general counsel is offline Registered User

Maybe Jackson doesn't really want to be a Ram

Here is a potential explanation for Jackson's actions. I am not suggesting this is the case, but it is an alternative to explain why his agent rejected out of hand a "top 5" running back contract and has helped cause Jackson not to report despite an offer that if true, can hardly be termed disrespectful, especially considering that he is currently under contract and not a free agent.

Maybe Jackson sees the Rams as a franchise in decline. Coaching, ownership and front office disarray, aging skill position players (excluding him) and a HIGHLY suspect offensive line. St Louis is also not a big market town.

Maybe Jackson's view is that he is happy to stay with the Rams if they pay him an outrageous amount of money compared to what other running backs have gotten. He is the all time yards from scrimmage guy and the marketable star of the team for years to come and figures the Rams really have no choice but to pay him. However, all things being equal, he would just as soon leave the team and find greener pastures, either by forcing a trade or ultimately reporting and then becoming a free agent.

The flaw in this theory is (as barry pointed out) the Rams can tag him and he has no control over where they trade him, but maybe he figures that in the end, if he makes it clear that he won't be happy, he will wind up somewhere else with a better chance of either winning or in the alternative, being the highest paid guy at his position.

I believe that Jackson will report before Barry's deadline as i dont think he is going to lose the year towards free agency. I do think this is a real story, i dont think the holdout when he is under contract is a non event. I am of the view that this type of holdout increases the liklihood of injury when he comes back as he will not be in shape, no matter how hard he thinks he is working out on his own.

The Rams are truly between a rock and a hard place in this situation and I for one have questions about whether Jackson could care less whether he is a Ram for any extended period of time. He is a professional and he is certainly entitled to have the view that its only about money. However, as a fan, i am entitled to care less about him if his motivation is personal, rather than team oriented at all.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Maybe Jackson doesn't really want to be a Ram

It's possible, but if he doesn't want to be a Ram, he'd better report soon or he'll lose a year of eligibility. The team won't even have to franchise him if he's a restricted free agent next off-season because they can reserve the right to match any offer.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Well, if he doesnt want to be a Ram then he can get out! Don't let the door hit ya!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I've never read or heard any comment from Steven Jackson that suggests that he does not want to be a Ram. To the contrary, I've always perceived him as being a player who wants to play for one team, be the leader, and help that team succeed.

His current actions don't give me any reason to assume otherwise. He just (with the advice of an agent) is trying to use his bargaining power (which may never be higher) to get the best deal he can.

If he was playing for any other team, he'd be doing the same thing.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's an interesting theory. I'm not sure there's anything that actually supports it, though.

The fact that Jackson's agent has been negotiating with the team, though not recently since the Rams shut down those negotiations, suggests he's interested in staying here. If he wasn't, why even pretend? Personally, I think his chances of finding himself on another team are better if he made it known that he wanted to move on.

Additionally, I believe the only thing we know about the kind of deal Jackson is seeking is that he wants $20 million in guarantees. Larry Johnson's six-year deal last fall included $19 million in total guarantees. Four years ago when LT signed his new deal, it included $21 million in guarantees. Darren McFadden's rookie contract includes $26 million guaranteed.

Thus, I wouldn't consider Jackson's figure an "outrageous amount of money," especially now that it's a year later and prices have gone up. Just because the team has offered Jackson a contract that would put him in that tier doesn't mean Jackson should accept it. It's been said before in other threads, but there's more to a contract than total dollar amount and value.

RealRam is offline Registered User

As Fleece said, "it's possible" and Nick, "...an interesting theory". But I too agree on the unlikelyhood of Jackson taking such a stand.

There's definitely good reason to speculate on Jackson's actions right now but I'll settle with AV's take on our star RB:
    I've never read or heard any comment from Steven Jackson that suggests that he does not want to be a Ram. To the contrary, I've always perceived him as being a player who wants to play for one team, be the leader, and help that team succeed.

His current actions don't give me any reason to assume otherwise. He just (with the advice of an agent) is trying to use his bargaining power (which may never be higher) to get the best deal he can.

