KoaKoi is offline Registered User

McDaniels to Denver = more leverage

I don't know who else is with me... but I was pleased to hear that Denver went with McDaniels as their head coach, because i think it leaves the Rams HC position as one of the more attractive options still remaining.

McDaniels was not one of my front runners due to his age and lack of defense experience. Seriously, Devaney stated the Rams need someone of great leadership quality and knowledge of what it takes to bring Ram fans back into the fold. No offense, but i just don't think a 32 year old prodigy (who's been ultra-protected from media scrutiny by "that Patriot coach") is prepared for that type of role. He's got great X's and O's, but has anybody ever heard him speak. he's not used to the limelight yet methinks.

anyway, I was glad Denver picked him up, because the best candidates for the Rams remain and it immediately puts the Rams HC position as one of the more desirable positions remaining. There's only so many vacancies left, and with Denver out of the way, it may be easier for the Rams to land a top candidate. Its obvious Frazier wanted Denver, but now maybe he'll be more motivated to grab at the Rams position. Same with Spagnuolo, tho I think he might stay put.

any one with me on this one?

Falconator Guest

Re: McDaniels to Denver = more leverage

agree with basic premise.......

the Denver job was the "crown jewel" of head coaching openings and it is now filled. Consequently, as other jobs get filled, the Rams will continue to have more and more leverage as obviously there are so many openings.

Having said that, I still think the ownership situation hurts the Rams in the competitions for head coaching talent. I think the New York job and the Kansas City job are ranked higher - although I probably like the Rams job better than New York because of the unique pressure and scrutiny the Jets job brings.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    I think the New York job and the Kansas City job are ranked higher - although I probably like the Rams job better than New York because of the unique pressure and scrutiny the Jets job brings.
    thats the one thing i think the Rams have over the Jets is the fact that the Jets firing Mangini may have been deemed a tad harsh by his fellow coaches (inc. Co-ordinators) around the league after he had two winning seasons out of three...whilst no one can doubt Linehans firing was completely warranted,
    a first time HC may feel that he`d have more time to grow into the job in St.louis.

i wasnt aware that Herm Edwards had left KC? tho have been busy with work lately..

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    thats the one thing i think the Rams have over the Jets is the fact that the Jets firing Mangini may have been deemed a tad harsh by his fellow coaches (inc. Co-ordinators) around the league after he had two winning seasons out of three...whilst no one can doubt Linehans firing was completely warranted,
    a first time HC may feel that he`d have more time to grow into the job in St.louis.

i wasnt aware that Herm Edwards had left KC? tho have been busy with work lately..
    I think Edwards is in similiar situation as Haslett.......he's not technically fired but it is thought that he probably won't make it. The main difference is KC is looking to hire a GM with the leader being Scott Pioli. The thought is that the new GM will most likely want to bring in his own new head coach.

In the meantime, the Chiefs still technically have Herm Edwards as their Head Coach - though he most likely will be fired.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

ah rite...im pretty surprised at that as i was thinking during last season that because KC seemed to have a "screw this season ,lets build for the future" attitude that Herm had been given the thumbs up so to speak for the long term.
    if i was a HC on the hot seat i wouldnt have gone along with that and just played whoever were the best players to get some wins now!

not saying Herm is great or anything near that...just from the way i read the situation,i thought he had their backing.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    ah rite...im pretty surprised at that as i was thinking during last season that because KC seemed to have a "screw this season ,lets build for the future" attitude that Herm had been given the thumbs up so to speak for the long term.
    if i was a HC on the hot seat i wouldnt have gone along with that and just played whoever were the best players to get some wins now!

not saying Herm is great or anything near that...just from the way i read the situation,i thought he had their backing.
    well, I really thought that the Chiefs would hire Scott Pioli as GM and then he would bring in Josh McDaniels as new head coach. Today, Josh McDaniels was hired as head coach of the Denver Broncos. It was widely thought of that Pioli/McDaniels would be a package deal.

There are now two teams that have hired coaches who do not have sitting GMs - Cleveland Browns and Kansas City Chiefs - very, very bizarre as it is generally thought that you let the new GM pick the head coach so they have continuity.......

To date, I have heard little about the Broncos hiring a GM - maybe they have an internal candidate that they are promoting but I don't know. Maybe the Broncos are going to hire Scott Pioli - again, I don't know.

Regarding Scott Pioli, I think he has been removed from consideration from GM position in Cleveland and he is still a candidate in Kansas Citi.

who the "h" knows?

RedArcher7 Guest

And a better job has will be opening up in Indy. Dungy's set to retire.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    And a better job has will be opening up in Indy. Dungy's set to retire.
    It's already been filled, the assistant head coach, whoever that is, is set to take over

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    agree with basic premise.......

the Denver job was the "crown jewel" of head coaching openings and it is now filled. Consequently, as other jobs get filled, the Rams will continue to have more and more leverage as obviously there are so many openings.

Having said that, I still think the ownership situation hurts the Rams in the competitions for head coaching talent. I think the New York job and the Kansas City job are ranked higher - although I probably like the Rams job better than New York because of the unique pressure and scrutiny the Jets job brings.
    question falconator. I do not have a problem with other teams fans coming here. But you post seem more like trolling than serious debate. Just an observation. So don't take it personal when I say how can a fan of a team that lost to the Cardinals a 9-7 team say anything to us. LOL