RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz on the Mike

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Tuesday, September 21, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “Obviously we are disappointed with the game yesterday. I think that they got us on our heels in all three phases. On the road, this team needs to learn to fight back. I think we did that and got the game back to 17-17, then we just did not make a play on the reverse and a couple of other things happened offensively, and we didn’t finish this thing the way you would like to see it. There are some lessons to be learned from this game. We have gone through a lot of things with our players today. There were a lot of mistakes in this game. More mistakes than we would’ve thought. We prepared well, and again, in that environment, we just didn’t see it on the field. We just need to put this one to bed, learn from it, and get ready for the Saints.”

(On responding to a loss)
    “We have been in so many of these games in the last five or six years, that our veterans, Isaac (Bruce), Torry, (Holt), and Marshall (Faulk), know how to respond. What’s happened, has happened. Now you just have to go back and make the corrections. We understand what we need to do this week to get it done, now the process begins.”

(On giving up a score after tying the game)
    “I felt we were in positions to make plays, and didn’t do it. We had some penalties. This was problematic throughout the game. Whether it’s a face mask penalty or a false start, you just can’t have those, particularly in critical times. And we made mistakes at critical times that you just can’t make. When the game is that close, and there is a play there to be made, you just have to make that play. When we needed to make a play, we couldn’t make it. You need to learn from that. There are a lot of things that need to straighten out.

(On playing on the road)
    “I think that a young team like this, particularly on defense, where we have a lot of young players, have not had that kind of adversity. When you get down like that, you cannot panic and you just have to stay focused, and know how to respond. You need to teach them how to respond. They need to learn that lesson. On the sideline, it was real good when we were on our way back to tying that game up. We just need to finish it at that point. And again, making plays that are critical in the game, that’s the most critical game of the year right there. At that point you need to step up and make those plays.”

(On stopping the run)
    “A lot of those two-back runs were at the end of the game were, obviously, a let down. Before that they were averaging about three yards a rush. Their two-back run against the defense was, below what you would want as a football team. Vick, that whole situation, really hurt us. They did a nice job of changing up what they do and getting (Vick) out to the perimeter and challenging us out there. We made a couple of changes at half-time, and we were able to get that sack.”

(On the Rams’ running game)
    “Initially, we just stammered around out there. We gave up too many sacks, obviously, but when you look at our first few possessions, just the penalties. You can’t start first-and-20, first-and-10 all of the time. We had not done that in the past three or four weeks, we’ve been pretty good with that. That’s a focus to get that done. All those things need to get cleaned up. Coming out of our own end zone, we had a penalty on the kickoff return, that’s unnecessary. Then we went into a little bit of a panic, offensively, and put ourselves in a whole. It’s more about us, I think. They are a good team. They made plays when they had to. Jim (Mora) did a good job with this football team, getting them ready to play. You have to give them their due. But by the same token, so many of our problems are created by ourselves. We can fix that, and we can do something with that. If we were a bad football team, it would be different.”

(On getting stopped on third-and-inches)
    “Had we not lost a yard or two on that play, we would’ve gone for it on fourth down. But it became fourth-and-two, or fourth-and-three, and at that point you need to tie it up. I was surprised (we got stopped). I thought we had a real good shot at it. The last third-and-inches we had, they covered all three down lineman, and put the two linebackers in, and I was aware of that, and that’s why we didn’t (do a quarterback sneaks). That situation they didn’t do it, but the time before they did.”

(On RB Steven Jackson’s penalty on the kickoff return)
    “I guess he just (flipped the ball at an Atlanta player) without thinking. He’s upset. You just have to have better controls of your emotions. You just do. We’ve obviously addressed that.”

(On if the kickoff return game can be improved)
    “I think so. We are addressing that. We are really close on a couple of those. We’ve got a lot of new guys back there. With Steven (Jackson) back there, he has not done it in a while, but we will get that going. I feel pretty good about that. I just feel like he is such a good open field runner, and he sees things so well, that we will get good field position out of it. But again, we can’t have a penalty on a good return and have an opportunity to start on the 25-or-30 yard line, then end up backed up. This is a discipline situation. This is one of the very few times in my career that we practiced well, and didn’t play well. A lot of that has to do with getting down early.”

(On challenging the on-side kick)
    “(The challenge) came from somewhere on the sideline. It came through my headset, “Challenge it, challenge it.” One of those things, that’s it, (On the other challege) I was watching Isaac coming out of our endzone. I felt like we were either going to get a (pass interference) or connect on it. That was a play that we practiced on Friday, just for that situation. They gave us exactly what we practiced and I felt good about it. So I was watching Isaac, and I looked up and there was a touchdown. I couldn’t figure out what happened. I was under the impression that it was a fumble that was picked up and scored. In the confusion, everyone was saying that (Bulger’s) arm was going forward.”

(On LB Tommy Polley)
    “He has a fractured rib. It’s not a bruise. So that’s pretty painful. As he mends, and gets better, he will continue to get more and more involved each week with the defense.”

(On the defense not creating turnovers)
    “It’s a concern. Like I said last night, when you have a guy like (Michael) Vick running around back there, it’s hard just to get to him to tackle, let alone take the ball from him. So that’s hard. I don’t think we had a lot of snaps and defense in the opener. That’ll come I think. We work on it. I think we are all disappointed we don’t have some. But you just keep working at it. I know we work on the strip drill all of the time, and the picks will come as people start to throw the ball down field a little

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Martz on the Mike

“(The challenge) came from somewhere on the sideline. It came through my headset, “Challenge it, challenge it.” One of those things, that’s it, (On the other challege) I was watching Isaac coming out of our endzone. I felt like we were either going to get a (pass interference) or connect on it. That was a play that we practiced on Friday, just for that situation. They gave us exactly what we practiced and I felt good about it. So I was watching Isaac, and I looked up and there was a touchdown. I couldn’t figure out what happened. I was under the impression that it was a fumble that was picked up and scored. In the confusion, everyone was saying that (Bulger’s) arm was going forward.”
    Good. Now, can everyone stop whining about this? It wasn't Martz's fault. It's not like he watches the game on TV.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Martz on the Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Good. Now, can everyone stop whining about this? It wasn't Martz's fault. It's not like he watches the game on TV.
    Was it really necessary to single out this Martzian quote? Now my brain hurts again.