Last edited by RealRam; -08-05-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Tyop

general counsel is offline Registered User

the reason to "pretend" is to give the rams the shot to pay him more than any other player at his position, regardless of the fact that he has another year to go on his contract. We can agree to disagree AV, i dont buy that he would be doing this on any other team he was on in the face of a top 5 offer. Some teams, sure, but not all of them. Holding out while under contract is an act that is not in the teams interest, it is purely personal, and i think its a bigger deal than others think and that is a point on which reasonable people can differ.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I agree. He seems like he cares about his team and his teammates. I've always had a vibe from SJax as a guy who wants to win and be successful. This holdout could've been avoided if they gave him the money he deserves. I truly believe that he deserves a great contract and I want this guy on our team for another 5 years atleast. He's our future at RB as far as I'm concerned and he is the real deal.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

maybe Jackson is thinking the restricted agent isn't such a bad thing, If a team wanted to could break the bank on him, and the whole thing could blow up in the Rams face. Say a team like Seattle who is known to take our free agents. Let's say he doesn't report in the start of season, has a monster year, and then goes into free agency a retricted agent. Said team offers him 30 mil in guaranteed money. Now St Louy is in a situation where they have to think do they wanna match, to make things more difficult they could make the contract front loaded, which could make it hard on our team. All this because they wanted to be cheap 1 to 2 million dollars. They may think they have the bargaining chips but this could all backfire. They'd better say here Stevo here's 22 mil. I have a feeling this is not going to go so good, and the fans are going to be the ones that loose out. And I'll tell you this if they mess up on this one, I'm a goner. I've been a fan for too long to wait another 10 years for us to get to the Super Bowl. I waited 20 the last time. with a lot of ineptness inbetween.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    maybe Jackson is thinking the restricted agent isn't such a bad thing, If a team wanted to could break the bank on him, and the whole thing could blow up in the Rams face. Say a team like Seattle who is known to take our free agents. Let's say he doesn't report in the start of season, has a monster year, and then goes into free agency a retricted agent. Said team offers him 30 mil in guaranteed money. Now St Louy is in a situation where they have to think do they wanna match, to make things more difficult they could make the contract front loaded, which could make it hard on our team. All this because they wanted to be cheap 1 to 2 million dollars. They may think they have the bargaining chips but this could all backfire. They'd better say here Stevo here's 22 mil. I have a feeling this is not going to go so good, and the fans are going to be the ones that loose out. And I'll tell you this if they mess up on this one, I'm a goner. I've been a fan for too long to wait another 10 years for us to get to the Super Bowl. I waited 20 the last time. with a lot of ineptness inbetween.
    Well, don't forget if he's a restricted free agent and they do sign him, they have to give up picks to do so. If we put a high tender on him, a team that wanted him would have to give him a contract that we wouldn't match and still cough up first and third round picks. If we franchise him, they'd have to give up two first rounders.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Maybe there is more to this than his current agent's advice.

Maybe Jackson has something in his mind. Some sort of plan or expectations that have yet to be met.

Still seems odd that Jackson's previous agent fired him.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Maybe he wants to be out from under Faulk's shadow....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

This just gives me one more reason to hate this one year wonder in the back field. i really don't think he's the back for us but it seems tobe very apparent most people here love him.........i just don't get it.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

wanderer is offline Registered User

I actually feel that Jackson's behavior indicates that he wants to stay a RAM. Once a contract is signed then the issue of frree agent elgibility becomes null. The contract will most likely be long enough so that free agnecy will not be a factor when it expires. The current fines will most likely be compensated for in the contract jsut because it will be a large amount of money.

Jackson has already passed the point of no return as far as the lost free agency elgibility is concerned.

Also, since Jackson has been remarkedly quiet and low profile I also find this to be encouraging. Both sides are playing chicken but they are playing it on the sidelines and out of the media. No one is saying disparaging remarks, no hurt feelings, just business.

I agree that Steven Jackson is under contract and should be honoring that contract. This is one aspect of sports that I get frustrated with and I have little tolerance for either side of this "business". But, at least from what I see of this holdout I believe it to be more encouraging than say Owens, or Arrington, other circus we've seen in the press.

Lets just hope in this game of chicken that both sides don't run off the cliff, someone has to make a move, soon.