r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Martz On The Mark

As a big time Martz basher, let me say that his performance against the whiners was just as important as what anyone did on the field. He was calm, composed, under control and clear thinking. Obviously he called a great game, and as far as I saw, made no unwise decisions.

Considering what enormous pressure he must have been under last week, the man rose to the challenge and got it done. He’s been willing to accept blame lately and swallowed a lot of pride IMO by making the running game a bigger part of his offensive plan. He could have just as easily been defiant and tried to prove his critics wrong by passing at all costs, but to his credit, he didn’t.

While there were really no critical decisions that tested Martz’ discipline, the fact that he was rock solid against the whiners when he had to be, says a lot. The real test will be next week and Mike Martz will be key.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Martz On The Mark

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    As a big time Martz basher, let me say that his performance against the whiners was just as important as what anyone did on the field. He was calm, composed, under control and clear thinking. Obviously he called a great game, and as far as I saw, made no unwise decisions.

Considering what enormous pressure he must have been under last week, the man rose to the challenge and got it done. He’s been willing to accept blame lately and swallowed a lot of pride IMO by making the running game a bigger part of his offensive plan. He could have just as easily been defiant and tried to prove his critics wrong by passing at all costs, but to his credit, he didn’t.

While there were really no critical decisions that tested Martz’ discipline, the fact that he was rock solid against the whiners when he had to be, says a lot. The real test will be next week and Mike Martz will be key.

Thanks for that, it means a lot.

There was a factor in his decision making, although I can't be really sure of how MUCH of a factor it was, BUT:

It was touched on for a brief moment during the game last night that Faulk was not happy with the number of touches he was getting before last night's game. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but if I have a guy that is one of the key offensive weapons in my arsenal, I wouldn't want him mad at me at all. Just a thought.

Again, very nice post!

afrightertoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    ... and as far as I saw, made no unwise decisions.
    It's been touched on elsewhere, but ... pass, run, pass starting at the half-yard line when the o-line was moving the stack could have been pivotal. Especially when he opted to pass on 1st down right after Jackson and the o-line showed big time grit getting it there. Getting only 3 when 7 was in the cards is still symptomatic of periodic brain freeze. Had SF's O mounted a scoring drive in response to the goal line stand, who knows if the momentum could ever have returned to the Rams' sideline. But, a win's a win's so there isn't much point in beating up the issue too bad ...

tanus is offline Registered User

well, on that drive where we only got a FG instead of a TD on the goal line jackson made a mistake by trying to bounce it outside. he should have scored on that play. i dont mind passing on first down when you are on the goal line. although the third down play should not have involved play action because it was almost certain they were gonna bring the heat.