RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz is hot topic on NFL shows

BY DAN CAESAR
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/30/2005

Rams coach Mike Martz was a big topic of conversation on the NFL television pregame shows Sunday.

There wasn’t a lot of news that hasn’t already been reported locally regarding the health problems that have led him to stepping down for the rest of the season, and the squabbling inside the organization that strongly indicates that Martz is done as the team’s coach.

CBS aired an interview that Lesley Visser conducted with Martz on Friday at his home. Among the highlights:

“I’ve been coaching for 32 years now and I’ve never missed a practice in the offseason or during the season due to illness,” Martz said. “. . . I’m just a spectator, and that kills you.”

Visser asked him if he thought he was being set up by the front office.

“No, I don’t believe that, I don’t believe that at all,” Martz said. “I think (team president) John Shaw is truly concerned about my health, to be honest with you. I think he’s very concerned about my health, he’s told me that.”

He said he plans to be back with the team next year.

“I’m assuming I (will be),” he said. “So if that’s not going to be the case, I’m not aware of it.

“This is the job I’ve always wanted. This is home for us. This is something that we’ve always told our players and coaches, once you become a Ram you’ll always be part of this town for the rest of your life. So to even think about going someplace else, to ever entertain that thought, to me is heresy.”

The Rams soap opera provided plenty of fodder for the network analysts.

“No matter what Mike Martz says publicly, he knows he has coached his last game in St. Louis,” ESPN’s’ Chris Mortensen said. “. . . Martz even told me that in contract discussions in June, team president John Shaw explained that the Rams only needed to be a .500 team, occasionally go to the playoffs and suggested that going to the Super Bowl would cost the team money because of expenses incurred by that event.

“Whatever the context, Martz has one year left on his Rams contract — there will be a settlement, a buyout, whatever you want to call it. And Martz is hopeful that being 20 games above .500 as a coach will get him another gig. But he has to get healthy first. His agent, Bob LaMonte, told Martz this week that he’s never seen a dead man call a good play.”

CBS’ Boomer Esiason said Martz will be “the most sought-after head coach when he does comes back. Remember, he’s the architect of one of the greatest offenses we’ve ever seen in the NFL.”

Fox’s Terry Bradshaw said he thinks Houston is be a good spot for Martz.

“I would pick Houston simply because of his great offensive mind, and they do need some excitement down in Houston,” Bradshaw said. “ I think he’s got a good QB down there (David Carr) and Mike Martz is brilliant offensively and it would be fun to see him (there) if in fact that’s where he goes.”

Fellow Fox analyst, and former Dallas coach Jimmy Johnson, had the most pointed observation.

“I like Mike Martz better for a bad team than a contender,” he said.

ESPN’s Steve Young put the onus on the front office.

“Stay accountable for the fact you made him your head coach,” Young said. “Whether you like it or not, he’s your guy. If you're going to fire him at the end of the year, fire him. If you’re going to fire him now, fire him.”

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Martz is hot topic on NFL shows

Just remember, Vitt is winning with Martz players and Martz coaches. Vitt has put some very nice tweaks in for both offense and defense, but it's still Mikes team.

Maineram - :clanram:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Smile Re: Martz is hot topic on NFL shows

Quote Originally Posted by maineram
    Just remember, Vitt is winning with Martz players and Martz coaches. Vitt has put some very nice tweaks in for both offense and defense, but it's still Mikes team.

Maineram - :clanram:
    If you are going to say that then you need to also say that 1999-2001 Martz was playing with Vermeils players.
    Also maybe Martz could have won like Vitt if he had not dressed Bulger, Holt, Bruce, Little, Terrell, and Fisher. Sound ridiculous so does trying to minimize what Vitt has done as a HC with half as talented of a team as Martz had.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

Exclamation Re: Martz is hot topic on NFL shows

i just dont understand this ........ if the rams release mike martz and almost everyone is going to try to get him to come to their team why the hell should we let him go. mike martz has something special and the rest of the NFL know that . So everyone wants Martz to leave st.louis so they can have their shot of grabbing him to their team but Martz Wants to stay and i dont think he is going anywhere
    Torry Holt Dont play that

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

“I would pick Houston simply because of his great offensive mind, and they do need some excitement down in Houston,” Bradshaw said. “ I think he’s got a good QB down there (David Carr) and Mike Martz is brilliant offensively and it would be fun to see him (there) if in fact that’s where he goes.”
    If Martz did end up with the Texans, he just might have Reggie Bush along with David Carr and Andre Johnson to toy around with. Would be interesting.
    “I like Mike Martz better for a bad team than a contender,” he said.
    Why would a contender fire its coach?
    Last edited by evil disco man; -10-31-2005 at 01:55 AM.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Isn't Vitt Martz guy......????

RealRam is offline Registered User

That lingering running game "theme" that has been going on forever, and is again hovering naggingly, didn't Rams Marshall Faulk rack up big, historic and memorable yards as a RUNNING BACK too?

Come on, does anyone, with a decent knowledge of their favorite football team ... not have a clue of what they do and do successfully? As in their system, their M.O.?

Yes, yes, yes, alright -- the Rams' GSOT was obviously (and thankfully) an AIR ATTACK. Helloooooo?

But the 1999 and subsequent Rams ran too. How ridiculous to be a fault finder and insist on that absurd subject. Bah!

:football: BTW, anyone remember the game when Mike Martz, from the opening play, called running plays, play after play after play -- not one single pass or reverse, just good'ol up the middle grinding that ended with a TD?

Was that an exhibition game? Or was it a regular game last year? hone:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS
    Isn't Vitt Martz guy......????
    That's right. Which makes me question whether he stands much of a chance with Shaw and Zygmunt come year end.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod