RamWraith is offline Registered User

McMichael: fond memories of Ricky Williams

By Bill Coats
    08/20/2007 4:19 pm

In 2002, ’03 and ’05, tight end Randy McMichael played on the same Miami Dolphins offensive unit with running back Ricky Williams. It was a pleasant experience, McMichael recalled.

“You know what, I had fun with Ricky,” said McMichael, an offseason free-agent pickup by the Rams. “Ricky is an absolute talent, and you’ve got to love him. A lot of people who don’t know him write things about him and say things about him, but they don’t know him. Since I’ve been in the league, he’s probably the best running back I’ve ever seen. The things he cauld do once he got a football in his hands were unbelievable.”

Asked to compare Williams with Rams RB Steven Jackson, McMichael said: “The one thing is the size difference. Ricky is more compact and his burst is just outstanding, but I think Steven is a better receiver. He’s an up-and-coming back in this league. You saw last year with his breakout season, and I really just feel like better things will come for Steven.”

McMichael said he hadn’t seen or talked with Williams recently.

“I don’t think anybody’s talked to Ricky,” McMichael said. “I really don’t think Ricky has a phone, and I don’t even know where Ricky is right now. I’m sure Ricky is somewhere discovering a new religion or something like that. One thing about Ricky: Ricky is not bored, I can promise you that.”

Assistant coaches Jim Chaney and Jeff Horton are splitting Judd Garrett’s duties as tight ends coach. Garrett will be absent indefinitely following the death of his wife, Kathy, on Sunday.

Chaney is doing the run-game and classroom work, while Horton handles the pass-game instruction and individual drills.

Kathy Garrett died four days after she was stricken on her 38th birthday. A cause of death has not been determined. Funeral arrangements were incomplete.

The Garretts have four children; the oldest is 14. Linehan said the organization is being “very supportive of Judd and his family, because that’s really what’s important. It’s a great reminder for all of us of what’s important. You get caught up in this game and our jobs and everything we’re doing. You find out really what’s important.

“I think the best thing for Judd is, he knows he’s got to take the time he needs to take for his family to make sure they’re OK and not put a timetable on it.”

Notes from Monday’s practice:

>>The players were in full pads for the 90-minute indoor workout. That’s unusual just two days after a game, but the short week before Friday’s game in Oakland is squeezing the schedule. “We’re still in training camp mode, and we needed to get ourselves some work,” Linehan explained.

>>The national media tour continued with a visit from Pete Prisco of CBSSportsLine.com. Also in the house was Dan Pompei, formerly of The Sporting News who now is covering the NFL for the Chicago Tribune.

>>G Mark Setterstrom took a few snaps at center during one-on-one drills.

>>Special-teams coach Al Roberts was knocked to the turf inadvertently during one of his drills. The wags on the sideline said it was the hardest hit seen from that unit so far. (rim shot!)

>>QB Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a few passes as he recovers from a broken rib on his right side suffered Aug. 10 at Minnesota.

>>WRs Dane Looker (back) and Dominique Thompson (ribs) practiced in red “no-contact” jerseys.

>>OL Todd Steussie is going to have more tests on his sore neck “just to make sure everything’s normal,” Linehan said.

>>C Andy McCollum got all the first-team snaps because Brett Romberg sat out with a sore ankle.

All for now…

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Re: McMichael: fond memories of Ricky Williams

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    “You know what, I had fun with Ricky,” said McMichael, an offseason free-agent pickup by the Rams.
    Let's hope he didn't have too much fun with Ricky.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

By Bill Coats

>>Special-teams coach Al Roberts was knocked to the turf inadvertently during one of his drills. The wags on the sideline said it was the hardest hit seen from that unit so far. (rim shot!)
    I'm all for inadvertent tackles of the opposition. Let's hope we see plenty of them during the regular season.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

By Bill Coats

>>The national media tour continued with a visit from Pete Prisco of CBSSportsLine.com. Also in the house was Dan Pompei, formerly of The Sporting News who now is covering the NFL for the Chicago Tribune.
    No mention of RamWraith or AvengerRam reporters for the Clan. Where were you guys?