Texas Tech assistant head coach Ruffin McNeill has an interview today with the St. Louis Rams, who have been assembling a staff since the Jan. 19 hiring of Scott Linehan as head coach.

The Rams contacted Tech a few days ago seeking permission to speak with McNeill.

His closest connection on the St. Louis staff is new Rams offensive assistant Jeff Horton. Horton was head coach at Nevada-Las Vegas from 1994-98, and McNeill was the Rebels' defensive coordinator the last two of those seasons.

McNeill said he has met Linehan, the former Miami Dolphins' offensive coordinator, but never worked with him.

"My aspiration is to be a college head coach,'' McNeill said. "I've never really had goals to coach in the NFL. That wasn't part of it. But the fact that they called and seemed really serious about it, I thought I'll go up and see what they expect and just visit with them.''

McNeill is scheduled to return to Lubbock on Monday.

McNeill, who coaches the Raiders' defensive tackles and special teams, turned down an offer in December to be defensive coordinator on Kansas State's new staff.