Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Martz leans toward starts for Chandler, S. Jackson

Martz leans toward starts for Chandler, S. Jackson
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Sunday, Dec. 05 2004

Things could change over the course of this week, but it appears better than
    50-50 that quarterback Chris Chandler and running back Steven Jackson both will
    start for the Rams next Sunday at Carolina.

"I think at this point, we're going to go ahead and count on Steven starting
    provided he's healthy," coach Mike Martz said.

Jackson suffered a bruised right knee on his final carry in Sunday's 16-6
    victory over San Francisco. He was replaced by Arlen Harris for the Rams' final
    two offensive plays of the game.

"My knee got rolled up a little bit, but it's all right," Jackson said. "It's
    just one of those things where your body has to get used to being hit like that
    and taking those types of poundings."

Marshall Faulk suited up but didn't play against San Francisco because of a
    bruised left knee.

"We won't know, I think, until the end of the week where Marshall is," Martz
    said. "Marshall needs some time. ... So we're going to be as patient as we can
    and do the right thing by Marshall."

Meanwhile, quarterback Marc Bulger left the Edward Jones Dome at halftime after
    undergoing X-rays for a sprained throwing shoulder. He was thus unavailable for
    reporters after the game.

Although Bulger's injury isn't serious, team officials indicated that it's
    worse than a similar bruised shoulder he suffered Oct. 24 in Miami. Keep in
    mind, the Miami injury might have sidelined Bulger the following Sunday had the
    Rams not had a bye week.

Another concussion for Hargrove

For the second time this season, defensive end Anthony Hargrove suffered a
    concussion on kickoff coverage to start a game. It happened previously in the
    season opener against Arizona. As was the case against the Cardinals, Hargrove
    tried to keep playing against the *****, but eventually was removed from the
    game.

Left tackle Orlando Pace left briefly midway through the fourth quarter because
    of a bruised thigh, but missed only a few plays. Cornerback Jerametrius Butler
    suffered a bruised shoulder early in the third quarter, missed several plays,
    then returned later in the quarter.

Barlow is unimpressed

Two plays after Butler was shaken up, San Francisco running back Kevan Barlow
    suffered a concussion on a jarring tackle by Rams middle linebacker Robert
    Thomas.

"I don't want Robert Thomas to think he got me," Barlow said. "It was a good
    hit. If he had an opportunity to hit me like that, he should have knocked me
    out. He's soft."

Pass blocking is a struggle

Martz hoped to exploit the suspect ***** secondary over the course of Sunday's
    game. But pass blocking problems, particularly on the right side, prevented
    that from happening.

"The (pass) protections were a real issue," Martz said. "A real issue. San
    Francisco did a nice job, but we've got to do a lot better than that down the
    stretch in these last four games."

On the play in which Bulger got hurt, ***** defensive tackle Bryant Young got
    around Rams right tackle Grant Williams for a sack.

Good penalty by Bruce

Martz had no complaints about an offensive pass interference call against Isaac
    Bruce in the end zone late in the second quarter. In fact, it probably
    prevented an interception on a Chandler pass thrown into double coverage.

"Isaac's a smart player, and he's done that before for us in the past," Martz
    said. "That was a very smart move on his part."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

PTHOR Guest

Re: Martz leans toward starts for Chandler, S. Jackson

Regarding the Panalty by Bruce. I'm surprised Martz didn't say, He made a bad decision that cost us 10 yards, I don't mind Interceptions, we just work around them in this Offense.
    Given his lax attitude on INT's that is. I guess they mean more than he lets out. Do you think?

It was a one possession game at that point. The Rams were at the Whiners 34-yard line - inside Wilkins's range. While I'm sure Martz would have shrugged off the interception, Bruce gave them a shot to finish the drive and put points on the board. I'm happy it turned out the way it did.

moklerman Guest

"I think at this point, we're going to go ahead and count on Steven starting
    For those of us living in the past, isn't this eerily familiar? Will it be next week when we get to hear: "Steven Jackson is our RB, yibbit, yibbit, yibbit"?

I'm not even going to bother arguing one guy over the other or the situations in which they played. That's pointless with Rams fans in general. However, I would find it refreshing if Martz would just say it's time to make a change instead of waiting for injuries and then slightly changing his story each week.

I find it more than coincidence that when Martz wants to make a change he relys on the so-called injury to do it for him. He didn't want to risk Warner because of a concussion that Warner denies having and now, Marshall apparently sees the writing on the wall and isn't going to fight it.

I'm glad Jackson and the Rams swiss cheese were able to put up some yards on San Francisco but enjoy it this week everyone. Carolina's going to allow us to see Smoker if he's the 2nd stringer. Carolina's playing good...I mean, good football over the past 5 weeks and is starting to pull it al together. The Rams are just a shell of themselves and it's going to be one of those embarrassing games I think.

lakerams Guest

Mok-

I agree. next week will be a butt kicking for sure.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

We'll watch the game for you and let you know how it turns out. I'd hate for you to be embarrassed.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

"I don't want Robert Thomas to think he got me," Barlow said. "It was a good hit. If he had an opportunity to hit me like that, he should have knocked me
    out. He's soft."
    Here's your chance, Robert. Pin this quote on your locker. Put it on your mirror. Pin it to the ceiling above your bed, so it's the first thing you see when you wake up in the morning. Picture Barlow's face on every running back in the league, starting with Nick Goings. This quote should get you buttstrap-mad every time you think about it. Time to cut loose Robert. You've been called out. Now make every running back in the league pay for Barlow's verbal diarrhea. Explode on every man that stands in your way. Make me a believer, Robert. Make me a believer.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Martz had no complaints about an offensive pass interference call against Isaac
    Hands down, one of the smartest plays I've seen ever.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Here's your chance, Robert. Pin this quote on your locker. Put it on your mirror. Pin it to the ceiling above your bed, so it's the first thing you see when you wake up in the morning. Picture Barlow's face on every running back in the league, starting with Nick Goings. This quote should get you buttstrap-mad every time you think about it. Time to cut loose Robert. You've been called out. Now make every running back in the league pay for Barlow's verbal diarrhea. Explode on every man that stands in your way. Make me a believer, Robert. Make me a believer.
    Exactly. This should be all the motivation Thomas needs to continue playing with that kind of intensity.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If pros need motivation like this, they don't belong playing in a pro league.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Barlow's comment really does serve notice that Rams' opponents still see them as wimp-wristed, smack-them-in-the-mouth-and-they-will-fold, sissies. One hit a season does not make. But Hawaii 5-0 has made two, so RT knows that one hit doesn't have to be a fluke. He has to know though, that as MLB, he has to do that every game. In the NFL there is no room for soft.

Barlow can get away with calling RT soft today because he knows he won't see RT until next season. Now calling someone soft when you know you won't see them for a while may be manly in SF, but in The Hollow, it's just being a punk. But maybe there is a reason why some think the Rams can be punked. RT needs to show why the Rams can't be. It is time to play MLB RT. Make me a believer too.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Now calling someone soft when you know you won't see them for a while may be manly in SF, but in The Hollow, it's just being a punk.
    You have to understand though - in San Francisco, the prerequisites for being manly are very low.

ZING! :redface: