throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

McMichael to lead Rams' offense back to prominence?

11:49AM
    Bucky Brooks > INSIDE THE NFL
    Rams' McMichael may key offense - Bucky Brooks - SI.com

Randy McMichael should dramatically improve his 2007 totals of 39 receptions and 424 yards.

Can a tight end coming off a 39-catch season lead the Rams' offense back to prominence?

As unlikely as it sounds, that is one of the questions that new offensive coordinator Al Saunders has been faced with in his return to St. Louis. He takes over an offense that finished 24th in total offense. However, that should change and one of the keys may be Randy McMichael.

Despite coming off the worst season of his career (those 39 receptions for 424 yards and three touchdowns), McMichael figures to play a more prominent role under Saunders. The innovative play-caller incorporates the tight end heavily and McMichael's skills are a perfect match.

"He has the ability to put up big numbers in that offense," said a NFC scout. "I'm not saying that he is a better player than Chris Cooley, but he is a better athlete and he'll get enough opportunities to be a problem for the defense."

McMichael creates a matchup dilemma for defenses as his athleticism makes him a tough draw for linebackers and his size poses a problem for smaller defenders in space.

Saunders has a history of taking advantage of such mismatches, having been instrumental in the development of perennial Pro Bowl tight ends (Cooley and Tony Gonzalez). Under Saunders' direction, the starting tight end has averaged 72 receptions for 900 yards and six touchdowns. Saunders, who undoubtedly learned how to utilize the tight end while as working as an offensive assistant on Don Coryell's staff with the Chargers during the Kellen Winslow era, builds his attack from inside-out, using with the running back and tight end in prominent roles.

McMichael has flourished as the focal point in the past, and his career includes three seasons with over 60 receptions as a Dolphins. Although the presence of Steven Jackson and Torry Holt will make the Rams less reliant on McMichael in the passing game, the seven-year veteran will benefit from the attention directed to the Rams' top playmakers. With teams sure to load up the box with an assortment of eight-man fronts to clog up Jackson's running lanes on early downs, McMichael should find plenty of room to operate against soft three-deep zones that accompany those looks. And his presence down the middle of the field is the ideal remedy for the double coverage or two-deep zones that teams use to minimize Holt's impact.

The Rams' offense was a disappointment of epic proportions last season, but the re-emergence of McMichael should lead the unit out of the doldrums and back to the ranks of the elite.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: McMichael to lead Rams' offense back to prominence?

An improved and healthy line will lead this offense out of the doldrums. Given time, Randy can run some paterns and not stay in so much to block, Bulger can search the field, Holt can be Holt, Bennett can be ........ not sure, Avery & Burton can do some field stretching and SJ can keep everybody honest.

It'll be the line that makes this all happen!
    Semper Fi!

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

C'mon offensive line! If we hold up we can make it a season!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

cfh128 is offline Registered User

If the Rams offense returns to prominence, I dont care if its Randy McMichael or Reche Caldwell or Brock Berlin leading the way. In recent memory, we have been an offensive powerhouse and we need to get back to that. That is our calling card, that is who the Rams are. Other teams should be circling the date on their calender when they play us and push their defense extra hard to try to contain us. Last year was brutal, but I don't think we are as far off from being a top flight offense as it would appear on paper.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

You know, that is a good point. McMichael is probably our only receiving threat who is in his prime and has ranked among the top players at his position in the past, albeit before he came to St. Louis. Now that we have Becht to help with the blocking, that might free up McMichael to have a big year. Sure, Holt will be the number one option, but McMichael could be number two.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

perennial Pro Bowl tight ends (Cooley and Tony Gonzalez)
    Gonzalez? Sure.

Cooley? How does ONE pro bowl make a player....perennial?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Gonzalez? Sure.

Cooley? How does ONE pro bowl make a player....perennial?
    You are correct, bison. But Chris Cooley can play. Barring injury, Cooley will see plenty more pro bowls. I wish that he was on our team.

RAM ON!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    You are correct, bison. But Chris Cooley can play. Barring injury, Cooley will see plenty more pro bowls. I wish that he was on our team.

RAM ON!
    I like Cooley. And in my opinion, he should have gone to the '05 luau ahead of Shockey and Witten. But there's a lot of question marks in D.C. regarding Cooley.....

1. Does Sherman Smith bring with him the Titans' gournd attack?

2. Does Jim Zorn (who has already stated is going to handle playcalling) bring with him the Holmgren offense, which doesn't exactly emphasize the TE?

