Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: McDonald, Fisher

So he's not the world's best tackler, he's been better than average in coverage.
    I have to disagree. He started his career pretty solid, but since the injury a couple of years ago, he just hasn't been the same. His instincts appear to be poor as he is constantly out of position, and playing catch-up. Either he is showing the coaches something during practice or our backup corners are truly horrible.
    By contrast, I don't get the gushing over Atogwe.
    Here we agree. It may just be a matter of time and experience to get him comfortable with the position, but he has not been good in coverage yet. Yes, he's made a couple of plays, but he's made just as many and more poor coverage decisions.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree as well on OJ. He has made some plays, but he has a long way to go. The long pass to antonio bryant was in the air long enough to bring rain, i think he should have picked it off and that play completely changed the game. The bad tackling this week on a play where oj had the receiver stopped on third down and couldnt bring him down also hurt.

I like OJ and am optimistic about his future, but its not fair to bash away at travis without mentioning oj as well from a tackling and coverage perspective.

As for bartell and butler, i will remain consistent and not substitue what i think i know for the superior knowledge of the coaching staff. People that want butler to play, how do you even know how healthy he is? As for bartell, there is no evidence of any kind that he can cover in the nfl. Sure he's big and strong, but so what? Let him prove it to the coaches on the practice field that he can at least contribute on special teams and then we can talk about activating him.

Why do people always believe that they know more than the coaches who watch these guys every day in practice and have far more data available to them. It never ceases to amaze me. I appreciate criticizing the coaches for game day play calling, clock management and decision making since at least we are watching the same thing that they are, but when it comes to personnel, we watch the game, they watch these guys every day in practice and on film all week.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Bartell is not even being activated for the games? Then who is playing is playing the 4th corner spot and backup safety?

WHAT SAY YE?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Bartell is not even being activated for the games? Then who is playing is playing the 4th corner spot and backup safety?

WHAT SAY YE?
    No, Bartell has been active for all three games. Mainly ST, but he has been active and has played in each game.

Did you mean Butler?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Why? We already beat them on the road.

I'm surprised you're going back there. My initial reply was merely being charitable.

This is what you said originally: "I doubt we'll face a #2 receiver as good as we did today the rest of the season. "

What I wanted to say is that this is a fairly silly statement considering the fact that since the Rams will play AZ again, there is no doubt that they will face a #2 receiver as good as Fitzgerald again cuz ... well, they'll face Fitzgerald again ...

Now if you want to attribute the Rams' win on the road with Fisher's play then we will have to take that tortured logic out back to the tool shed separately and beat it like the pretzel-shaped rug it is.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    I'm surprised you're going back there. My initial reply was merely being charitable.

This is what you said originally: "I doubt we'll face a #2 receiver as good as we did today the rest of the season. "

What I wanted to say is that this is a fairly silly statement considering the fact that since the Rams will play AZ again, there is no doubt that they will face a #2 receiver as good as Fitzgerald again cuz ... well, they'll face Fitzgerald again ...
    Gee golly molly, that "what I wanted to say" thing works two ways. I obviously was implying that we won't face another team with a #2 receiver who is as good, but you want to make a deal out of that.

Besides, I was commenting on your "fetal position" notion. If you get scared at the thought of playing a team you already beat but at home, then you have a pretty weak stomach.

Now if you want to attribute the Rams' win on the road with Fisher's play then we will have to take that tortured logic out back to the tool shed separately and beat it like the pretzel-shaped rug it is.
    Good luck trying to find anything in my post remotely close to what you're suggesting here. You've got your own tortured logic to deal with, so you can stop worrying about mine.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I have to disagree. He started his career pretty solid, but since the injury a couple of years ago, he just hasn't been the same. His instincts appear to be poor as he is constantly out of position, and playing catch-up. Either he is showing the coaches something during practice or our backup corners are truly horrible.
    I was referring specifically to his play in the first two games. I don't recall the other teams throwing at him very much and when they did he generally seemed in position.

As to last year, he stunk up the joint...no doubt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123