Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Re: McDaniels hired!

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    IF Alexander (who happens to wear 84) can be moss, we already have a mini welker. So in theroy we have the same type of players at the wr positions already that he had in 07 with the pats. So maybe we dont need a new wr after all?? Or am I talking crazy
    you are definitely talking crazy. At this point we aren't sure Alexander can play a whole season. Let alone play like one of the top five receivers in the history of the sport. Alexander, even when healthy, is not Randy Moss.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

ESPN's Mike Sando reporting that the Rams and McDaniels are a done deal.

Is the '11 season here yet?

Let's go RAMS!!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

holy wowzers batman .... adds to the most interesting off-season ever as a rams fan, or maybe i've been so deprived in the last 9 years its all just ... overwelming.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So much for trusting Chris Mortensen reports.....

viper is offline Registered User

Rams Name McDaniels Offensive Coordinator

By Stlouisrams.com

ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Rams announced Tuesday that former Denver Broncos head coach and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has agreed to become the Rams’ offensive coordinator.

“We are happy to announce that Josh will be a part of our staff,” said Rams Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo. “I’ve always recognized that he is one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. We think he is a great addition to our organization.”

McDaniels spent the last two seasons as the head coach of the Broncos after serving as an assistant with the Patriots from 2001-08. While in New England, McDaniels played a key role on a staff that won three Super Bowl titles and four AFC championships in his eight seasons with the organization.

He was a personnel assistant on the 2001 team that defeated the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, served as a defensive assistant on the 2003 club that won Super Bowl XXXVIII and was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2004, a season that culminated with a victory over the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX. McDaniels was New England’s offensive coordinator in 2007 when the Patriots fell to the Giants in Super Bowl XVII. Spagnuolo was New York’s defensive coordinator in that contest.

During McDaniels’ first season in Denver, QB Kyle Orton set career highs for pass attempts, completions, passing yards, touchdown passes and passer rating while tying his career low for interceptions. Orton’s 3,802 yards were the sixth highest for a season in Broncos history. In 2010, the Broncos ranked seventh in the NFL in passing yards per game and finished 13th in total yards per game.

In addition to his role with Patriots quarterbacks, McDaniels added the title of offensive coordinator in 2006. In his second season as New England’s offensive play caller, McDaniels oversaw a unit that broke several NFL records, including points scored, touchdowns scored and most players scoring a touchdown.

Under McDaniels’ tutelage, 2007 NFL MVP Tom Brady broke the NFL record for touchdown passes in a season (50) and led the league in both passing yards (4,806) and passer rating (117.2). Brady also set franchise marks in nearly every major passing category, while WR Wes Welker set the franchise record for receptions in a season (112) and WR Randy Moss broke the NFL record for touchdown receptions with 23. The Patriots offense also posted the franchise's highest average yards per rush in 22 seasons with 4.1 yards per carry and the team's 17 rushing touchdowns were the second highest total in the previous 20 years.

Brady went to three Pro Bowls during his six seasons with McDaniels serving as his position coach. After Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2008 regular-season opener, another McDaniels protégé, Matt Cassel, led the club to a 10-5 record as a starter. In his first season as an NFL starter, Cassel posted the third-best completion percentage in Patriots history (63.4) while passing for 3,693 yards with 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Prior to joining Bill Belichick’s staff, McDaniels spent two seasons as a graduate assistant under Nick Saban at Michigan State. A native of Canton, Ohio, McDaniels attended John Carroll University, where he played quarterback and wide receiver for the Blue Streaks from 1995-98. He and his wife Laura have two children.
    Last edited by viper; -01-18-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Reading the above article must brings tears to bradford & jacksons eyes.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Ugh. I don't care for this at all. While do I expect it "aired out more" I also expect more 3 and outs, and a tired defense in the 3rd quarter. Shurmur was so damn under-rated its sickening. Atleast McDaniels won't have to wait to wait until April as to who the QB on the team will be, and when said player is signed under contract.

jagaf22 is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: McDaniels hired!

This is an excellent hire. Although McDaniels clearly wasn't ready to be a head coach it's hard to argue with his results as an offensive coordinator.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    IF Alexander (who happens to wear 84) can be moss, we already have a mini welker. So in theroy we have the same type of players at the wr positions already that he had in 07 with the pats. So maybe we dont need a new wr after all?? Or am I talking crazy
    Dx showed signs of brilliance, but he often got lost in the shuffle and was unabe to create opportunities for himself. He'll develop, but if the Rams add a big play guy that knows how to run routes and get free, the "new" Rams offense can hit the ground running. Bradford, Jackson, Amendola, Clayton, Hoomanawanui and a speedy impact receiver in McDaniels offense? Oh baby!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm glad we resolved this question early in the off-season.

Whilst the presumed change of system makes me a little nervous, this is a huge opportunity for McDaniels and Bradford.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Ugh. I don't care for this at all. While do I expect it "aired out more" I also expect more 3 and outs, and a tired defense in the 3rd quarter. Shurmur was so damn under-rated its sickening. Atleast McDaniels won't have to wait to wait until April as to who the QB on the team will be, and when said player is signed under contract.
    right because we didn't have tons of three and outs with Shurmur. In particular his offensive gameplan against the Hawks was brilliant. Let's see do we A. exploit their weak run defense or B. expose their penchant for giving up big plays oh how about C. do neither instead let's throw nothing but short passes, refuse to run the ball, even when running well and rinse and repeat for the entire game. I was willing to give Shurmur time until the final game of the season. Watching us put up 6 points against a team that gave up over 400 on the season was all I could handle. God I'm glad he's gone.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Shurmur's merits are irrelevant to whether hiring McD was a good or bad move. That being said, I liked Shurmur as an OC, and I hope I grow to like McD as our OC as well. Not a huge fan of him as a person as he seems to me to be a jerk. But hey I don't know the guy so I could be wrong and in any case I don't have to work with him. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with Bradford.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    [ McDaniels attended John Carroll University, where he played quarterback and wide receiver for the Blue Streaks from 1995-98.
    wouldn`t that make him a former team mate of London ".com" Fletcher?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Very glad and pleased Mac is our new OC! Critical step forward for the Rams.

I think that a perfect scenario to look forward to with McDee is the hypothetical final game in week 17 that we lost (badly) two weeks ago, removing us from a chance at the playoffs. I suspect that with McDaniels directing the offense we would have been better prepared, performing better, i.e., producing considerably more.

Thus, there's always 2011!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Nice ears Micky!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast