Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Martz says he won`t scale back Rams' offense for Chandler's start

Martz says he won`t scale back Rams' offense for Chandler's start
    BY STEVE KORTE
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. LOUIS - (KRT) - After 17 seasons in the NFL, quarterback Chris Chandler can fully appreciate the opportunity at hand.

Chandler will be the starting quarterback for the St. Louis Rams against the Carolina Panthers at 3:15 p.m. CST on Sunday at Bank of America Stadium.

Chandler is starting in place of Marc Bulger, who could be sidelined from 1 to 3 games because of a bruised throwing shoulder.

"I`m not going to play another 10 years," Chandler said. "When you`re younger, it seems like your future is infinite. As you get a little older, every opportunity you get you should really cherish, respect, and go out there and enjoy the heck out of them."

At 39, Chandler became the elder statesmen on the Rams` roster after punter Sean Landeta was released two weeks ago.

Chandler said he hears plenty of jokes about his age.

"You name it, I get all kinds of things," Chandler said. "We saw Steve Bono walking off the field Sunday, and Marshall (Faulk) kept asking me if I came in the league before Steve Bono did."

Bono, who serves as the alumni coordinator for the San Francisco *****, entered the NFL in 1985. Chandler arrived three years later in 1998 as a third-round draft pick of the Indianapolis Colts.

"We used to give it to Landeta because he was like 95 (years old) or something," Rams center Andy McCollum said. "I just like for them to give it to somebody other than me because I`m the oldest in our (offensive line) room. I`m the one who gets it."

Carolina cornerback Ricky Manning, 24 years old and playing in his second season in the NFL, even took a little shot at Chandler`s age this week.

"You know, I couldn`t even tell you. I don`t remember," Manning said when asked if he`d ever seen Chandler play. "I probably just played with him on Tecmo Bowl or something, one of those video games. And, if y`all don`t know Tecmo Bowl, it was one of the first Nintendo games."

Chandler said the age jokes don`t bother him anymore.

"Actually, nowadays, I laugh at it," Chandler said. "A few years ago, it would kind of bother me. But being as old as I am, and being in the league as long as I have been, and playing at the level I'm playing at, I kind of hang my hat on that now."

Rams coach Mike Martz wasn`t so amused with an Internet columnist who mocked Chandler because of his age.

"He`s not 500 years old," Martz said. "It doesn`t matter how old he is, he can play. He has terrific legs. Can any of you guys go at nine on the treadmill for 35 minutes? Maybe you can, but I know I can`t. That and the fact that his arm strength hasn`t been diminished at all, and he is still on the top of his game as far as seeing things and the accuracy, would lend itself to believing that he has a lot of football left in him. Otherwise we`d never sign him to a three-year deal."

The Rams` timing-based passing offense is difficult to learn, and that`s why Martz prefers his backup quarterback to be a veteran.

Chandler was selected to two Pro Bowls (1998 and 1999), and he was the starter for the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII against the Denver Broncos. He`s 30 passes shy of having thrown 4,000 for his career.

Martz said he wouldn`t be scaling down the offense with Chandler at quarterback instead of Bulger.

"The blitz stuff , the hot protections_he understands well enough to where it doesn`t eliminate anything from our packages," Martz said. ``There`s nothing in our package right now in our passing game that we wouldn`t carry (because of Chandler). In fact, it's a real heavy game plan this week."

Chandler also will be benefit from getting all the snaps with the first-string offense in practice this week.

"It should help a ton," Chandler said. "Mental reps are great, but mental reps plus the physical part is that much better."

Rams wide receiver Torry Holt said Chandler still throws a nice deep pass.

"We all feel good about Chandler," Holt said. "We all have a great connection with him. I think we built on this week with a great week of practice. He`s throwing the ball extremely well. I`m very impressed with the way he throws the long ball. I knew that in training camp and the preseason."

Chandler said he`d like to keep playing until his contract with the Rams runs out after the 2006 season.

"I signed a three-year deal when I came here and I always thought it would be nice to end it here, knowing Mike for as long as I have," Chandler said, "There`s corny things like me and my wife met here in St. Louis. Ending it here, that`s kind of what I have in mind."

But, for now, retirement will have to wait.

"I`m playing to have fun for myself," Chandler said. "But mainly, I`m playing for all the other guys in this locker room. They`re counting on me, and the only thing I want to do is stand up for those guys."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Kane Guest

Re: Martz says he won`t scale back Rams' offense for Chandler's start

I'm pleased to hear it. Being fortunate enough to be at the Dome last Sunday, I thought that Chris came in and did a god job, especially considering his lack of recent snaps.

Even more impressive was the debut of Stephen Jackson at running back.

A better defensive display too, with Antuan Edwards looking comfortable at Free Safety.

It will be interesting to see how they all get on against a Carolina Panthers team that's been playing well of late.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kane
    I thought that Chris came in and did a god job, especially considering his lack of recent snaps.
    Agreed...especially considering he hasn't played since preseason, which you pointed out.

I look for Chandler to step it up a notch against the Panthers, after having a full week working with the starters.

I have a feeling Rams' fans are going to be pleasantly surprised...assuming the o-line does it's job.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Kane
    I thought that Chris came in and did a god job, especially considering his lack of recent snaps.
    I'm not sure I agree that a two turnover performance, which was nearly four without the head's up play of Bruce and Jackson, while scoring only one TD constitutes a good job, but Chandler looked better as the game progressed, and I think working off the rust in practice this week will do Chandler a lot of good. He really seemed to have a lot of it in this game, IMO.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-12-2004 at 02:27 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I have a feeling Rams' fans are going to be pleasantly surprised...assuming the o-line does it's job.
    Ahhhhhhh.....never mind!

AugustaRamFan Guest

Ya! Why scale back your offense to match your personnel? Why adjust the passing game when you do not have a O-line?

Because...

I'm a stinking genius....

Quote Originally Posted by Martz
    Martz said he wouldn`t be scaling down the offense with Chandler at quarterback
    No, wait...on second thought........