Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Matt Turk And Punt Coverage

I must admit that I had concerns about Matt Turk's abilities and durability when he was signed. With punts of 50, 50, 59 and 57 yards last night, he's answering the ability questions. If he can stay healthy, our punter woes look like a thing of the past.

Punt coverage is still a big work in progress though. Although some may disagree, on two of the Turk punts, he outkicked the coverage resulting in returns of 32 and 33 yards. Not good, but something that I would think can be adjusted for by having Turk go for more hang time and being more selective with his punt placement and direction. Getting Turk and the coverage guys all on the same page with timing and strategy should be a priority.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Matt Turk And Punt Coverage

I agree, Turk definitely kicked some ass last night (Pardon my French). Anyways, he seemed to do good, so I guess it was good signing him after all.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

I think we all were a bit skeptic when we signed him . So far, however, he has shown that he is a lock for that position.
    As always.....

GO RAMS!!!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I must admit that I had concerns about Matt Turk's abilities and durability when he was signed. With punts of 50, 50, 59 and 57 yards last night, he's answering the ability questions. If he can stay healthy, our punter woes look like a thing of the past.
    You know mike, if the offense can put it in the end zone consistently then we won't have to worry about Turks health. I think he has great accuracy and range which will help our poor coverage teams.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

...or we might try putting some FASTER guys on kick coverage. Just a thought.

But seriously, our guys looked like they were stuck in mud. I saw a couple of players wearing 40's and 50's on their backs that couldn't catch my sister in a foot race. I'm sure that the coaching staff is looking at different guys that can play special teams, but if the backups can't do it, use starters if need be. But they can't continue to give up big returns. Linehan said it himself. Good field position because of big returns are as bad as a turnover.

Hope we correct the problem soon.

I would expect the first team offense to play the entire half in KC. Let's hope they finally put some points on the board, other than FG's. If not, then I'll panic, slit my wrists and so on...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

ya turk seems to be a good pickup, far better than any punter for the rams the past few years...

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I agree with the consensus here on Turk, he's done great so far. I wouldn't put any of the blame for the long returns on Turk's shoulders, he hasn't been kicking line drives as far as I have seen. As for outkicking the coverage unit, I'd say those lazy duds better run faster then! I can't believe our special teams can continue to be so bad, year after year after year, with new coaches, new players, what the hell are we cursed or something?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER
    ...or we might try putting some FASTER guys on kick coverage. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark
    As for outkicking the coverage unit, I'd say those lazy duds better run faster then!
    I'm all for seeing quicker downfield coverage if that can happen, but if we're going to have a great punter that consistently kicks the hell out of the ball and a coverage unit that can't quite keep pace, somethings got to give. If we can get faster athletes on punt coverage, great, if not, some adjustments are neccessary in order to get the most out of what we have to work with.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Turk is doing well with the yardage numbers, but the term line drives scare me.
    How's his hang time been ??

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I'm all for seeing quicker down field coverage if that can happen, but if we're going to have a great punter that consistently kicks the hell out of the ball and a coverage unit that can't quite keep pace, somethings got to give. If we can get faster athletes on punt coverage, great, if not, some adjustments are necessary in order to get the most out of what we have to work with.
    WHAT? Listen to yourself r8rh8rmike. This notion about a kicker out kicking the coverage is BULL. What, you want Turk to kick them shorter? As a coach, you look at certain factors. Does the kicker kick it far, and if so, does he kick it high also with decent hang time. Turk both kicked it far and with excellent hang time each and every time. The coverage SUCKED. Just like it did with the kick off coverage. That's a coaching/scheme problem in my opinion. I don't believe that the non-starting players on the special teams are that much slower than starters, however, they do need to be coached to perform better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    WHAT? Listen to yourself r8rh8rmike. This notion about a kicker out kicking the coverage is BULL. What, you want Turk to kick them shorter? As a coach, you look at certain factors. Does the kicker kick it far, and if so, does he kick it high also with decent hang time. Turk both kicked it far and with excellent hang time. The coverage SUCKED. Just like it did with the kick off coverage. That's a coaching/scheme problem in my opinion. I don't believe that the non-starting players on the special teams are that much slower than starters, however, they do need to be coached to perform better.
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this BRM. When the return team gets a 10 yard buffer on the coverage team, bad things are going to happen. This discussion is probably moot as I'm not sure Turk is going to consistently punt the ball 60 yards, but if he does, adjustments will have to be made IMO.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I honestly don't believe that you can Outkick the Coverage. You just have poor coverage. I don't care if you say "Outkicked the Coverage" the kick was kicked along way and the Special Teamers were too slow getting down there.

Turk has great hangtime on his punts so far and they've been bombed. Our Special Teamers just can't get downt here fast enough. We need to get Fast Players on that team.
    RamsFan16

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

It's hard to put a finger on what exactly the problem is since I can only see what the TV shows. But what I do see is a screen full of opponent and open field, and a Ram nowhere to be seen for quite some time. It wouldn't bother me so much if we had a history of good coverage teams. But.... since we've been plagued with horrible kick return units the past couple of years, and I've see NO improvement so far, I'm worried. It's becoming a standing joke around the league. Hang time has been good to great, so I have to believe that the players are not getting through their blocks quick enough and they are not staying in their lanes. Also, the outside pursuit is NOT getting down the field quick enough and when they do, they take a bad angle. That IS coaching, IMHO. Let's hope that Linehan and his crew are burning the midnight oil working to solve this problem.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    WHAT? Listen to yourself r8rh8rmike. This notion about a kicker out kicking the coverage is BULL. What, you want Turk to kick them shorter? As a coach, you look at certain factors. Does the kicker kick it far, and if so, does he kick it high also with decent hang time. Turk both kicked it far and with excellent hang time each and every time. The coverage SUCKED. Just like it did with the kick off coverage. That's a coaching/scheme problem in my opinion. I don't believe that the non-starting players on the special teams are that much slower than starters, however, they do need to be coached to perform better.
    +rep BRM. I have to go with BRM on this one. I loved when we signed Turk, now he's doing a great job, but he needs to adjust and kick shorter because other guys can't cover? I just don't buy it. Keep booming them, and keep them high Turk. :l
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    +rep BRM. I have to go with BRM on this one. I loved when we signed Turk, now he's doing a great job, but he needs to adjust and kick shorter because other guys can't cover? I just don't buy it. Keep booming them, and keep them high Turk. :l
    Don't know where you guys got the impression that I think Turk should shorten his punts to any extent. Here is what I said:

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Not good, but something that I would think can be adjusted for by having Turk go for more hang time and being more selective with his punt placement and direction. Getting Turk and the coverage guys all on the same page with timing and strategy should be a priority.
    This is a quote from Norv Turner speaking about Shane Lechler "outkicking" his coverage that mirrors my thinking on Turk and our coverage:

"One of the areas we have to really look hard at is when we're punting the ball, Shane kicks the ball so far that the field is really stretched out,'' Turner said. "They're catching the ball sometimes at the 10-, 15-yard line. But we're on our own 20 when he kicks it and he kicks one of those 60-yarders, and it's a challenge for your coverage guys.

Turner said the team needs to assess its punting approach and consider directing the punt more carefully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast