Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    lakerams Guest

    Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    I know there are alot of Martz fans here, but he has to go. it is his responsibility to get his team ready for each game and he clearly didn't get the job done.

    he had 2 weeks to prepare for this game and the Patriots were descimated in the secondary. this should have been a big win. instead it is a big loss.

    I've heard all the arguements that this team does not have the talent on the defensive side of the ball or the offensive line. but you can't tell me if Belichek was coaching this team that he would be getting the most out of this team and they would be winning.

    the Patriots don't have superstars on their team. can you even name an offensive lineman on the Patriots? exactly my point. no real superstars but dominating the NFL.

    Belichek chould turn this team around with the same personel. no doubt about it. Martz has not made the most of his tenure and that is why it is time for him to go.

    now, will the Rmas actually fire him? NO!!!!! they will blame it on the defense and fire Marmie and Martz will skate by again.

    sorry Martz fans and supporters, but you know I am right about this.

    if another coach could make winners out of the dame personel and the coach you have can't, it's time to fire the coach.


  2. #2
    RamWraith's Avatar
    RamWraith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,230
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    Ram fans will eat these words one day!!

    Be careful what you all wish for, there would be a million teams willing to take him off your hands.

  3. #3
    rampete is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern Cal
    Posts
    654
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    martz will have little trouble finding a new job as an offensive coordinator...maybe georgia will rehire chuck knox as the new hc... :upset:

  4. #4
    general counsel Guest

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    The fact that martz may not be as good a coach as Bellichick, who is widely considered the best coach in the game, does not make him a lousy coach.

    EXECUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or lack thereof as the case may be)

    No insult intended, but many of the people screaming for martz to be fired were also screaming for bobby april to be fired. Well, he was fired and our special teams still stink.

    general counsel

  5. #5
    thoey's Avatar
    thoey is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    Maybe we fired the wrong guy??? Who was April's boss??? Who gave him the players to play with?
    This space for rent...

  6. #6
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,931
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    This topic is brought up regularly, but no one who calls for Martz's head has a realistic - REALISTIC! - alternative. Out of the pool of possible available coaches, who is going to do a better job with this team than Martz?

    My answer: no one.

    You can talk about how much better you think Belicheck would do with this team, but let's face it - Belicheck isn't going to be looking for a job any time soon, is he? That doesn't even begin to cover the massive personnel changes that would be necessary to play the kind of defense the Patriots are running. We don't even have one strong MLB, let alone the two we'd need to play in New England's 34 defense.

    For once, I would love for someone who calls for Martz's head to develop a realistic plan of action for the Rams over the next 3-5 seasons in response to losing Martz. Because in my opinion, the alternative don't look that great, peeps.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-08-2004 at 01:20 AM.

  7. #7
    moklerman's Avatar
    moklerman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,597
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    I'll give you a realistic replacement--Dave Wannestedt. I can't stand him as a coach BUT he could whip the defense into shape and his special teams aren't generally a weakness.

    Obviously, Dave doesn't have a history of coaching good offenses but with the talent on the Rams O I think even Dave could put up the 15 that Martz coached the team to today.

    I heard on one of the telecasts today that it's possible Dave could be fired as soon as next Sunday. If ever there was a coach that deserved a break it's Dave right now. He's in the toughest division in football, lost his franchise back, newly acquired pro bowl caliber wr, 2 subsequent backup rb's, pro-bowl lb, and on and on. Granted, he has underachieved(sound familiar?) with the Dolphins and although not all of the things that happened were his fault, he deserves to be fired.

    I don't think Martz's ego could handle such a thing but I would offer him the OC job if he wants to stay but his lack of improvement on defense and special teams and the regression of the offense are all pointint to a change in Rams coaching.

  8. #8
    moklerman's Avatar
    moklerman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,597
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    For once, I would love for someone who calls for Martz's head to develop a realistic plan of action for the Rams over the next 3-5 seasons in response to losing Martz. Because in my opinion, the alternative don't look that great, peeps.
    Pete Carroll or ...dang, I can't think of the coordinator at USC, but both of them might instill some discipline in the Rams. Honestly, there are quite a few possibilities out there. Some are better than other and obviously a coach who's already successful with their current team won't leave that position.

    Just like the run & shoot in Houston and the Jim Kelly led Bills, high-octane, trick offenses always go the way of the doe-doe.

