didn't get as far as we did. That would fix our problems.

Seriously though, making the playoffs is the birthright of no team. This league is determined to bring parity to every level of competition. This isn't the 60's, 70's, or even the 80's, change comes fast and furious in the NFL. To make the playoffs in 4 of 5 seasons now, is as close to a dynasty as NFL fans will ever see. That's just the way things are nowadays. I don't like it either, but it's just the facts of life in the NFL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lakerams
    a great coach wins games in the playoffs ( like Belichick )...

...you can be happy with making it to the playoffs every year and losing, but I expect more, I want more, and I'm saddened by the fact that so many of you are just happy making it to the playoffs.

...Martz' record in the playoffs 3-4.
    if you exclude the year they made it to the Superbowl and lost, his playoff record is an impressive 1-4.

so, go ahead and be happy. I, for one, want more and expect more.
    gee...get real...as in reality...even greatness is defined by a point in time/space...meaning nothing outside of a controlled environment is consistent, thus predictable...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

As bison said, this isn't the late 80s or early 90s anymore. 32 teams in this league means talent is spread out more than it used to be, and the salary cap keeps teams from keeping superstar line-ups for years at a time. Players move on, and the cap catches up with people.

Look at how far some of the Super Bowl teams have fallen - Oakland, Carolina, Tampa Bay, the Giants, etc etc. You make a run and then often times the cap and free agency forces you back down to Earth, sometimes even below in the case of teams like Oakland or the Giants.

To be able to bring in new talent and continue to make regular playoff appearances is an accomplishment, whether you'd care to admit it or not. While I wouldn't necessarily say anyone is happy about what happened this weekend, for this team to come further than I expected it to certainly doesn't make me feel like grabbing my pitchfork and looking up Martz's home address.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm with Laker on this one. This team didn't outperform expectations, they unexpectedly made it to the playoffs with an 8-8 record. Most of this board scoffed at the idea of the team going 8-8 or 7-9 (where they should have been) at the start of the year. This team's only ray of hope is the fact that the NFC is a joke right now.

They're not even in the top half of the league in scoring (#19), had a -24 turnover ratio, the coach takes one step farther away from reality every year, the defense and special teams haven't improved since Martz took over and they can't even win the worst division in football.

There are way more negatives than positives at this point and a lot of change on the horizon. Martz hasn't got the best track record when it comes to change or instituting plans/schemes/personnel to make things better. 2000/2001 is looong gone and 2003 looks like it was an accident. Every year a little more erodes from the team he inherited in 1999 and I will be surprised if he can rebuild to the level of a championship team.

*)80 is GOD(* Guest

Bring back Vermeil!!!! Tha would be great =)

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, Martz didn't whiff on tackles. Martz didn't drop passes on third down that would have given the Rams a first down. Martz didn't lose his man on pass coverage. Martz didn't overpursue on run defense. Martz didn't drop interceptions.

WILLN107 is offline Registered User

The Rams did not look motivated or prepared for the Falcons and that is the Head Coaches job to get them there. The offense did a good job and played hard but Martz's stepchildren didn't come to play. I don't think there is a coach that can come in here and improve the offense but there has got to be someone that can pay a little attention to the Defence and Special teams next year and I hope they find them.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Martz had his moments this year, So did the rams on the field! This Team had several injuries that kept them at a stalemate to improve. My expectations this year were up and down. When the off season stuff starts and the Rams don't go after our needs ,then the front office will start to look suspect. If the Rams can't get the players they need to run this high powered O,then don't expect miracles next year. And if they continue to miss on talent opportunities , or draft more busts , then Martz should be let go because his talent needs talent to move on from this rut they are in at this point! I guess we all could settle for making the playoffs every year, but until the Talent needed to get back to the ELITE is found, We may find ourselves in the middle of mediocrety! This off season will be big!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast