RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz says he's not interested in Dolphins' coaching job

CHEW ON THIS ALL YOU MARTZ BASHERS OUT THERE!!!
    You all better get used to the big guy...cause he is staying....WAAAHOOO!!!!!!

By JIM THOMAS

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Rams coach Mike Martz and team president John Shaw shot down a Miami Herald story about Martz's potential candidacy for the Dolphins' head-coaching job.

Citing sources close to three head coaches, the Herald reported Monday that Martz, Seattle's Mike Holmgren and Denver's Mike Shanahan would be interested in coaching the Dolphins next season if their current coaching situations did not work out.

On Tuesday, Martz denied that was the case. "I have no interest in coaching anyplace else," he said. "This is our home."

When asked Tuesday if there was any chance Martz would be available at the end of this season, Shaw replied: "Zero."

When asked if he has had any contact with Miami officials about the possibility of Martz being available, Shaw replied: "Zero."

At times outspoken and controversial, Martz has been a lightning rod for criticism and praise throughout his 4 1/2-year tenure as Rams head coach. With the Rams in the midst of an up-and-down 5-4 season, there has been frequent speculation by NFL observers and journalists about his job security in St. Louis.

"I'm perplexed that there would be any speculation about his status," Shaw said. "He's averaged 10 wins a season as a head coach. How many victories did we average here (in St. Louis) before 1999? Five?"

The Rams went 22-42 in their first four seasons in St. Louis (1995-98), an average of 5.5 victories a year.

"If people think it's easy to win 10 games a year in the NFL, then they don't understand the league," Shaw said. "I think Mike's doing really well. I feel that he has the team in position to compete for a playoff spot and win the division."

Following this season, Martz has two years left on his contract, at $3.5 million a year in 2005 and `06.

Dave Wannstedt resigned as Dolphins coach last week, and defensive coordinator Jim Bates was named interim head coach.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Martz says he's not interested in Dolphins' coaching job

On Tuesday, Martz denied that was the case. "I have no interest in coaching anyplace else," he said. "This is our home."

When asked Tuesday if there was any chance Martz would be available at the end of this season, Shaw replied: "Zero."

When asked if he has had any contact with Miami officials about the possibility of Martz being available, Shaw replied: "Zero."
    Best news I've heard out of Rams Park since......well, since there became a Rams Park in STL.

ebenezer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Best news I've heard out of Rams Park since......well, since there became a Rams Park in STL.
    who the hell would want the 'Fins job...another salary cap crunch next year...aging defensive players...and OL that looks like a HS team...no running threats...2 marginal QBs...

that team could suck for the next 5 years...
    www.BillsZone.com

afrightertoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw
    "He's averaged 10 wins a season as a head coach. How many victories did we average here (in St. Louis) before 1999? Five?"
    Well, when he puts it in terms of MM being the best he could manage all during this time, I'm in. Clearly, Shaw has been known to do worse. Without MM, Shaw could reprise his inabilities again, and clearly it could be worse.

RealRam is online now Registered User

We have a fine (mad, but fine) HC!

It is absurd and rediculous how some of these rumors are stirred up! :smile:

I'm glad MM made it clear he isn't going anywhere else. Rams players like him. The St. Louis Rams organization needs him. Who else would we want to "experiment" with.

No, no, no. Stop that nonsense. We have a fine ('Mad', but fine) HC!

Let's focus on getting this job done here and now. We've got much to do. Gotta go to work.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ebenezer
    who the hell would want the 'Fins job...another salary cap crunch next year...aging defensive players...and OL that looks like a HS team...no running threats...2 marginal QBs...

that team could suck for the next 5 years...
    Agreed, it's going to take a lot of work to get that franchise back in contention in an AFC East that's very tough. Their defense is a strength, but offensively, they only have one player that scares me right now, and that's their tight end. Whoever accepts that head coaching job should be clear with the front office that it's not going to be an immediate success.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

I wonder if bill arnsbarger will interview for the job.

general counsel