RamWraith is offline Registered User

McMichael finds stability with the Rams

Jason Young
    Associated Press
    ST. LOUIS - Randy McMichael finally entered a mini-camp knowing for certain who his team's starting quarterback will be to start the season.

He spent his first five years with Miami where the Dolphins changed starting quarterbacks on an almost annual basis - if not multiple times a year. The tight end said he signed with St. Louis as a free-agent for the stability it offered.

"It was to the point (in Miami) where it was like, 'Who's going to be the quarterback this year?'" said McMichael on the first of the team's three-day mini-camp.

The Dolphins used three quarterbacks last season and nine during McMichael's tenure in South Florida. This season, Trent Green is Miami's latest attempt to find a consistent starter.

McMichael said he wanted nothing to do with the revolving quarterback situation at Miami. Instead, he spent the offseason considering the New York Jets, Oakland and St. Louis and decided with Marc Bulger at quarterback the Rams offer him the best chance at success, individually and as a team.

The stability for St. Louis comes not only at the quarterback position but throughout the offense. Aside from an offensive line that was in flux for part of 2006 because of injuries, the top of Rams' depth chart has not changed much over the past several years.

Steven Jackson has been the established No. 1 back for two seasons and Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt have been mainstays at receivers for years. McMichael said he's excited to play with that caliber of offensive players and is not concerned that the talented duo will cost him receptions.

"If you're open they're going to throw you the ball," McMichael said. "That's one thing I didn't consider. I really wanted to come here and be part of something special. I really feel like I am going to be able to help this football team."

McMichael has started every game since the Dolphins drafted him in the fourth round out of Georgia in 2002. He had 62 receptions for 640 yards and three touchdown in his final year with Miami.

Under Rams coach Scott Linehan, who served as Miami's offensive coordinator during the 2005 season and uses the same offense in St. Louis, McMichael had a career-high five touchdowns. He said knowing the offense and having played under Linehan certainly was a draw for him.

"The way he coached in Miami, I admired him a lot," McMichael said. "I know he was big fan of mine, just like I was a big fan of his."

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: McMichael finds stability with the Rams

awwww how cute mcmichael and linehan admire each other...

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    awwww how cute mcmichael and linehan admire each other...
    Let the love fest begin. I'm really looking forward to seeing Randy do some damage vs opposing defenses.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RealRam is offline Registered User

How about that? McMichael the team player. :r Good to see happening.

E-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t. Coach Linehan is putting together a strong set of receivers all around. Can't help thinking this is going to be a high caliber offense with RBs Jax and Leonard and possibly more frequent two TE formations.

June 13. Tic-tok, tic-tok, tic-tok...

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Now I hope they don't start swapping spit in the shower..........or was the Clint & Mario? who cares .
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!