throwback week

BerlinThunder Guest

McCollum adjusts to being No. 2

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

As might be expected, Andy McCollum wasn't a happy camper Monday when informed by Scott Linehan that the starting center job was going to Brett Romberg.

"I was pretty mad about it," McCollum said Tuesday, in his first comments on the demotion. "I think I've played pretty well in the preseason games. ... I think I've played good enough to earn a job. But it's his call. It's not my call. He's the head coach, and you've got to go with what he says."

So, for the first time since 1999, McCollum enters an NFL season as a backup. From the beginning of the 2000 season through the 2006 opener against Denver, McCollum started 104 consecutive regular-season and playoff games for the Rams. But he suffered a season-ending left knee injury in that Denver game. Romberg was awarded the job this season in part on how he finished last season starting the last three games.

The long, tedious rehab process from knee surgery made Monday's news even tougher to take for McCollum.

"Yeah, 'cause I'm kind of anxious to get back on the field," McCollum said. "I'm feeling pretty good. The knee feels great. I've never had the slightest bit of problems with it coming back."

McCollum plans to stay ready and make the most of any opportunity that might present itself as the season unfolds.

"It's hard for guys to make it through the whole year, and people get dinged up and stuff," McCollum said. "So I'm going to plan on that happening, and I'm going to be ready to go."

McCollum, 37, is 10 years older than Romberg. In explaining his decision Monday, Linehan said the age difference was a factor, though not a major factor, in the decision.

McCollum said he was frustrated that age entered into the decision-making process at all. "But I guess you've got to look at their point of view, and how they're seeing it for the future and what not," McCollum said.

After a brief pause, McCollum flashed some deadpan humor by adding, "I'm only like a month or two older than him, right?"

helorm341 Guest

Re: McCollum adjusts to being No. 2

At least he's not retiring right now and gives us quality depth.

Keenum is offline Registered User

It's good he's a little mad about it, that means his heart is still in the game.
    But he sounds like he will also help out Romberg whenever possible, and looks as if he will accept his role. He's probably the best backup C in the NFL right now.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    It's good he's a little mad about it, that means his heart is still in the game.
    But he sounds like he will also help out Romberg whenever possible, and looks as if he will accept his role. He's probably the best backup C in the NFL right now.
    Very good observations, Keen, I agree. That shows real zeal on McCollum's part and, at the same time, his willingness to support Romberg and the team. Helorm is also right in that we have a true quality center in Andy, one of the best in the depth department.
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-29-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Content

Rambos is offline Registered User

Think about this, last year we where in need a a center once McCollum went down and now we have two good ones. He will see some time as he said guys get dinged up.