Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Martz may not be the best, but he deserves better

In case you have not noticed, I'm not happy with the way Martz is being treated.

I accept the fact that the Rams might actully benefit next year from a new coaching staff, a new philosophy, and all that comes with it.

But, after the years he's put in, and the success he's brought, Mike Martz deserves better.

He deserves better than having innuendo and speculation about his future plastered everywhere while he sits at home with an I.V. in his arm.

He deserves better than to have the media and fans fawn over a lifetime assistant coach as if he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi just because he won a couple of games.

He deserves better than to have reporters expressing their "concern for him" with one side of their pen, and writing stories about his demise with the other.

If this is to be his last year with the Rams, so be it.

But this is no way for him to go.

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Re: Martz may not be the best, but he deserves better

Well said!!! As a football coach all I care about is what my players and fellow coaches think of how I am doing.:clanram:

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Most hard working Americans, that I know, say the same thing every week when they look at their paycheck and they are not even in show business making 3 million dollars per year.

Leics_Ram is offline Registered User

I agree the way Martz saga has been handled has been unhelpful and unnecessary.

If they feel its time for a coaching change so be it, but at least handle the situation with some decorum and give the guy the respect he deserves.

thoey is offline Registered User

Avenger, I agree 100%. It is sad. And as a fan, I wonder if we are going to be better or worse for it.

But, there are a lot of us that had these same type of feelings a couple years ago, and we were told that you cheer for the team, not indiviual players (or coaches).
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Most hard working Americans, that I know, say the same thing every week when they look at their paycheck and they are not even in show business making 3 million dollars per year.

I see that FERTER today stands for "For Every Ridiculous Tangent Ever Referenced."
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-02-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    Avenger, I agree 100%. It is sad. And as a fan, I wonder if we are going to be better or worse for it.

But, there are a lot of us that had these same type of feelings a couple years ago, and we were told that you cheer for the team, not indiviual players (or coaches).
    I still cheer for the team.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't have an ounce of sympathy for him. His situation is being handled EXACTLY the way he handled it when dealing with players.

How many times was it said that what's best for the team is all that matters?

He's still going to get his money and he'll have a new gig whenever he's ready to start coaching again. Maybe a little slice of humble pie will do him good.

It really is ironic how the soap opera has flip-flopped on him. Poetic justice to many.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

If the estrogen infused attorneys that run the front office want Martz out, fine. Fire him, buy out his contract, and allow him to find a job elsewhere (he will be hired elsewhere).

Failure to do so only makes the Rams head coaching position less attractive to potential candidates. Would you take a job where your predecessor had been treated so poorly? Not if you were highly recruited and had other options!

The media needs to understand this (guess they don’t teach management in “J” school) and emphasize this point. Instead they continue to bash Martz about irrelevant topics like “would Martz have run the ball against Jax?”

Martz is getting treated poorly in the media because reporters don’t want to alienate Rams management and risk retribution by being informally excluded from access to the team and information.

Rambos is offline Registered User

It all starts at the top and as long as Shaw is with the Rams well he is what he is a snake. Early this year he came out and said the FO needs to get behind our coach, what happened to that position. Comments like it cost too much to go to SB, yeah I guess ED cost too much so we let him go, yeah I’m still bitter, that we let one of the greatest back go over money. I guess Martz wants the best players he can get, so we don’t become the some old sorry @$$ Rams again. Shaw is a bean counter and he will always be nothing more.

There are two sides here I like Martz but, he is bringing some of this on himself. Is it helping this team right now when he goes on the radio and talks about his issues? Is it helping this team when he goes on TV? If so how?

I don’t want to change HC, but if Martz comes back something must change. He is the HC, not just a offensive coordinator, let Fairchild call the plays during the game, Martz can create plays, game plan but he gets to emotional and wound up during the game. Hire a new Defensive coordinator that is from a team that has actually played great defense, not a friend that really had no track record.

If we make a change, I say let Vitt have a shot, with Fairchild as OC and bring in a new DC. Let’s not get away from what we are built to do, lets just tone in down a little. I don’t want two or three years learning a new system that may or may not work

Martz does not deserve this, either did Warner but it is what it is, Shaw is not going anywhere soon, if Martz really wants to stay he needs to make some changes as did DV, right before we went to the show. He needs to take this time to think about what’s best for this team, not what’s best for his ego.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-02-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    His situation is being handled EXACTLY the way he handled it when dealing with players.
    I know what you are implying, and all I will say is that you are dead wrong. There has not been ANY player who was treated as Martz is being treated in a comparable situation.

I should have known certain people would view this as a soapbox from which to pummel an equine corpse.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I will be extremly dissapointed if martz does not return he is our coach and should stay our coach

RealRam is offline Registered User

You're not the only one who thinks Coach Martz 'deserves better', AV. :tut

Front Office. Back Office. Middle Office. Bah!

It is nothing new. Remember what happened to Coach Tom Landry in Dallas. Different HC, circumstances, and motives. But ultimately, the dagger in the back was the exact, same weapon.

To this day Landry's dismissal is considered a dire disgrace ... despite the fact that the Cowboys went on to better days.

I want to see Coach Martz back as HC of our Rams. :angryram:

As Rambos just mentioned, there must be some changes made in the coaching management -- discribed aptly (post #10). Totally agree!

But to rebuild the essence, the forte of the Rams machine with a different coach is NOT the solution for better days.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Welcome to ClanRam, LeicsRam! :1:

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I still cheer for the team.
    Sorry AR, I did not mean to imply that you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I know what you are implying, and all I will say is that you are dead wrong. There has not been ANY player who was treated as Martz is being treated in a comparable situation.

I should have known certain people would view this as a soapbox from which to pummel an equine corpse.
    Please tell me how this is any different.

Scenario #1 - Key player on the team, "You are our starter", injury, reduced effectiveness, replacement does better, belittled in the media while your replacement is raised to Godhood, released.

Scenario #2 - Genious coach, "You can be our coach as long as you like", reduced effectiveness, sickness, replacement does better, belittled in the media while your replacement is raised to Godhood, released.

I don't see much difference.
    This space for rent...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast