general counsel is offline Registered User

Max Q- the 2001 rams

Mike Martz was the head coach of the best team in the history of the NFL NOT to win a title. A three point loss at the gun on a 50 yard fg in one of the worst officiated games of all time. How short are everyones memories that no one can recall how dominant that team was. All of a sudden the guy is an idiot and is being run out of town. Again, if we win that game, none of this occurs right now with the fans. Bellichick is a real genius. "Hold and Grab on every play guys, maybe the refs wont call it" Put another way, do everything you can to cheat and lets see if we can get away with it.

Does anyone think that this years colts are better than the 2001 rams. they will be better if they win it all, but this colts team is not as dominant as our 2001 rams. Tony dungy was run out of tampa. Too conservative, underacheiver etc. All of sudden now he is a genius? Cowher has great years and lousy years and is he fired? Sherman cant win in green bay, gee funny how hard it is to win when both your offensive line and defense stink.

People who think that martz is to blame for the mess on this team will be proven wrong and then we all will be sorry. This isnt about how someone uses timeouts, its about leadership and results and martz results speak for themselves. You cant win every year in the nfl given the cap and the injuries. THe expectations are out of order and those looking for a messiah to come in and take over and change this team overnight will be dissapointed.

Hopefully, we can get jeff fischer, who is a winner at the pro level. No one hopes that i am wrong more than me, i hope that we return to glory next year, but my fear is that the turmoil and disruption in the organization will continue until georgia drops dead and kroenke takes over and cleans house.

ramming speed to all, keep ike and sign big grease,

general counsel

EvilXenu is offline Registered User

Re: Max Q- the 2001 rams

Makes me mad just thinking about how that great season was tarnished by an undeserving bunch of cheaters!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Great post GC!!!

Hopefully all this coaching stuff has been blown out of proportion by the media and Mike will be back. But, I am not holding my breath. Not sure why anyone would want to coach in this town by the way they are treated by the front office and their "fans".

I want Mike!!

bruce_wannabe Guest

this is all true because martz's record speaks for itself.... bring another coach in here and it will take a couple of season to adjust....

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

great post gc, and very true.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I, also, am in agreement. I would like to continue to have Mike Martz as the coach although he needs to get rid of Marmie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

[quote=RamWraith]Great post GC!!!

Hopefully all this coaching stuff has been blown out of proportion by the media and Mike will be back. But, I am not holding my breath. Not sure why anyone would want to coach in this town by the way they are treated by the front office and their "fans".

I want Mike!![/

It might just be shawgmunt and the money,could be Martz comes back for 2006,and after that its pay up or I'll ship[ out on my own
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

People who think that martz is to blame for the mess on this team will be proven wrong and then we all will be sorry. This isnt about how someone uses timeouts, its about leadership and results and martz results speak for themselves. You cant win every year in the nfl given the cap and the injuries. THe expectations are out of order and those looking for a messiah to come in and take over and change this team overnight will be dissapointed.

Nice post GC, but I think it has more to do with friction between the FO and Martz than anything else.

One thing I like to point out is since 01' the coaching staff has changed dramatically. Martz made some bad decisions in bringing in his pals to fill vacancies on the coaching staff. As a result the D has tanked and the offense which once was mighty has fallen hard.

A head coach is only as good as those around him.
    I like Martz, and to sound like a broken record, he is a very good offensive coach. The one thing that IMO has haunted him is the reluctance to adjust his offensive scheme to the same level of talent that he currently has. He is a good head coach but dose not have the hard nose attitude that this team needs.

I just think it's time to move on and try to restore some dignity for this franchise.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

People who think that martz is to blame for the mess on this team will be proven wrong and then we all will be sorry.
    I'm not sure how those who think that will be proven wrong?

Either way, I will never be sorry for actions that are taken with this team that are beyond my control. If anything the organization itself should be sorry and offer an apology to the fans that spend their hard earned dollars to help support this team. After all, this entire mess is their doing.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Ed, i would define proven wrong as the situation not improving with another coach when we have the same talent level (measuring that over a several year period rather than over one season), especially if and when martz goes on and becomes a winning coach elsewhere. To me, that would demonstrate that the coach was not the cause of the problems.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

That's cool. I don't think about it the same way though. If Martz goes on to have success as a head coach I do would not relate that to this season. Nor would I relate a new coach coming in and having success or failure to this season. It proves nothing to me as far as this season. Either way, it is simply speculation, to me.

In this situation I don't single out one individual. I don't look to play the blame game. The organization is too broad. Some single out marmie, some single out the owner and some single out shaw. I look at them all, including the players. They all share the blame if it is to be given out. Just as in success, it takes an entire effort in the NFL.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Ed, i would define proven wrong as the situation not improving with another coach when we have the same talent level (measuring that over a several year period rather than over one season), especially if and when martz goes on and becomes a winning coach elsewhere. To me, that would demonstrate that the coach was not the cause of the problems.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

The problem with this is that it will always be comparing apples to oranges.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    That's cool. I don't think about it the same way though. If Martz goes on to have success as a head coach I do would not relate that to this season. Nor would I relate a new coach coming in and having success or failure to this season. It proves nothing to me as far as this season. Either way, it is simply speculation, to me.

In this situation I don't single out one individual. I don't look to play the blame game. The organization is too broad. Some single out marmie, some single out the owner and some single out shaw. I look at them all, including the players. They all share the blame if it is to be given out. Just as in success, it takes an entire effort in the NFL.

That's very laudable but makes improvement hard to obtain, after all, " In the Kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is King".

In any large organisation whether it be sporting, commercial,governmental or military one of the key principles is responsilbility. Responsibility to those above and those below and with responsibility comes accountability. If people concerned can't objectively assess all areas of the organisation and come to some conclusion about what went wrong and [B]where[B] it went wrong then how can they identify what to do about it?

Football, as we all know, is a results driven business measured mainly by how many games you win and to a lesser extent by statistics and it's on this basis that FO's, GM's, HC's,DC's and OC's make their everyday and longterm decisions and it's by this standard that the players are held up to scrutiny (although the vikes are held up to scrutiny in other ways as well). It's by this standard that they are held both responsible and accountable.Always been that way and always will be.

If we accept that the organisation's too broad then we must also accept that organisation isn't structured in a way that enables us to identify area's of improvement and then act upon them.

One thing I can guarantee is that come season's end some people are going to be held responsible for what happened this season. My own feeling is that due to the dysfunctional nature of the Rams front office it should be Shaw, Zygmunt and the ridiculous 'Slasher Samir'. I know that won't happen and instead we'll probably see the departure of Martz along with his entire coaching staff.

I'll be sad to see that day, if it ever comes because I feel sure that Martz will pile up Wins and statistics somewhere else whilst we struggle to adjust under a new coach with a new personality and new systems. He's done pretty well for guy with poor game management, poor eye for defensive talent, an obssesion with the pass and a dysfunctional front office hasn't he?

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Great post GC.
    Everybody also forgets that he is the 3rd winingest coach in activity after Belichik (what would have happened if...you already said that) and Reid (that's an underachiving coach).
    And I'm really sad just thinking about a ram offense without his managment. Yes, he passes a lot, yes he doesn't care about the running game, and yes he has to improve his "D coach criteria" but don't we love the "fast and furious", didn't we love when the media was praising us when J. Wilkins couldn't play and we converted all 2 points convertions? that is what GSOT is all about, as well MM.
    BUT after this season I don't know if the mad guy would want to stay and fight back again with the FO.
    I wrote to Santa and asked him another season with MM, but if that can't be, the second whish is not play against him.

curley4me is offline Registered User

great post, GC! i have always wanted the rams to keep mike martz, people seemed to have forgotten just how much he has done for this team. the colts are doing great things this year but the rams have been there and done that, many times since mike's been involved (500+ points 3 years in a row, who the hell is ever gonna do that again)??? it is nice to finally have other teams be compared to our beloved rams too!