    Another thing to remember is that the Rams are in one of the worst divisions in football right now but that will be changing soon. Our mediocre defense, special teams and unspectacular offense won't be able to fall back on Arizona, Seattle and SF being winnable games. They were actually talking about that in regards do Martz today. Apparently the announcers and Martz were talking about how it's only important to win the division. It doesn't matter if the Rams are 7-9, just that they win the division. I couldn't believe my ears. Is that the attitude that he's instilling in the players? Whatever happened to Max Q? It was a lofty goal but at least it was a positive attitude.

  9. #9
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,931
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I'll give you a realistic replacement--Dave Wannestedt.
    As defensive coordinator? Perhaps. As head coach? No.

    I like though how you think Dave Wannstedt is more likely to surpass the 15-point mark with this offense than Mike Martz is. Wow! Can't say I'm feeling that one.


    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Pete Carroll or ...dang, I can't think of the coordinator at USC, but both of them might instill some discipline in the Rams.
    Have either expressed interest in coming to the NFL? Because I'm looking for guys who are going to be in the NFL coaches pool next season. We've heard a lot about guys like Haslett or Wanny being available, but have we heard anything about these USC guys?

  10. #10
    lakerams Guest

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    great point Mok-

    7-9 as long as they win the division is his goal? that is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.

    as for a replacement for Martz, I'll take any coach who understands that you need to call a balanced game and utilize one of the most explosive weapons in the game ( Faulk ).

    look at todays game plan. 19 rushing attempts in 57 plays, a 2-1 ratio.

    I would've made Lovie HC and let the Bears have Martz.

    by the way, I won't be eating my words. the Rams will be a more balanced and disciplined team without Martz. the Rams have had the most talent the past 5 years and Martz has wasted that talent.

    Pete Carroll's friends have mentioned that he wants to get back into the NFL ( just so you know ).
    Last edited by lakerams; -11-08-2004 at 02:20 AM.

  11. #11
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    7,895
    Rep Power
    66

    No, I don't think so, but...

    Sorry Martz fans and supporters, but you know I am right about this. --Lakeram
    As an honest Martz supporter, I must say I disagree. However (also quite honestly), I am just too disappointed, too frustrated and sad right now to argue or debate your point, Lakeram. This question has been brought up a number of times here and elsewhere -- and I respect it.

    Seahawks defeating SF didn't help either! I hope we will improve and fast.

  12. #12
    RamTime Guest

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    It would be dumb to fire Martz right now. Absolutely ludicrist. If your going to fire Martz then you have to do it 4 years ago. Martz should be fired 4 years ago when he started displaying his lack of ability. Or he should have been fired 3 years ago when he showed that he was stubborn in his ways and refused to change. At best he should have been fired 2 years ago when the nucleus of the greatest Rams team ever was depleting and our chance at multiple championships was treated like unwanted fat on the bone of a chicken and wasted precious years like the federal government waste your tax dollars. I stood nearly alone in 2000 when I called for his head and soon I will stand in the same company when I say we shouldn't fire him, we have to much invested in him and he is now an experienced head coach. Sure it was at the expense of some damned fine rams teams to get him on the head-coaching page but that's my entire point. We have invested to much in him, lets see what he can do to pull himself out of a real whole not an artificial hole like the illusion the 2000 defense created making people believe that Martz fixed something that was really broken. Ignored was the fact that he had to go into the off season to fix the problem, Ignored was the fact that he could not do it on the fly while his offense was scoring points that would rival the first half of a Lakers game. Folks just forgot about the gargantuan waste of the 2000 season and started applauding the new defense as if there was some magic performed by Martz to vault the worst defense in the NFL (3rd worst in history) into the top 5 in only one season. It seems we do a lot of worst to first and vice versa in several categories under this coach. There were very few who saw that the potential for waste was alarming however as the games went on and the years went by more fans started hopping off Martz's bandwagon and onto the bandwagon of concern. The concern of "What if we waste these years". Now were going to fire him for wasting those teams? seems stupid to me and a little late to boot.

    Don't be a fool and light yourself on fire in public again.
    Keep Martz!

  13. #13
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,298
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    This team has three problems:
    1. RT
    2. CB
    3. CB
    Firing Martz won't fix any of those. Teams know two things will beat the Rams. Bring pressure from the left side of the D and run routes directly into the Rams CBs. If a team does those two things, they have the basic components needed to beat the NFL. If a CPA from Republic, MO can figure this out, I'm sure every NFL coach knows it. Unfortunately, we don't have the personnel to fix these problems. By personnel, I mean we don't have a RT that's going to dam the water and we don't have corners that can play man or a DC that is clever enough to keep our corners from these island situations that opposing OCs keep putting us in. The deletion of Martz will not fix these problems. The deletion of Marmie and offseason priority placed on a quality RT and CB will.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  14. #14
    adarian_too's Avatar
    adarian_too is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Hollow
    Posts
    1,378
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    It would be dumb to fire Martz right now. Absolutely ludicrist. If your going to fire Martz then you have to do it 4 years ago. Martz should be fired 4 years ago when he started displaying his lack of ability. Or he should have been fired 3 years ago when he showed that he was stubborn in his ways and refused to change. At best he should have been fired 2 years ago when the nucleus of the greatest Rams team ever was depleting and our chance at multiple championships was treated like unwanted fat on the bone of a chicken and wasted precious years like the federal government waste your tax dollars. I stood nearly alone in 2000 when I called for his head and soon I will stand in the same company when I say we shouldn't fire him, we have to much invested in him and he is now an experienced head coach. Sure it was at the expense of some damned fine rams teams to get him on the head-coaching page but that's my entire point. We have invested to much in him, lets see what he can do to pull himself out of a real whole not an artificial hole like the illusion the 2000 defense created making people believe that Martz fixed something that was really broken. Ignored was the fact that he had to go into the off season to fix the problem, Ignored was the fact that he could not do it on the fly while his offense was scoring points that would rival the first half of a Lakers game. Folks just forgot about the gargantuan waste of the 2000 season and started applauding the new defense as if there was some magic performed by Martz to vault the worst defense in the NFL (3rd worst in history) into the top 5 in only one season. It seems we do a lot of worst to first and vice versa in several categories under this coach. There were very few who saw that the potential for waste was alarming however as the games went on and the years went by more fans started hopping off Martz's bandwagon and onto the bandwagon of concern. The concern of "What if we waste these years". Now were going to fire him for wasting those teams? seems stupid to me and a little late to boot.

    Don't be a fool and light yourself on fire in public again.
    Keep Martz!
    Just because he wasn't fired 4 years ago is reason to keep him after this season? sMartz has been given more leeway than deserved to learn from his OJT. One of his glaring weaknesses has been his uncany ability to not find suitable replacement talent.


    Quote Originally Posted by YouBwrongOnThisOne
    This team has three problems:
    1. RT
    2. CB
    3. CB
    Firing Martz won't fix any of those.

    I think you have forgotten:

    4. LG
    5. KR
    6. MLB
    7. 3rd WR
    8. P

    You probably should add

    9. FS
    10. SS
    11. RDE
    12. DT

    The point is, the list of questions marks gets longer each year under sMartz and with the possible exception of Jackson he has shown no ability to fix the depth issue.

    This team is on the verge of a complete overhaul. Bruce, Williams, and Faulk are just the tip of the iceberg. sMartz has not shown he can replace anyone (even KW). I will take the argument that just because he wasn't fired sooner he should stay longer as unadulterated sarcasm.

  15. #15
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,298
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Martz Has To Go.... PERIOD!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Just because he wasn't fired 4 years ago is reason to keep him after this season? sMartz has been given more leeway than deserved to learn from his OJT. One of his glaring weaknesses has been his uncany ability to not find suitable replacement talent.





    I think you have forgotten:

    4. LG
    5. KR
    6. MLB
    7. 3rd WR
    8. P

    You probably should add

    9. FS
    10. SS
    11. RDE
    12. DT

    The point is, the list of questions marks gets longer each year under sMartz and with the possible exception of Jackson he has shown no ability to fix the depth issue.

    This team is on the verge of a complete overhaul. Bruce, Williams, and Faulk are just the tip of the iceberg. sMartz has not shown he can replace anyone (even KW). I will take the argument that just because he wasn't fired sooner he should stay longer as unadulterated sarcasm.
    Are 4-12 question marks? Of course they are. Do we have potential answers to those? Yes, we do. Are #4-12 exploited every single week by the opposing team? No. Are #1-3 exploited every single week? Yes.

    We can't fix everything, Adarian too. There will always be questions. Every team has questions. Those others would be nice to upgrade, unless we can do it from within, but we HAVE to find replacements at RT & CB. This team has shown that we have nobody on this roster that can successfully stop opponents from attacking these weaknesses.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Martz' fall from grace
    By ramsbruce in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -09-23-2007, 05:52 PM
  2. Martz does things his own way--ESPN Insider
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -07-05-2005, 08:54 AM
  3. Hadley on Martz (long and pretty good)
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: -12-28-2004, 07:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •