throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Maybe its because I'm a lawyer...

GC can back me up on this...

As a lawyer, my mind is trained to equate the term "relevant facts" with the term "admissible evidence."

Maybe that's why, when I hear one person (a reporter) quote an unnamed person (supposedly a player), I don't even consider the issue.

Its inadmissible (for various reasons, including hearsay and simple lack of specificity).

Do I doubt that someone on the team threw the three first round DTs under the bus when talking to a reporter? Not really. But, without the ability to "cross-examine" the alleged speaker, I can't place any value on the statement.

From my perspective, two of the three have played fairly well this year (Pickett and Kennedy) while the other should be allowed to sign elsewhere (Lewis).

Perhaps the speaker was frustrated at the loss. Maybe he's jealous of their salaries. Maybe his statement was taken out of context.

Who knows?

Right now, all we have is a proffer of inadmissible evidence.

As Joe Vitt said... its not newsworthy.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Maybe its because I'm a lawyer...

I basically agree with Av on this one, but i think that there is a difference between legal guilt and innocence and the court of public opinion.

An example. Cop breaks down a door without a search warrant or probable cause. He finds a pound of cocaine in the house. The evidence is not admissable legally, but in the court of public opinion, the drugs were in the house and that does have a certain significance independent of the legal implications.

The report is hearsay and indeed inadmissable in a court of law. However, sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. I think that you can overeact to the statement made in frustration for what could be any number of reasons, but i do think the fact that a rams player perceives and believes that the three dts arent playing hard does have some significance. I agree that the pereception that "kennedy and pickett are killing us" doesnt really make sense. There are a lot of things that are killing us these days, frankly, i wouldnt put those two guys anywhere near the top of the list. Finger pointing on a team (especially in a public forum) is not a good thing. Public criticism of a teamate on the record is much more extreme and would be a much bigger story, but i do think that unless you believe this is made up (which i dont) there is something to it at least from a perception standpoint.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Cop breaks down a door without a search warrant or probable cause. He finds a pound of cocaine in the house. The evidence is not admissable legally
    That's why we just pull them over and plant the drugs on them. It's works better that way.

I'm kidding...we don't do that.........................anymore.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

HuBison, your statement is not true... according to nate newton, he of the possession of over 400 pounds of weed for "personal use" You might also get a different view from leonard little.

Ramming speed to you and all and god bless those like HuBison who put their lives on the line every day to defend us from the anarchy and chaos that truly reigns supreme in our society.

general counsel

I, for one, think that the person who was speaking to Silver was Coy Bacon.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, I'm for one glad that someone spoke out and lit a fire under some butts on my defense. I wish I knew who it was so I could send them a thank you card.

There's lots of smoke in that comment as GC said. It's newsworthy to me.

WAY TO GO whoever you are.

LordOfTheRams Guest

Your a lawyer avenger? That figures.

Of course its newsworthy. Theres a TO on the team who is trying to tear the Rams apart, but he dosnt have the guts to come out and say who he is. Whoever he is, he should be cut if they find him.

In response to the "where there's smoke, there's fire" comment... the problem is, the only person who (purportedly) saw the smoke and can verify it is Silver.

So, its more like, "where someone tells you there's smoke, there must be a fire."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Its inadmissible (for various reasons, including hearsay and simple lack of specificity).
    In court, I'll take your word for it. But in journalism, hardly. Why hold both to the same standard when they're clearly different things?

Anonymous sources are used in all forms of reporting all the time. Just last night, I watched a ten minute segment on MSNBC where two sources who preferred to remain nameless gave information about the lack of airport security in the US.

If you're skeptical about information provided by sources who'd rather remain anonymous, that's up to you. But to completely discount it just because that source wishes to remain anonymous or to apply some kind of legal standard doesn't make much sense to me. But that's just me, maybe.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Don't even get me started on how I feel about how low the standards of journalism have become in this country.

In a nutshell, its become "All The News That's **** To Print."
    Last edited by Nick; -11-19-2005 at 12:04 AM.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Don't even get me started on how I feel about how low the standards of journalism have become in this country

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I wish that was the most important profession in America with standards that are lacking. Sadly, we all know that's hardly the case.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    That's why we just pull them over and plant the drugs on them. It's works better that way.

I'm kidding...we don't do that.........................anymore.
    You know this reminds of the darnest story. The ATF boys apparently were real frustrated that their CI had failed to produce the real locations of The Hollow's stills.

So as fate would have it, the next time I bought some sugar they pulled me over and insisted that the 5LB bag of powder in the trunk was blow (That's slang for cocaine). I humored them and let them book me.

At trial, my attorney, Anthony M. Cardinale, asked them to produce the evidence and have it retested. Now here is where it gets really strange. It seems as if the evidence, which no one would ever plant of course, was in fact Similac.

Go figure. Drugs that no one would plant, anymore, got stolen from the evidence room, again. Of course that would never happen either ....... anymore.

talkstoangels61 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfTheRams
    Your a lawyer avenger? That figures.

Of course its newsworthy. Theres a TO on the team who is trying to tear the Rams apart, but he dosnt have the guts to come out and say who he is. Whoever he is, he should be cut if they find him.

Wrong! It needed to be done but, maybe behind doors would have been more professional!