RealRam is offline Registered User

McGarigle Comes Up Big in '9th Inning'

:r Hey, maybe McGarigle makes team! I hope so.

McGarigle Comes Up Big in 'Ninth Inning'

Thursday, August 30, 2007

By Brett Grassmuck / Stlouisrams.com

Last week, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said the final preseason game was the bottom of the ninth for linebacker Tim McGarigle, who was forced to miss the first three preseason contests due to a hamstring injury.

McGarigle made the most of his at-bat, more than likely coming up with the big hit that will land him on the 53-man roster for 2007.

“I think he got his fair share of hits,” coach Scott Linehan said. “There was a lot of pressure on him. He puts a lot of pressure on himself, because he’s a great competitor. He missed basically the entire training camp with that hamstring injury, but he was patient. He worked very hard. He knew he was going to have a shot tonight to solidify himself, and I think it’s fair to say he did the best with his opportunity.”

McGarigle’s moment came in the second quarter, when he sprinted across the field and picked off a pass from quarterback Jeff Terrell that saved a Chiefs’ touchdown, and preserved a 3-0 lead for the Rams.

“I just went out there and played like I know I can,” McGarigle said. “It’s frustrating going to practice knowing that you can’t play. The hamstring injury is such a touchy injury, and you don’t want to get hurt again. It’s great to go out there and play to the ability that I know I can play at.”

A seventh-round draft pick out of Northwestern in 2006, McGarigle spent last season on the Rams’ practice squad and was battling for a spot on the 53-man roster. McGarigle is happy with his effort in the final preseason game, but isn’t making any predictions regarding the roster spot.

“Anything can happen in this league, but I put it on tape, I signed off on that tape and it’s up to the coaches now,” McGarigle said.

STEUSSIE AILING: [See 'Steussie Breaks Foot' thread]

EVERYONE DRESSES: There were no pregame inactives for the Rams as coach Scott Linehan had the entire roster dress for the final preseason game. Although everyone dressed, the offensive starters did not see the field. Gus Frerotte started for Marc Bulger at quarterback, Brian Leonard started for running back Steven Jackson, Dane Looker started for wide receiver Isaac Bruce, Joe Klopfenstein started for tight end Randy McMichael, Adam Goldberg started for right tackle Alex Barron, Claude Terrell started for right guard Richie Incognito, Andy McCollum started for center Brett Romberg, Milford Brown started for left guard Mark Setterstrom, Todd Steussie started for left tackle Orlando Pace and Marques Hagans started for wide receiver Torry Holt. No starters were in for the first defensive series either.
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-31-2007 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Added note on Steussie news

Re: McGarigle Comes Up Big in '9th Inning'

From N. Wagoner after the Chiefs game, Rams Official website:

...Some young Rams made a strong case for a spot on the roster ... a young linebacker whose position has been precarious at best made his case...

...Linebacker Tim McGarigle made the game’s most important defensive play. In a week in which defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said it was the "bottom of the ninth” for McGarigle in terms of a potential roster spot, the second-year linebacker made a touchdown-saving interception that also helped save the lead and the game.

On third-and-goal at the Rams’ 4, Kansas City quarterback Jeff Terrell rolled to his left, suddenly running back Kolby Smith came open in the short corner of the end zone. Terrell floated a pass that looked to be a sure touchdown when McGarigle came darting down the line, jumped in front of Smith and intercepted the ball.

Although the Rams didn’t convert the turnover into points, it was enough to keep the Chiefs out of the end zone and keep them in the lead heading into the half. It was the type of play that lands a player a job and Linehan indicated as much after the game.

"I think some guys proved a couple of things to me about how they are going to respond if you get an opportunity to be thrown in the fire,” Linehan said. "Tim McGarigle is a great example. He proved why he is such a good football player. You give him an opportunity and he’s going to take advantage of it. I think he showed he belongs and they are ready to help.”

PS: I'm hoping he will play a healthy and strong LB with the same INTENSITY, PASSION, and RELENTNESS pursuit as he did at NorthWestern.

His NW major: TACKLING. Minor: MORE TACKLING.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-02-2007 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Added PS

Still hoping today, Friday, TM makes team! :bash: So far, I'm fine.