3. Will newbies Thomas, Kelly, & Davis take away catches?

I'm not saying one way or the other, but those are all questions affecting Cooley that will need to be answered. However, it's all irrelevant to my point. I'm simply addressing the quote that Cooley is a perrenial Pro Bowler. I disagree. He might be in a couple of years, but so might I. As for right now, neither of us are.

P.S. Again, I like Cooley. He's been a darling of my fantasy team for the past 3 seasons.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

chipperjones Guest

I truely believe if the O-Line is healthy and half-way decent we will make the playoffs. Randy McMichael is an all-star caliber TE. One of the best. He has good hands, he can block with the best of them, and is fairly fast. With an ok O-Line and Becht doin some dirty work he can perhaps make our offense elite again. Maybe Im just bias because Im a fan, but we have some very talented players.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    I truely believe if the O-Line is healthy and half-way decent we will make the playoffs. Randy McMichael is an all-star caliber TE. One of the best. He has good hands, he can block with the best of them, and is fairly fast. With an ok O-Line and Becht doin some dirty work he can perhaps make our offense elite again. Maybe Im just bias because Im a fan, but we have some very talented players.
    I don't know about the play-offs, chipper. But being competitive is within our grasp. And yes, the O-line being healthy and productive is an ABSOLUTE MUST! Without that, all other discussion about offense is moot. The tight end position is extremely important. McMichael? i don't know. I just don't see that position as being capable of making our offense "elite" again. With a "weak" receiving corps. And a one dimensional running game, it really negates the power of a tight end. It allows a defense to concentrate on that option and at some point neutralize it.
    And i agree. We do have some very talented players. So does every other team in the N.F.L. The key is to take those talented individuals and make them a talented TEAM.

RAM ON!
    Last edited by YodaRam; -07-03-2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: i missed the bus

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I like Cooley. And in my opinion, he should have gone to the '05 luau ahead of Shockey and Witten. But there's a lot of question marks in D.C. regarding Cooley.....

1. Does Sherman Smith bring with him the Titans' gournd attack?

2. Does Jim Zorn (who has already stated is going to handle playcalling) bring with him the Holmgren offense, which doesn't exactly emphasize the TE?

3. Will newbies Thomas, Kelly, & Davis take away catches?

I'm not saying one way or the other, but those are all questions affecting Cooley that will need to be answered. However, it's all irrelevant to my point. I'm simply addressing the quote that Cooley is a perrenial Pro Bowler. I disagree. He might be in a couple of years, but so might I. As for right now, neither of us are.

P.S. Again, I like Cooley. He's been a darling of my fantasy team for the past 3 seasons.
    one thing is for sure though, Jason Campbell loves throwing to Cooley, and a TE like him is ideal for a young QB

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    I don't know about the play-offs, chipper. But being competitive is within our grasp. And yes, the O-line being healthy and productive is an ABSOLUTE MUST! Without that, all other discussion about offense is moot. The tight end position is extremely important. McMichael? i don't know. I just don't see that position as being capable of making our offense "elite" again. With a "weak" receiving corps. And a one dimensional running game, it really negates the power of a tight end. It allows a defense to concentrate on that option and at some point neutralize it.
    And i agree. We do have some very talented players. So does every other team in the N.F.L. The key is to take those talented individuals and make them a talented TEAM.

Kinda' like the Cowboy's "one-dimensional" (what does that mean, exactly? - Barber looked pretty good to me. Jones was a non-factor)) running game prevented Witten from catching 97 passes (he only caught 96 for 1,150 yards) They have Owens, of course, but we have Holt.

I'm pretty excited about Saunders and McMike hooking up.
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-03-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Kinda' like the Cowboy's "one-dimensional" (what does that mean, exactly? - Barber looked pretty good to me. Jones was a non-factor)) running game prevented Witten from catching 97 passes (he only caught 96 for 1,150 yards) They have Owens, of course, but we have Holt.

I'm pretty excited about Saunders and McMike hooking up.
    First off, Vegas, comparing the Cowpiles and the Rams offensively at this point is no comparison at all. They are miles ahead of us until proven otherwise. And you're ready to compare McMichael to Witten? And by "One dimensional" , i'm referring to our running game. We are obvious in our approach.
    As far as wide receivers ( and it pains me to say it), Owens is better than Holt right now. Has Holt lost a step? I don't know. But he is less of a factor. With Bruce gone and little fear of Holt, what do we have there? Unproven rookies or journeymen? You tell me.
    So are you telling me that a T.E. should be the focal point for the offense? You think that year in and year out that's good? The Rams need balance. I'm sorry, i just can't feature what you're saying..........

RAM ON!