Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

is Martz really that much in demand?

im reading a lot of posts off peeps who are saying they want Haslett because theres a rumour (that may or may not be true) that Martz would come onboard with him..the unemployed Mike Martz who once said he wasnt looking to be a OC again and only wanted to be a HC to then back down from that stance when he realised he wasnt held in the high regard as a HC that he held himself...

since then he`s had some success as a OC, statistically anyway..but ultimately both in Detroit and San Fran,he has been canned.

has anyone other than Haslett shown any interest in him as a OC??
    ive not seen reports that would suggest anyone else is interested in him,but willing to believe and accept if anyone can come up with even a snippit of a report on on some acne challenged delinquents internet blog.

ok so to my real question..what if we could get any of the other candidates with a defensive background..Ryan,Spags,Frazier..you take your pick..would you pick any of those three over Haslett if they could also bring in Martz?

Martz can say he`d only work under Haslett but he`s changed his stance many times before and he`s currently unemployed with no job offers..that dont sound like a man who should be making demands to me.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Re: is Martz really that much in demand?

He has been pretty much relegated to bouncing between dysfunctional organizations these days. St. Louis, Detroit, San Francisco, St. Louis.

There is zero interest in him as a Head Coach. There have been no reports of any team having interest in him as their OC, other than Haslett, that I'm aware of.

IMO, if he doesn't end up with the Rams again, he will likely end up as a college coach, which is where I think he belongs. He'd be a good fit in the college game these days that now emphasizes spread offenses and throwing the ball a lot.

i should perhaps have added that i neither want Martz or Haslett back..but seems like Haslett is getting some fans merely on the back of the fact that he may bring Martz in as OC.

is a question aimed at those that do want Haslett & Martz back really...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Mike Martz' high risk, "we don't care about turnovers" offensive system is not conducive to a team who is rebuilding and needs to be fundamentally sound. His success with the Rams made a lot of people think his schemes could be duplicated anywhere, and that's just foolish. The Rams caught lightning in a bottle- had a hall of fame back, two hall of fame receivers, a QB that fell from the sky and turned out to be very good and a solid defense. The system fit their skill sets and ability. Everything went right that season after the Trent Green injury. Try to duplicate that system with John Kitna or Alex Smith and you find the going quite a bit tougher.

On top of that, Martz, by numerous accounts is headstrong and not the easiest guy to work for or coach with, hence his dismissal from two teams in a very short period of time. The worst thing the Rams could do, in my opinion, would be to try and recapture past magic with the same guy. It won't happen.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Well with Josh McDaniel going to the Broncos the Patriots will be looking for an OC.

oh i give up...maybe my english aint so good after all or something.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

I reluctantly agree... As much as I loved the Martz era, it was more that just a big fat playbook.

It was mostly all about the personnel that were available around that time.
    I mean Joe Gibbs came back to the skins and they all thought it was the second coming.....

Well as it turned out it wasn't, because the likes of Darrell Green, John Riggins, Joe Theisman, Art Monk, Russ Grimm, yadda yadda yadda.. Were now drawing pensioners cheques..

It for me remains what it is; A rose tinted fantasy for a pig iron problem..

Go Rams..