Excellent! :bash:

So glad to see McGarigle apparently is IN the Rams LB corps.

Forgive my insistance and favoritism but I hope McGarigle remains in the 53 man roster.

To me, this LB can reach the same value that we appreciated in Jon Alston though not necessarily through the same physical attributes (even if same in size). I've been rooting for Tim since last year and am hopeful via his impressive collegiate achievements, that is, in addition to his aggressiveness, intensity and relentless style.

He just may develop strongly. Special Teams asset too.

Tim McGarigle LB / 6-1 235

General: Closed his career as the NCAA's all-time leading tackler with 545 hits (the NCAA began keeping official defensive statistics in 2000) ... Recorded double-digit tackle totals in 29 career games ... Notched three career games with 20 or more tackles ... Started 40 career games, his last 34 in succession ... Emotional and physical leader of NU's defense ... Was at his best when things weren't going well and the defense needed a lift ... Coaching staff best described McGarigle as "relentless."

2005: Consensus second-team All-Big Ten selection ... True senior ... Named one of 10 semifinalists for the Dick Butkus Award (nation's top linebacker) and was named one of 12 semifinalists for the Chuck Bednarik Award (nation's top defensive player) ... Also was on the Watch List for: Rotary Lombardi Award (top lineman), Bronko Nagurski (top defensive) and Ronnie Lott IMPACT (top defensive player) ... Co-recipient of NU's Wildcat Warrior Award ... Named to numerous preseason award watch lists: Rotary Lombardi (top lineman/linebacker), Bronko Nagurski (top defensive player), Chuck Bednarik (top defensive player), Dick Butkus (linebacker) and Ronnie Lott (defensive IMPACT) ... Street & Smith's preseason second-team All-America and first-team All-Big Ten ... Sporting News, Lindy's, collegefootballnews.com, Rivals.com and Athlon Sports preseason second-team all-Big Ten ... 11th-ranked outside linebacker on Lindy's player ratings list and 14th on TSN ... Tabbed one of TSN's three "Biggest Hitters" in its "Clutch Players" section ... Designated by Street & Smith's as the Big Ten player with the "Best Instincts"

...Became Northwestern's career tackle leader in the first quarter of the Iowa (Nov. 5) game ... Finished the contest with 13 tackles ... Totaled a game-high 17 tackles (nine solos) vs. UCLA in the Sun Bowl, pushing his NU and NCAA-record-total to 545 (previous NU mark was 503)

...Finished the year second on the Big Ten (fourth nationally) tackle list (13.0 per game) ... After recording a career-best 25 tackles (and a 2005 Division I-A single-game best) on Oct. 8 against Wisconsin, jumped from fourth to first on the Big Ten's tackle list

...Totaled 21 tackles (11 solos), as well as an interception, vs. Michigan ... Tabbed the Walter Camp Football Foundation and Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Wisconsin: career-high 25 tackles (personal-best 15 solo tackles), career-best 3.5 TFL's and a career-best two sacks ... His 21-tackle effort vs. Michigan was tied for sixth-most in 2005

...Named the Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week for his Wisconsin effort ... It was his third such honor from the Big Ten

...Also earned College Football News Co-Big Ten Player of the Week honors with teammate Tyrell Sutton ... NU's leading tackler in first four games as well: Ohio (9), Northern Illinois (17), Arizona State (10) and Penn State (9) ... Had a forced fumble and quarterback hurry vs. Ohio ... Notched two TFL's and a fumble recovery against NIU ... Registered a pass breakup vs. Arizona State ... Totaled seven solo hits, including a 2-yard TFL as well as a pass breakup and hurry vs. Penn State ... In addition to his nine tackles vs. the Boilermakers, had a fumble recovery and a breakup ... 10 tackles at Illinois.

Source: NUSports.com

Seems to me this young LB is hungry, coachable and committed (as proved be coming back from his hamstring injury that very nearly kept him out of the roster this preseason). I want to think he is similar to Tinoisamoa in passion and all out attack.

Just a matter of getting his feet wet and developing. :bash:

PS: verified Alston / McGarigle size, for the fun or it. TM is a bit larger LB at 6-1 235. Alston is 6-0 225. Tim is same size as Tino.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-02-2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Alston / McGarigle size correction