RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz says Rams' knees were targets

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Sunday, Nov. 21 2004

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - The Rams lost two cornerbacks to knee injuries Sunday in
    Travis Fisher and DeJuan Groce. They almost lost wide receiver Torry Holt to a
    knee injury.

And coach Mike Martz wasn't happy about it, accusing the Buffalo Bills of
    cheap-shot tactics. Namely, intentionally trying to cut-block the Rams.

"Absolutely, they're doing it intentionally," Martz said. "They're trying to
    blow somebody's knee out. There's no question about it. And it worked. They got
    two of our corners. I asked the officials to protect our players, and they were
    fairly indignant about it.

"But we've got two corners sitting on the bench because of that. ... That stuff
    comes around eventually."

Groce left with what was announced as a sprained left knee with 2 minutes 55
    seconds to go in the first half, suffering the injury on an interception return
    by Fisher.

"He got cut, which you cannot block below the waist," Martz said. "They were
    probably looking for him."

Fisher left with 1:19 to play in the first quarter, suffering his injury on an
    end-around by Buffalo wide receiver Eric Moulds. Martz claimed Fisher was
    injured on a late hit.

"The play was over," Martz said. "He's standing on the sideline. I watched (the
    replay) on the Jumbotron, and he just got drilled, right in the side of the
    knee."

Neither Fisher nor Groce returned. The Rams also lost cornerback Kevin Garrett
    early in the second half with a concussion. That meant Aeneas Williams had to
    play cornerback in the base defense - the Rams had no other options.

Early in the third quarter, Holt limped off the field after taking a blow to
    the knee by Buffalo cornerback Nate Clements on a running play to Marshall
    Faulk. Holt returned one play later.

"He went right for my knee," Holt said. "I was totally surprised by his effort
    there in trying to go at my knee. ... That's the first time I've ever
    experienced that. I thought it was totally inappropriate. To me that wasn't
    clean football."

Martz had words with Buffalo defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, a one-time Los
    Angeles Rams defensive back, after the game.

Martz said Groce's injury appears to be the most serious. Martz also said he
    thought Fisher and Garrett could be available for the Rams' next game, a Monday
    nighter on Nov. 29 in Green Bay.

London calling

According to unofficial pressbox stats, Buffalo linebacker London Fletcher
    finished with seven tackles against his former team, giving him 100-plus
    tackles for the sixth consecutive season. The Rams played in Orchard Park in a
    preseason game last year, but Sunday marked Fletcher's first regular-season
    contest against St. Louis since signing with the Bills as a free agent in 2002.

"It was good to see some of my old buddies, my old teammates," said Fletcher, a
    three-year starter in St. Louis. "I had a couple little conversations with them
    out there. I really enjoyed my time in St. Louis. ... It was a tough game from
    an emotional standpoint. It was kind of like bittersweet."

Fooled on flea flicker

Buffalo's biggest play from scrimmage came on a trick play, a flea flicker in
    which running back Willis McGahee took a handoff from quarterback Drew Bledsoe
    and pitched it back to Bledsoe, who then completed a 54-yard pass to wide
    receiver Sam Aiken. The play allowed Buffalo to kick the score-tying field goal
    right before halftime.

"That was 100 percent my fault," said Rams safety Rich Coady, who got pulled in
    by the apparent McGahee run. "It's third and 19; I've got to be smarter than
    that."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Martz says Rams' knees were targets

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    "That was 100 percent my fault," said Rams safety Rich Coady
    Think of how many times we probably could have heard this this season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

"That was 100 percent my fault," said Rams safety Rich Coady
    This really should be someone's signature line.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ebenezer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Early in the third quarter, Holt limped off the field after taking a blow to
    the knee by Buffalo cornerback Nate Clements on a running play to Marshall
    Faulk. Holt returned one play later.

clean football."

If this happened, I don't know. They did not show it at the stadium...but, he has NEVER "experienced that"? What league does he play in?? The Pats do it all the time. The 'Fins are horrendously good at it. Eric Moulds has complained about it for years as have many others. I think he needs to look at his own play. He was invisable for most of the game...
    www.BillsZone.com

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    If this happened, I don't know. They did not show it at the stadium
    Well, they replayed it on TV and it was absolutely disgusting. The play was a run to Faulk which imploded at the line of scrimmage. Holt was barely going through the motions and Clements dives at his knees. Explain to me any possible reason a DB would ever have for diving and planting a shoulder into the knee of a WR.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

GSOT is offline Registered User

You dont understand do you IT HAPPEND AFTER THE BALL WAS THROWN and why would the player block like that if he cant get back up and cover him. Sounds fishy and needs a fine.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Sunday, Nov. 21 2004

clean football."
    Quote Originally Posted by He'sBeenEasier
    If this happened, I don't know. They did not show it at the stadium.
    Like to lead a sheltered life up north, huh? I bet if it were a questionable referee call, that image would have been shown pretty vigorously on the screen then. Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by UbeBison
    The play was a run to Faulk which imploded at the line of scrimmage. Holt was barely going through the motions (unfortunately, true) and Clements dives at his knees (even though the play was not coming towards Clements and he could not claim that he was trying to take down the front line of blocking so that the ball carrier would trip over the pile).
    Quote Originally Posted by YouBeBison
    Explain to me any possible reason a DB would ever have for diving and planting a shoulder into the knee of a WR.
    So in light of the circumstances at that moment, it probably is as eM & eM said: "They were probably looking for him."

And that begs the question, why. Clearly, testosterone levels are at high levels right now. The country is on a war footing. Award programs are dissin' da playas. Ain't some not b' reprasentin' right now. And some punk-asss b-ball playa tryin' to come down in da 'hood wearing their colors? Pink at that?

Just trying to come up with a reason for you.

It wasn't clean, as Holt said. Clements better have a “good” reason like "Torry, crack-backed me back in my junior season in college.” Other than that, since I doubt the league will do anything about the incident, it will be up to the code MM alluded to when he said: “it goes around.”

Now EbeenEasier may be right that Holt’s statement should not have reflected such incredulity, but I suspect that Holt was referring to personal experience. Holt probably hadn’t experienced such disciplinary action himself personally. Until Sunday. So the question is still why? Surely an edict didn’t come down that said “Thou Shalt not Wear Pink?” And if it did? To have such an extension network to enforce the edict throughout the league would be pretty impressive.

Somebody is going to have to have a talk with Clements shortly. And I mean “a talk.” Because it didn’t look very clean.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The hit on Holt was cheap and dirty and I am going go back and try to watch the injuries on Fisher and Groce. I am betting there are more cheap shots coming from the Bills. I hate to see professional sports turning into a mosh pit of unsportsmanlike acts.

UtterBlitz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Man, these last couple days have been pretty violent. Guys going for the knees of players, NBA brawl, college football brawl on the field... things are getting out of control!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ebenezer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    The hit on Holt was cheap and dirty and I am going go back and try to watch the injuries on Fisher and Groce. I am betting there are more cheap shots coming from the Bills. I hate to see professional sports turning into a mosh pit of unsportsmanlike acts.

UtterBlitz
    call me when the league hands out a fine...
    www.BillsZone.com