Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,319
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The call on Atogwe was one of the worst I've ever seen. I just to tip the pass and wasn't even looking at the QB and in the act of coming down from his leap, his forearm made contact with him ....
    Exactly how I saw it too, RI. I gotta tell you I'm getting real sick of watching the QB be pampered by the officials.

    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  2. #17
    Richbert88's Avatar
    Richbert88 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,142
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    I think Gradkowski sold it to the ref briliantly. He pulled a Vlade Divac and did a flop.

    OJ was playing the ball and made incidental contact.

    The issue with hard hitting, I can accept that. But what McClain did was not hitting. Do that to Peyton Mannings WRs and the official would execute him on the field.
    Semper Fi!

  3. #18
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,947
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Here's the video of the play. Amendola was still on his feet and had yet to be tackled when McClain initiated the "suplex." I don't believe a whistle had been blown to indicate the play was over due to forward progress.

    YouTube - The Rolando Bottom

    You could argue that Amendola had been wrapped up and wasn't going anywhere, but we've seen players over the years escape those kinds of situations before. You'll get no argument from me that it was deserving of a flag, especially if you're going to flag stuff like the Atogwe and Robbins plays. But I dunno, I guess I'm just not as disgusted or appalled as some people are. What that says about me, who knows. I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

    This reminds me of the Brian Dawkins suplex from a couple (?) of years ago...

    YouTube - Brian Dawkins Suplex

  4. #19
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,319
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Here's the video of the play. Amendola was still on his feet and had yet to be tackled when McClain initiated the "suplex." I don't believe a whistle had been blown to indicate the play was over due to forward progress.
    Nick, you're absolutely correct. I don't recall a whistle either. The play was technically live.

    However, Amendola's momentum was going across McLain's body to the left. Amendola was wrapped up and McLain could have taken him down simply by falling to his left. But McLain didn't do that. He arrested Amendola's momentum, projected him upwards and back across the right side of McLain's body. It was not a football move. It was simply a large man showing he is physically stronger than a small man. Nothing more, IMO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  5. #20
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,947
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Nick, you're absolutely correct. I don't recall a whistle either. The play was technically live.

    However, Amendola's momentum was going across McLain's body to the left. Amendola was wrapped up and McLain could have taken him down simply by falling to his left. But McLain didn't do that. He arrested Amendola's momentum, projected him upwards and back across the right side of McLain's body. It was not a football move. It was simply a large man showing he is physically stronger than a small man. Nothing more, IMO.
    It looks to me like the window to ride him down to the left had passed during the wrap-up, as any momentum Amendola had in one direction or the other was basically stopped when McClain finished his wrap up by getting his right arm in around Amendola's waist. But I get the feeling I'm going to have to "agree to disagree" with a lot of people on this one, as I appear to be in the minority in not agreeing that it was disgusting or heinous. I just don't know that there's a natural way to take a guy down from that positioning that doesn't involve a display of superior physical strength.

  6. #21
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It looks to me like the window to ride him down to the left had passed during the wrap-up, as any momentum Amendola had in one direction or the other was basically stopped when McClain finished his wrap up by getting his right arm in around Amendola's waist. But I get the feeling I'm going to have to "agree to disagree" with a lot of people on this one, as I appear to be in the minority in not agreeing that it was disgusting or heinous. I just don't know that there's a natural way to take a guy down from that positioning that doesn't involve a display of superior physical strength.
    You're kidding right? Amendola is about 175 lbs. Are you implying since that window was closed, that Amendola was going to drag McClain around? McClain could have easily shoved him to the ground, picked him up and dropped him on the ground, he could have done a dozen things other than he did ...

    Instead, he physically tried to destory the man ...

    I've watched football for 22 years now, and played it for many. I would NEVER had considered doing what McClain did to his opponent, nor would the majority of players in the league. It is the ABSOLUTE definition of UNNECESSARY roughness ....

