Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

"The McFadden Plan" - Should the Rams Consider It?

Let me set this hypothetical with two presumptions:

1) The Rams first round pick would allow them to take Darren McFadden (i.e. they have the first pick or the team that does wants a QB); and

2) Steven Jackson, if put on the trading block, would yield a first round pick.

Would you make this move?

There is actually a pretty similar historical precedent. When the Colts had Marshall Faulk and a top draft choice, they elected to trade Faulk (who was older than Jackson is now) and drafted Edgerrin James. The trade worked out well for both teams.

Here, the Rams would get a RB who looks like the next big thing, and would avoid having to worry about re-signing Jackson to a big contract after the 2008 season. With a mid-round pick in the first round, the Rams could address either the O line or select a pass rusher, though the top players would clearly be gone at that point.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I like this plan or not. Ask me in eight weeks.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-07-2007 at 12:50 PM.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: "The McFadden Plan" - Should the Rams Consider It?

I would rather trade down to someone that really wants McFadden, get more picks, and pick up Jake Long. We would have to trade with someone that currently has a high pick because I don't think Long will be on the board for very long though. I know taking an OL isn't the flashiest of moves, but we desperately need it.
    Last edited by moloch41; -11-07-2007 at 01:11 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

the problem with the strategy is the following. First, due to the increasing cap, mcfaddin is going to get a LOT of money, and the difference between what he will get and what jackson will want may not be anywhere near what it appears, especially with jackson coming off a season in which his stats are way down due to injury. Second, while i LOVE mcfaddin, i dont see any evidence that he can catch the ball anywhere near the way jackson can. He is also nowhere near as big.

As for trading back and taking jake long, interesting theory, i just dont see that long is likely to be available if we trade back more than a couple of spots. In fact, it wouldnt surprise me at all to see long go ahead of mcfaddin, but that will depend on lot of how fast mcfaddin runs at the combine.

To me, at the end of the day, this team has many needs. Running back isnt one of them. I want to lock up jackson long term by taking advantage of the down year stats wise and not have to pay an arm and a leg as we would have if he had another year in 2007 like he did in 2006.

To me, the trade down comes with the team that either wants to trade up to get a qb or potentially trade up to get mcfaddin/. I have my eye on those 2 #1 picks the cowboys are holding.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I admit, I've thought of this too, but lets rewind three years to the 2005 draft. Lots of choices for first round running backs. You never know what you're getting, so Bucs go with Cadillac Williams. He had a breakout 1st year and has done nothing since due to injury. What if this happens to McFadden? I'd rather see if another team wants to trade up for him,and then get Chris Long at a lower price.

I really see the top 3 as being Jake Long, Brohm, and McFadden, with the 4th maybe being the BC QB. and 5th being Chris Long, so I don't think we have much room to operate if we decide to make some deals. Of course, if we grab Dallas' two picks, we'll be able to get two guys for less than our one pick will demand salary-wise.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

im sorry but just because jackson has been injured this year we give up on him now for a rookie in mcfadden who could turn out to be the next peterson or the next lawrence phillips.... come on this thread is a joke, HOW DOES JACKSON GO FROM TOP 3 RUNNIINBACK IN THE LEAGUE IN OUR OPINIONS TO TRADE BAIT, YOU GUYS ARE PATHETIC

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    come on this thread is a joke
    No, your overly hostile response is a joke.

The reality is that Jackson is going to be very expensive to re-sign, and as he approaches the end of his next contract (and the age of 30) he very well may not be earning his salary any more.

I'm not saying the Rams should absolutely dump him. Rather, I'm saying that good teams explore all options with an open mind.

How Old Is Jackson??? Im Not Gonna Allow This Thought To Be Brought Up. Look At The Rams When They Traded Eric Dickeron, A Good Team That Made The Playoffs But Not A Great Team, Pretty Much Where We Are With This Team Now... After They Traded Dickerson, The "same Ole' Sorry Asss Rams" Era Began In The Early 90's... Come One People The Same Pattern Is Happening Now For This Team... Come On Avenger, I Know Your Flustered On The Way The Season Has Played Out, But You Cannot Trade Jackson... Period

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No, your overly hostile response is a joke.

The reality is that Jackson is going to be very expensive to re-sign, and as he approaches the end of his next contract (and the age of 30) he very well may not be earning his salary any more.

I'm not saying the Rams should absolutely dump him. Rather, I'm saying that good teams explore all options with an open mind.
    Well said Av.. ...and to the response about Jackson suddenly becoming trade-bait. It's really simple. The man is hurt, and his future is in doubt. Some suspected Jackson's durability before he became #1, and now we're still wondering. Do we really want to lay down a ton of money for him, or should we cut our losses and move on?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

How Old Is Jackson??? Im Not Gonna Allow This Thought To Be Brought Up. Look At The Rams When They Traded Eric Dickeron, A Good Team That Made The Playoffs But Not A Great Team, Pretty Much Where We Are With This Team Now... After They Traded Dickerson, The "same Ole' Sorry Asss Rams" Era Began In The Early 90's... Come One People The Same Pattern Is Happening Now For This Team... Come On Avenger, I Know Your Flustered On The Way The Season Has Played Out, But You Cannot Trade Jackson... Period
    First of all, if you read the post that started the thread, I didn't say I think the Rams should trade Jackson, I merely posed a hypothetical and asked people to comment.

I agree with those who have expressed a preference for trading down and getting two first round picks. That would be a sound approach, in my opinion. If the Rams had three of the top 35 picks in the draft, they could address a lot of issues.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Mcfadden reminds me of a fast back.That's it. I don't know if he can catch well, pick up blitzes, catch out of the backfield, etc. I say Keep SJ and lets address another area such as the Offensive line or a stud Linebacker, or desperate need of help in the Secondary.

Milan is offline Registered User

Definitely not, and I'd rather have Mike Hart. Either way, nope.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Well said Av.. ...and to the response about Jackson suddenly becoming trade-bait. It's really simple. The man is hurt, and his future is in doubt. Some suspected Jackson's durability before he became #1, and now we're still wondering. Do we really want to lay down a ton of money for him, or should we cut our losses and move on?
    Yes I think this is the issue that is not being addressed. Jackson has major questions concerning his durability. The reason he fell to us in the first place is because it was questioned as to weather he could stay healthy as he had injury concerns in college. Suppose we sign him to a big deal and he can't stay healthy. Everybody will be coming out of the woodwork saying Rams management should have taken into consideration his injury concerns.

did the bills get much for mcgahee... did the broncos get much for clinton portis... not as much as you think they would of gotten... the raiders only got a 4th for randy moss... so there is no way we could get a 1st and 2nd rounder for jackson hypothetically....

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Man...Seeing that Jackson basically IS our team, I am not one to be nuts about putting him on the trading block. He is a beast, and anyone who denies that is a fool.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

did the bills get much for mcgahee...
    They received two third round picks and a seventh round pick.

did the broncos get much for clinton portis... not as much as you think they would of gotten...
    Actually, they got the top CB in football (Champ Bailey) and a second round pick. That was an awesome deal for Denver.

the raiders only got a 4th for randy moss...
    First of all, he's a WR. Second, in 2006, Moss looked like he was done (not to mention his rep as a head case).

so there is no way we could get a 1st and 2nd rounder for jackson hypothetically....
    I never said they could. I do think he could yield a first round pick, though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast