RamWraith is offline Registered User

Maybe Steussie could be some insurance

We have the money, we could allow Barron to gain a learning curve. Wouldnt hurt in my opinion.

Tampa Bay needs to create a significant amount of salary cap room in order to sign its 12 draft picks next month, and the Buccaneers could make some progress in that area before the start of next week’s three-day mandatory mini-camp.

PewterReport.com has learned that Bucs tackle Todd Steussie, who has long been rumored to be a salary cap casualty after June 1, has not participated at the team’s organized team activity workouts over the past two weeks. With the Bucs having close to 100 percent participation during their voluntary OTAs, Steussie’s absence suggests he may not be a Buc much longer.

Steussie, who was signed to a six-year, $20 million contract during the 2004 offseason, started the season at right tackle but struggled making the transition from the left side, where he had spent his first 10 years in the NFL. In Week 5, the 6-foot-6, 320-pound Steussie was benched in favor of Kenyatta Walker.

In addition to his struggles on the field, Steussie has had to deal with steroid allegations this offseason. When he participated at Tampa Bay’s OTAs earlier this offseason, Steussie thanked the Bucs for their support but couldn’t comment much further due to the ongoing investigation.

Tampa Bay’s rookie salary cap pool this year has been set at $6,037,440. Presently, the Bucs are approximately $1.25 million under the 2005 salary cap, and need to free up just over $5 million in order to sign the team’s 12 draft picks.

The Bucs would get about $2 million in cap relief by releasing Steussie, who is scheduled to have a cap value of $2.666 million in ‘05. However, the team would still need to create about $3 million in order to sign all of its draft selections.

Other possible cap casualties include running back Charlie Garner, guard Matt Stinchcomb and T Kenyatta Walker.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Maybe Steussie could be some insurance

Good idea Wraith, I have been wondering if we should acquire a vet. and take some of the pressure off Barron. BTW has anybody heard if Scott Gragg is still available? If Steussie doen't pan out maybe Gragg could.

WHAT SAY YE?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I don't think we need him. We have enough depth on the o-line now, and IMO Steussie is no better than Saipaia, or Tecero who know the system and have some time under thier belt.

I can't see the Rams going after a vet OL unless there is an injury.

We must focus on FS.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Steussie couldn't even beat out Kenyatta Walker on the Bucs O-line at right tackle. He's not the kind of guy I'd like to bring in if we're tossing around the word "security."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!