  7. #22
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,947
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    You're kidding right? Amendola is about 175 lbs. Are you implying since that window was closed, that Amendola was going to drag McClain around? McClain could have easily shoved him to the ground, picked him up and dropped him on the ground, he could have done a dozen things other than he did ...

    Instead, he physically tried to destory the man ...

    I've watched football for 22 years now, and played it for many. I would NEVER had considered doing what McClain did to his opponent, nor would the majority of players in the league. It is the ABSOLUTE definition of UNNECESSARY roughness ....
    What I'm saying is that there have been plenty of small guys in the league who have managed to escape from various situations where they appear to be stopped. That's why the fundamentals of wrapping up and tackling a player are important. Maybe McClain could have shoved Amendola to the ground, but in doing so, maybe he also gives Danny a chance to keep himself on his feet and continue the play. Likely? No, but certainly possible.

    There probably are a couple of other things he could have done that would have been better, which is why I agree with the flag. But thinking about it from McClain's perspective, he's in the heat of the moment and has a guy wrapped up in front of him. He needs to take this guy down and make a play for his team, and from that positioning, I can see where he'd instinctively lift the guy up to try and plant him on his side. He'll need to learn from that for the future, but what I don't agree with is this kind of rhetoric...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Instead, he physically tried to destory the man ...
    I just don't see or agree with that, or your description from earlier that McClain was trying to "malicously murder" Amendola. I think those descriptions are pretty over the top. But like I said earlier, I recognize that I'm in the minority here and will likely have to "agree to disagree" quite a bit.

  8. #23
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I just don't see or agree with that, or your description from earlier that McClain was trying to "malicously murder" Amendola. I think those descriptions are pretty over the top. But like I said earlier, I recognize that I'm in the minority here and will likely have to "agree to disagree" quite a bit.
    Except for the fact that if McClain turns Amendola a little further right and back into his throw, he slams him full force directly on his beck ....

  9. #24
    NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,145
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    It certainly was excessive and warranted a flag. I feel if you're going to trumpet your own horn as a league about the importance of player safety, defenseless player, etc. you have to admonish this unnecessary move in the form of a stiff fine.

    Amendola is a tough SOB, isn't he?

  10. #25
    Agrajag is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Wow, that Dawkins suplex was absolutely brutal! I actually cringed watching it.

    At least McClain didn't slam Amendola on his neck or back like that, but looking at the replay he really does come close. He had a plethora of clean choices to take him down after that wrap up but he chose one that gave up 15 yards, fair enough.

    However I do think the showboating aspect should earn him a fine ... I just don't care for that @#$! in football, though. It's just not my thing.

  11. #26
    BrokenWing's Avatar
    BrokenWing is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,663
    Rep Power
    35

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    My issue with the showboating wasn't even that it was showboating...it was that he celebrated (after) the penalty had been explained. Like: "Yeah, I'm awesome because I could have done serious injury to someone in a totally unnecessary tackle! YEAH!" Thuggish, stupid mentality.

  12. #27
    live4ramin's Avatar
    live4ramin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Missouri Flatlands
    Posts
    1,287
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    I remember Warren Sapp doing the same thing to Kurt Warner. A crazed beast.

    How come we never have carzed Beasts?
    Let the hype begin.

  13. #28
    live4ramin's Avatar
    live4ramin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Missouri Flatlands
    Posts
    1,287
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    How come I capitolized Beasts?
    Let the hype begin.

  14. #29
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,947
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Except for the fact that if McClain turns Amendola a little further right and back into his throw, he slams him full force directly on his beck ....
    Yet none of those things actually happened, so I'm still of the mindset that saying McClain tried to destroy or murder Amendola is over the top.

  15. #30
    live4ramin's Avatar
    live4ramin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Missouri Flatlands
    Posts
    1,287
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: McClain/Amendola

    How come I spelled capital wrong?
    Let the hype begin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •