Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Martz guys

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Is Marmie a Martz guy???

So, in reaction to all this talk about the multiple Martz guys who are doing well, your point was to specifically point out one who didn't. And it's the Martz backers that have a motive in this thread, right? Hmm.

Look, I don't think you're going to find many people who are going to defend the Marmie hiring as good for the team. And there are a number of instances of "Martz guys" not working out. Just because some people are making it a point to note Martz's influences on this team doesn't mean they don't understand or realize the mistakes he's made as well.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by STL
    Some people are calling everyone good lately a Martz guy and then when I mention the name Marmie their like well uhhhhhh.
    Things you are most likely to find in order of probablity:

1. Bigfoot, an alien, & the Loch Ness monster playing poker
    2. Barbara Streisand singing the national anthem before a Monster Truck show
    3. Anyone claiming Marmie was a good idea

Martz has made his mistakes....Trung and Travis Scott come to mind.......but hiring Marmie is at the top of the list. They may be pals, and with the bunch of back-stabbers (excuse me Samir), I mean, throat-slashers lurking in the halls of Rams Park looking to bring down Martz, he probably felt he needed a pal around him. However, nobody is going to say Marmie was anything short of a bad idea.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Probably, but does it really matter?

Is Vitt a Martz guy?

Was Martz one of DV's guys?

One thing I have come to realize about Martz is that whatever he says I have to take with a grain of salt.

When Lovie was hired Martz claimed that Lovie was his first choice for DC. When marmie was hired Martz says that they tried to get him back in 01, but he was not available. So, which is it Mike?

Too much is made of coaches in my opinion. I generally hold players accountable before a coach. Ultimately players are the ones who have to execute the plays that are called within the scheme and philosophy. Whether the play calls, scheme and philosophy are the best for the situation at hand is up for speculation.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

D front 7 except Little are they Martz guys ????

All the front 7 on defense last year and this year are Martz guys except Little he is a Vermeil guy.

Last year against Atlanta we lost 47-17 they only had 84 yards passing because it was so easy running they gave up passing. They had 327 yards rushing or 8.2 yards per carry with 3 TDs.

Last year against Atlanta are front 7 was:

DE Little (Vermeil guy)
    DT Pickett
    DT Kennedy/Lewis
    DE Hargrove/Fisher
    LB Polley
    LB Thomas
    LB Pisa

Last game we talked about how our defense stepped up when it had to which it did. But they still had 221 yards rushing or 7.9 yards per rush. This is with two new LBs that Martz picked up in the off-season.

Last game against the Jags are front 7 was:

DE Hargrove
    DT Pickett
    DT Kennedy/Lewis
    DE Jackson/Green
    LB Pisa
    LB Claiborne
    LB Coakley

Everyone except Little listed is a Martz guy they came after Martz Little came before he is a Vermeil guy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: D front 7 except Little are they Martz guys ????

Two things.

1) Would Claiborne/Coakley be considered Marmie guys? After all, Marmie came in 2004 and had to run with Lovie's players. The Rams rid themselves of Polley and Thomas, and made Claiborne/Coakley an offseason priority. Was that Martz's call or Marmie's?

2) I believe Damione Lewis is a Lovie Smith guy, but I'm not positive on this one.

If you're associating them with Martz because he was the head coach when they were brought in, that's one thing. But if you're associating them with the person resonsible for their being a Ram, that's another.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    But if you're associating them with the person resonsible for their being a Ram, that's another.
    As HEAD COACH not offensive coordinator you have the final say on players not the defensive coordinator. You discuss with the D coordinator that you hired Lovie or Marmie to evaluate players with you. As head coach you have the final say as to whom you get on the team not the D coordinator because you are the D coordinators BOSS you hired him. So even if what you are saying is he failed only in picking the D coordinator. Then the least he could do is not fail in giving his final word when evaluating with the defensive coordinator the personnel. As HEAD COACH not OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR you have the final say not the D coordinator. If you don’t like the direction or personnel you change it you are the BOSS.

Martz is the one that said they would like to go with bigger LBs and he picked the D coordinator he wanted to do it. I am sure in Martz interview of Marmie/Lovie they discussed the defensive philosophy that Martz as HEAD COACH wanted and that is why he picked them. They were on page with the defensive philosophy Martz wanted to bring in.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-01-2005 at 09:42 PM.

sbramfan Guest

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm tired of who's who's guy, and who built what.

4-4, with a bye week. Vitt's the coach right now. Martz possibly could be back next year, but not looking likely.

I guess I'm over it. They won the last 2 games and there's a chance to go into Seattle and get this thing in gear.

Go Rams!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Why did Martz start the season with 4 of 5 OL who were Vermeil guys ????

Four of our five OL we started the season with where Vermeil guys. Hell Vermeil left 6 years ago don’t he know these guys are almost ready to draw social security. Everyone here keeps talking about how we can’t open holes to run before it used to be we don’t have time to pass without getting sacked. These guys are getting old did he not have adequate time to replace Vermeil guys hell I think he dug one of them up last year out of retirement. Man they must have been damn good at one time for Martz to go digging them up from the dead. The fifth RT was a problem for long time I remember not so long ago we had Sinclair he was a Martz guy and he looked like a turnstile. Thank god for the second RT in the draft to be Barron and fall to us. He was projected higher early and it was a huge glaring need for us I don’t think a monkey could mess up that pick. I think Martz really wanted a DB their but the guy he wanted did not fall in his lap. Thank god Barron is a Martz guy even if he was or was not his second choice at that position.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-01-2005 at 11:08 PM.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Who are the 4 Martz guys in the defensive backfield ????

You really need a score card to keep track of all the players in and out of these position over the past couple years. It was not long ago that we had Jason Seahorn at his worst. What does the future hold at all 4 positions? They all could be up for grabs again next year? Which DBs are Martz guys?
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-01-2005 at 10:27 PM.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Is Vitt winning because three non Martz guys are out Holt, Bruce, and Little.

Could it be that Vitt is winning because three ProBowl non Martz guys are out Holt, Bruce and Little which allows him to start more Martz guys.

It cant be that Vitt and Fairchild have this team playing as a team and that they are doing a good job without Martz could it?

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Is Vitt winning because three non Martz guys are out Holt, Bruce, and Little.

I don't know but when those guys come back I don't want to see the air it out offense again.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Who are the 4 Martz guys in the defensive backfield ????

I think Mike Furrey and Adam Archuleta will be back there again. I may get smashed for this but I believe under the circumstances of those two that they both could make the Pro Bowl sometime soon. They'll be good back there for awhile

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Other then Jeff Wilkins who is a Vermeil guy how do you think our ST has been ????

Over the last few years other then Jeff Wilkins our kicker and best special teams tackler who is a Vermeil guy how do you think the Martz guys on ST have played over the last few years?

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Why did Martz sign two TEs that were Vermeil guys ????

Why did Martz sign two TEs Roland Williams and Jeff Robinson? They were Vermeil guys didn’t he have faith in Manu who is a Martz guy. He even had Roland ahead of Manu on the depth chart before the injury.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-02-2005 at 12:20 AM.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

It would be nice to have Dre Bly back right now.

Bly was a Vermeil guy and he wound up making the ProBowl in 2003 with Detroit the year after we decided we could not pay him enough. He has 4 INTs in 6 games this year.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast