RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz's comments get his players' attention

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/30/2005

Perhaps close friend and trusted confidant Joe Vitt can appreciate better than anyone Mike Martz's eagerness to return as soon as possible as head coach of the Rams.

"I think this is the best he's felt, really, since his (back) surgery" earlier this year, Vitt said. "And when you feel good at this time of the year, it's really strange for a coach. Usually when you get to December, you start to get drained, you start to get tired, you start to get achy. When you feel good, you're really itching to get back."

Vitt has served as interim head coach since mid-October, when Martz announced that he would miss the rest of the season while undergoing treatment for a bacterial infection of a heart valve. But in an interview Tuesday with the Post-Dispatch, Martz hinted at a possible return before the season is over.

"I feel good. ... I'm dying to come back," Martz said. That move would require the approval of his doctor, which, Martz acknowledged, isn't likely to be granted. Still, the prospect of an earlier-than-expected Martz return was the buzz in the locker room Wednesday at the Rams Park:

"It's just like a player who got hurt and came back into the fold. We'll welcome him with open arms." - Wide receiver Isaac Bruce.

"If he wants to come back, that's his prerogative. He's the head coach. The guy drafted me; why wouldn't I want him back? I have no problem with that at all." - Rookie cornerback Ron Bartell.

"He's our head coach and ... we're behind him 100 percent, whatever he wants to do." - Rookie quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Asked whether another head-coaching change might be a disruption, wideout Kevin Curtis said: "That's hard to say. ... With constant change like that, there's definitely a possibility of distraction. But Coach Martz has kind of built and formed this team. I think it would only help us."

The common theme, though, was that Martz take care of his health first before even considering a return to the sideline.

"If he feels well enough and everything is clear with the doctors ... he's our head coach, and we'd love to have him back," linebacker Trev Faulk said. "But the most important thing is that he's healthy."

Saipaia can't sit still

Like Martz, offensive lineman Blaine Saipaia is chafing while on the injury list. He was knocked out Nov. 20 vs. Arizona, and he's still suffering symptoms from the concussion.

"I've never felt this way this long. It's pretty weird. It's frustrating," Saipaia said. "I still get the headaches every now and again. They come and go. They're not as frequent. Daily, the intensity is subsiding."

Adding to his discomfort, Saipaia conceded, is the dwindling corps of offensive linemen because of injuries. "It's tough to sit there and watch when you know guys are hurting and trying to battle through it."

Injury update

Cornerback DeJuan Groce and strong safety Adam Archuleta practiced Wednesday. Each suffered a concussion when they collided while defending a pass against the Cardinals and sat out Sunday, depleting the Rams' secondary.

Archuleta was listed Wednesday as questionable and Groce probable on the week's first injury report. Cornerback Travis Fisher (groin), quarterback Jamie Martin (concussion) and Saipaia also were questionable.

Tackle Alex Barron, who was scheduled for hand surgery after being injured in the fourth quarter at Houston, was doubtful. The other starting tackle, Orlando Pace (hamstring, hip), was probable.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Martz's comments get his players' attention

Very interesting -- and understandable -- comments from Rams players on Coach Martz! :up:

Thanks for the post, Wraith.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Thumbs up Re: Martz's comments get his players' attention

Martz commenting on wanting to come back this year before he knows for sure that he can did not help this team it only shifted the focus from their last game which was a good come back and something the team can maybe build a little momentum off of to all of them discussing Martz possible return and all the other questions surrounding Martz. Bad move by Martz if he still cares for this team and what they do this year. If he cared what the team does he would shut up about his return until he was cleared to come back. His announcement only adds to the non-football crap the players have to put up with.
    :down:

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

totally agree. we don't need any more non-football related distractions. also looks like arch and groce are going to play, which is good considering what the secondary went through last week.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Does my heart good to hear that the players are behind him so strongly.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

toddlyght is offline Registered User
    as soon as martz gets back the better. it will give us a better idea if he stays or goes next year.

:clanram:
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlyght
    as soon as martz gets back the better. it will give us a better idea if he stays or goes next year.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-03-2005 at 03:19 AM.

Mr.Blond Guest
    To you people who gave a big thumbs down to Martz, WTF is your problem? Hearing Martz is getting better is great news. I felt amazing until I read your expletive posts. Martz coming back has no effect on the great comeback win. .i.

The players are all happy, and you're upset? Didn't Martz call some plays in the comeback win? Explain to me, would you rather have Coach Vitt say, "Personally, This is my team now, and he's gonna have to fight me for it." ?? Well, he wouldn't say that, cuz theyre friends. You ruined my good feeling.

Quote by STLousiRamsfan: Martz commenting on wanting to come back this year before he knows for sure that he can did not help this team it only shifted the focus from their last game which was a good come back and something the team can maybe build a little momentum off of to all of them discussing Martz possible return and all the other questions surrounding Martz. Bad move by Martz if he still cares for this team and what they do this year. If he cared what the team does he would shut up about his return until he was cleared to come back. His announcement only adds to the non-football crap the players have to put up with.

I'd like to say, I totally disagree with this rant. Don't tell him to shut up, you a hater.:clanram:
    Last edited by Nick; -12-03-2005 at 03:19 AM.

curley4me is offline Registered User

i can imagine all the new wild offensive schemes mikey has drawn up while he was away. get well and bring it on the sooner the better.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Blond
    To you people who gave a big thumbs down to Martz, WTF is your problem? Hearing Martz is getting better is great news. I felt amazing until I read your expletive posts. Martz coming back has no effect on the great comeback win. .i.

The players are all happy, and you're upset? Didn't Martz call some plays in the comeback win? Explain to me, would you rather have Coach Vitt say, "Personally, This is my team now, and he's gonna have to fight me for it." ?? Well, he wouldn't say that, cuz theyre friends. You ruined my good feeling.

Quote by STLousiRamsfan: Martz commenting on wanting to come back this year before he knows for sure that he can did not help this team it only shifted the focus from their last game which was a good come back and something the team can maybe build a little momentum off of to all of them discussing Martz possible return and all the other questions surrounding Martz. Bad move by Martz if he still cares for this team and what they do this year. If he cared what the team does he would shut up about his return until he was cleared to come back. His announcement only adds to the non-football crap the players have to put up with.
    I'd like to say, I totally disagree with this rant. Don't tell him to shut up, you a hater.:clanram:
    How dumb are you I agree with most people here I am glad Martz is getting healthy and if the players are truly supporting his return that is great that they stick by their HC. If he is able to come back then I would be very supportive of that and him. Here is the point until he is healthy and able to come back he don’t need to stir up the circus again and have all these players answering questions about their coaches possible comeback, the feud with the FO, and if they support him or not. Martz is helping add to the circus atmosphere not reduce the circus atmosphere by announcing things that only benefit him and cause the players more of a media circus.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -12-03-2005 at 01:13 PM.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

I think it would have been more interesting if the headline had read: "Players admit to ignoring Martz' comments"