RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz should do his health a favor and resign now

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/10/2005

Mike Martz was hooked to an IV for a while when he appeared at Rams Park on Monday. The Rams head coach was about to head back into the hospital for another stay, still reeling from an allergic reaction to the first treatment of antibiotics.

Even now, as doctors try to find the solution to a severe bacterial infection that affects Martz's heart valve, Martz informed team president John Shaw that he aimed to be back on the job in two weeks.

Here's another suggestion for Martz, and I offer this out of sincere concern for a guy I am fond of as a person:

Please walk away, Mike.

There's no use in continuing in a job that has become stressful, brutal, thankless, and dangerous to your physical health and peace of mind.

It's time for Martz to resign as the Rams head coach.

And this has nothing to do with Martz's record or coaching. This has everything to do with Martz's need to get well, rejuvenate, replenish. He has to make a break and start fresh next season - but in a different capacity, and probably a different town.

Why?

Let's review:

* If this job doesn't kill Martz, it probably will jeopardize his health. Martz is completely stressed out. He's insecure and paranoid. He frets over football, front-office politics, his reputation, his real and perceived enemies. Day by day, the pressure is consuming Martz. And while stress didn't cause this illness, stress can impede Martz's recovery.

* The atmosphere is poisonous in St. Louis. The loudest fans despise Martz, and their criticism is hateful and personal. All coaches catch heat from fans, sure. But in my quarter century of covering professional sports, I have never seen a head coach or manager subjected to such vicious and vitriolic personal attacks as Martz is in St. Louis.

Martz's approval rating isn't going to rise anytime soon. The Rams are a mess. And as they continue to slide, this cruel abuse of the head coach will only intensify. And despite what Martz says publicly, this venom wounds him inside. A man trying to recuperate from a serious illness should remove himself from the nonstop barrage.

* Until Shaw recently intervened and ordered the other team's executives to back off, Martz was being ganged up on by people who are being paid to help the coach be successful. Martz never will be able to marshal the kind of unanimous and passionate support he'll need to turn this team around. The dissension will continue in one form or another. The dysfunction can only be detrimental to Martz.

* Before the season, Shaw declined Martz's request for a contract extension. Shaw wanted to wait and see how this season went. Well, this season is unraveling. And I have little doubt that Martz is headed for a postseason ultimatum from Shaw. The issue: defensive coordinator Larry Marmie, Martz's friend. Unless the defense improves dramatically, Rams management will probably insist that Martz fire Marmie, and Martz won't be willing to do that.

* And suppose Shaw decides it's time to bust up this nucleus and start from scratch in a painful reconstruction process? Is Martz willing or able to do that?

But let's return to the main concern. Because more than anything, this should be about a caring father and husband doing everything possible to restore his health.

Martz -- until now, anyway -- hasn't been a model patient. He had complicated back surgery after last season and resumed his full work routine against the doctors' advice.

Like many NFL coaches, Martz can't help himself. He won't ease away from the daily grind. He won't stop putting in the crazy hours that have caused other NFL coaches - remember Dick Vermeil in Philadelphia? - to crack.

What Martz needs is a long, relaxing, therapeutic rest at an oceanfront property, or at a lakeside cabin, or while riding horseback in some wide-open spaces. That's the remedy, in part.

What Martz doesn't need is to inflict more internal damage and sap more of his strength by agonizing over football games in a town where he's treated so shabbily.

There will be OTHER teams to coach in the future, when Martz is refreshed and reloaded.

But this particular team and situation can only be hazardous to Martz's health.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Martz should do his health a favor and resign now

I think Bernie is right. Martz should resign. I'd sincerely hate it, but he should. He won't get a fair shake in STL. Shaw is going to blow this team up and we are in a rebuilding mode starting right now I guarantee it.

maineram is offline Registered User

I'm going to pull an AV in his absense and say Bernie is just feeding on the carcass. Jeesh, it's not even 24 hours since the announcement and he's burying the guy.
    He's got an infection, not recovering from a head on car crash.
    Regardless of the upper office situation, Martz is still the coach and Shaw is behind him, period.
    Let's call off the buzzards please, he's not dead yet, give the guy some credit here. He's a fighter, and will live to coach these Rams again, stronger than ever.

Maineram - :clanram:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

I have been quite on this subject for the last week since this broke.
    This might piss a lot of members off and I am not going to reply to any responses to this but here goes.

I think a very loud and quite frankly spoilt minority of fans have driven this man into the ground and I for one am utterly disgusted with the way they have acted. There have been times I have read what crap they have spouted and I can say this with a very heavy heart, even thought about jacking it all in. This is no way to treat a human being and these people have been criminal in their blind pursuit of what can only be said as a lynch mob mentality. No names are being mentioned but you all know who you are.

It’s a bloody game.

A game that I love and let yes, I do let dominate a great deal of my and my family’s life. BUT I would never crucify someone the way these "fans" have done.

Now as to this article.

I agree with Bernie the Dolt 100 percent on this. Mike Martz does not deserve “fans” like these.

:sad:

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Now is not the time to undercut him.
    Last edited by AugustaRamFan; -10-11-2005 at 09:23 AM.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

I have been a Martz critic, but now is not the time to undercut him. I do not know to what extent his health has impacted game decisions so far this season, but it is clear, that when Mike is at his best, the Rams can be hard to beat. If his judgement has been clouded, by his personal health, he owes it to the Franchise to step back for awhile (as he has done) and get healthy. Once he is healthy and back in the saddle, we can continue the "mad Mike" debate.

RealRam is offline Registered User

'Do his health a favor' ... yes. 'Resign now' ... no. :tut

That is not the solution.

Rambos is offline Registered User

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/10/2005

Mike Martz was hooked to an IV for a while when he appeared at Rams Park on Monday. The Rams head coach was about to head back into the hospital for another stay, still reeling from an allergic reaction to the first treatment of antibiotics.

Even now, as doctors try to find the solution to a severe bacterial infection that affects Martz's heart valve, Martz informed team president John Shaw that he aimed to be back on the job in two weeks.

Here's another suggestion for Martz, and I offer this out of sincere concern for a guy I am fond of as a person:

Please walk away, Mike.

There's no use in continuing in a job that has become stressful, brutal, thankless, and dangerous to your physical health and peace of mind.

It's time for Martz to resign as the Rams head coach.

And this has nothing to do with Martz's record or coaching. This has everything to do with Martz's need to get well, rejuvenate, replenish. He has to make a break and start fresh next season - but in a different capacity, and probably a different town.

Why?

Let's review:

* If this job doesn't kill Martz, it probably will jeopardize his health. Martz is completely stressed out. He's insecure and paranoid. He frets over football, front-office politics, his reputation, his real and perceived enemies. Day by day, the pressure is consuming Martz. And while stress didn't cause this illness, stress can impede Martz's recovery.

* The atmosphere is poisonous in St. Louis. The loudest fans despise Martz, and their criticism is hateful and personal. All coaches catch heat from fans, sure. But in my quarter century of covering professional sports, I have never seen a head coach or manager subjected to such vicious and vitriolic personal attacks as Martz is in St. Louis.

Martz's approval rating isn't going to rise anytime soon. The Rams are a mess. And as they continue to slide, this cruel abuse of the head coach will only intensify. And despite what Martz says publicly, this venom wounds him inside. A man trying to recuperate from a serious illness should remove himself from the nonstop barrage.

* Until Shaw recently intervened and ordered the other team's executives to back off, Martz was being ganged up on by people who are being paid to help the coach be successful. Martz never will be able to marshal the kind of unanimous and passionate support he'll need to turn this team around. The dissension will continue in one form or another. The dysfunction can only be detrimental to Martz.

* Before the season, Shaw declined Martz's request for a contract extension. Shaw wanted to wait and see how this season went. Well, this season is unraveling. And I have little doubt that Martz is headed for a postseason ultimatum from Shaw. The issue: defensive coordinator Larry Marmie, Martz's friend. Unless the defense improves dramatically, Rams management will probably insist that Martz fire Marmie, and Martz won't be willing to do that.

* And suppose Shaw decides it's time to bust up this nucleus and start from scratch in a painful reconstruction process? Is Martz willing or able to do that?

But let's return to the main concern. Because more than anything, this should be about a caring father and husband doing everything possible to restore his health.

Martz -- until now, anyway -- hasn't been a model patient. He had complicated back surgery after last season and resumed his full work routine against the doctors' advice.

Like many NFL coaches, Martz can't help himself. He won't ease away from the daily grind. He won't stop putting in the crazy hours that have caused other NFL coaches - remember Dick Vermeil in Philadelphia? - to crack.

What Martz needs is a long, relaxing, therapeutic rest at an oceanfront property, or at a lakeside cabin, or while riding horseback in some wide-open spaces. That's the remedy, in part.

What Martz doesn't need is to inflict more internal damage and sap more of his strength by agonizing over football games in a town where he's treated so shabbily.

There will be OTHER teams to coach in the future, when Martz is refreshed and reloaded.

But this particular team and situation can only be hazardous to Martz's health.
    disagree 100% this is Martz team, take as much time as you need Mike if you don't come back until next year thats fine by me, we will be ready when you are! God bless coach.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

resign - to give oneself over without resistance, quit.

Not Mike Martz characteristics.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

i also have been a critic of Mike martz but,really not to the point to wish him ill faith! Just as some think he is a great coach! I don not, however i do think that he may be the best OC that the game has ever seen! Just because i do not think he is a good HC does not mean ido not like this man! I do just think he needs to quit keeping his buddies as well as players around when for 1 and im only going to talk for my self here! I disagree with a lot of ways MM has coached this team! As a 40+ year Ram fan i'm sorry if any one thinks i'm wrong but,i have the right to voice my thoughts! After all i have been supporting this team way before MM was ever a HC here......................Now as far as MM is concerned i have prayed that he would change some of his ways on coaching! Getting rid of him i really do not want to see ever happen! Would love to see him coach a little different is all!..................MM i apologize for the mean things that i have said about you! I am just venting and displaying my thoughts as a fan! .........Do Not Resign Unless its your decision! Never quit! It's what you have been preaching right?.............This is not meant by no means to be offensive to MM or his family in any form!.........MM, I wish you a speedy recovery!