Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Martz guys

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Martz guys

Everything that goes right people seem to attribute to Martz. So I guess we should keep Marmie because he is a Martz guy. That means he canít be bad right.

Some people act like it would have been no different if Martz were coaching the last two games. I seem to remember Martz saying he installed some defensive schemes against Seattle and taking the blame for them. Do you think he would have made the right defensive calls the last two games or left it up to Marmie like he had said he should have done against Seattle instead of meddling. While Vitt set on the side line and laughed his ass off at the co-defensive coordinators.

This is the second year of Marmelade and I am getting full of Marmelade.

So is Marmie a Martz guy?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Is Marmie a Martz guy???

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    Everything that goes right people seem to attribute to Martz. So I guess we should keep Marmie because he is a Martz guy. That means he canít be bad right.

Some people act like it would have been no different if Martz were coaching the last two games. I seem to remember Martz saying he installed some defensive schemes against Seattle and taking the blame for them. Do you think he would have made the right defensive calls the last two games or left it up to Marmie like he had said he should have done against Seattle instead of meddling. While Vitt set on the side line and laughed his ass off at the co-defensive coordinators.

This is the second year of Marmelade and I am getting full of Marmelade.

So is Marmie a Martz guy?
    Martz has made some bad calls, some questionable calls, and some good calls. Bringing in your friend as the Def Co from a weak Arizona Def is bad, drafting Curtis and Barron was good, drafting Canidate was bad etc. So you take the good with the bad. Has Martz made more bad calls then good calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Everything that goes right people seem to attribute to Martz.
    Actually, it's the exact opposite. When things go wrong for the Rams, it seems most fans blame Martz. When things go right, Martz's name usually doesn't come up when the credit is passed out, unless someone is making the case that it went right in spite of Martz.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Smile Re: Is Marmie a Martz guy???

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Martz has made some bad calls, some questionable calls, and some good calls. Bringing in your friend as the Def Co from a weak Arizona Def is bad, drafting Curtis and Barron was good, drafting Canidate was bad etc. So you take the good with the bad. Has Martz made more bad calls then good calls?
    I agree my point exactly but some people lately are attributing anything good to Martz.

I cannot say he has made more bad then good. But I also can say he has not made a significant amount of good calls over bad. It would be tough to prove either way and be a very long thread if we started analyzing all his moves.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Nick lately is what I meant I keep seeing "he is a Martz guy".

Please read the whole thread.

tim Guest

It seems to me there are far more people who attribute everything bad that happens to Martz than those who attribute everything good to Martz.

edit; ok i should read the whole thread this has already been said.

Nick lately is what I meant I keep seeing "he is a Martz guy".

Please read the whole thread.
    I did read the whole thread, thank you. What I quoted was your statement, which did not include the word "lately."

I think people are emphasizing Martz's role in what's going on because so many people choose to emphasize Martz's mistakes while giving him no credit for his successes.

Therefore, it's interesting to see that this team in Martz's absense is doing well, but largely on the back of "Martz guys" like Jackson, Curtis, Barron, Pisa, etc etc. Martz has made his mistakes, but it should be clear he's had a number of successes as well. People ready to lavish the praise on Vitt for the job he's done should keep that in mind.

Tony Soprano Guest

Martz's ability to find and develop QBs and Wide Receivers is RARE. That's RARE with a capital R, there will be teams waiting with baited breath for Martz, because the man can develop Awesome offenses.

Martz hand picked Lovie Smith (and Lovie is doing just fine with his Defense in Chicago). So it's not that he can NOT evaluate Defensive Coaches. He can.

YES, Marmie is a Martz guy. I think Marmie was/is a bad choice, and I think Marmie has never achieved at the NFL Level as a coordinator. I don't know if it's extreme loyalty or what, but Marmie is a Martz screw-up in my opinion.

So, Martz is NOT perfect.. But Martz is innovative, and I've heard this from other NFL coaches and GMs - that's Martz's strength. Like George Seifert and Bill Walsh - a coach running someone else's system usually runs into trouble when the adjustments are not made as fast or as
    cleverly. Because in the NFL other teams adjust, and you have to answer them almost monthly.

Martz, imperfect and all, will be missed.. However, it will take some time. We have MANY Offensive weapons, and we'll be alright on OFF for some time.

Probably around 60% of NFL teams can't find a Good NFL QB.... So you know how valuable that makes Martz right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    YES, Marmie is a Martz guy. I think Marmie was/is a bad choice, and I think Marmie has never achieved at the NFL Level as a coordinator. I don't know if it's extreme loyalty or what, but Marmie is a Martz screw-up in my opinion.
    The more we hear about problems in the front office and how they dislike Martz so much, it makes me wonder if Mike insisted on bringing in Larry Marmie because he wanted someone in Rams Park he could trust and who would have his back, someone who wasn't telling jokes about him at the water cooler.

RealRam is offline Registered User

YES, Marmie is a Martz guy. I think Marmie was/is a bad choice, and I think Marmie has never achieved at the NFL Level as a coordinator. I don't know if it's extreme loyalty or what, but Marmie is a Martz screw-up in my opinion. --T. Soprano
    You beat me to it, Tony. Exactly what I had in mind. :1:

Marmie is most definitely a Martz man -- a mistake. And I wouldn't br surprised to hear Coach Martz try to protect Marmie (as he's done before already). A Martz weakness, no doubt.

That doesn't take away the much more meritorious achievements of madness and success since 1999.

Tony Soprano Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    The more we hear about problems in the front office and how they dislike Martz so much, it makes me wonder if Mike insisted on bringing in Larry Marmie because he wanted someone in Rams Park he could trust and who would have his back, someone who wasn't telling jokes about him at the water cooler.
    Very true! Anyone who's been through a divorce can tell you that your circumstances can change your thinking.
    The Front Office strategy may have been to STRESS Martz.
    It certainly seems like a terrible environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    It certainly seems like a terrible environment.
    Which is why it's so hard to imagine anyone with half a brain wanting to come into this environment to coach football. No wonder Joe Vitt is already on record as saying he doesn't want the job.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Man the Martz backers really come out in force when you ask a simple question about a Martz guy. I am neither for nor against but wow some will defend him to the end as their guy.

It always makes me laugh when someone starts a new thread on a discussion forum, and then complains when actual discussion takes place. :drunk:

STLRAMSFAN Guest

LMAO I am not complaining I am simply stating a fact some people really are quick to defend him its not bad its just funny to me. Some people are calling everyone good lately a Martz guy and then when I mention the name Marmie their like well uhhhhhh. Okay some of the Martz guys are not great and maybe he did make some mistakes.

He has done good and bad that was my point and I encourage everyone to say how they feel about Marmie being a Martz guy. Even if you don’t think he is a Martz guy I encourage discussion. I just found several people were interested in talking about Martz guys lately.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-01-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast