View Poll Results: What is the driving force behind the media 4 pillars?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • The media: they presume that they must cater to the lowest common denominator.

14 51.85%
  • The fans: the media is simply supplying what is demanded.

3 11.11%
  • Both are equally responsible.

10 37.04%
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Media 4 Pillars (Ego, Flamboyance, Controversy, Outspokenness)

The Rams have their 4 pillars; the media has theirs.

There can be debate that the media aggrandizes "personalities," and overlooks players who are talented, but quiet. Whether its the disproportionate coverage of Brett Favre, Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson, or putting guys like Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders in the studio, the media subscribes to the addage that there is "no such thing as bad publicity."

My question is this...

Is the media driving this trend by force-feeding us these "personalities," or is it simply "giving the people what they want"?

What's your view?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: The Media 4 Pillars (Ego, Flamboyance, Controversy, Outspokenness)

It's absolutely the media. For the example of Favre talk, most people can't stand the daily stories about what he's doing or not doing. It's the media's fault for not wanting or willing to find anything that might be harder to dig up. You see it every week with the pregame shows as well. Lots of fluff very little substance. The best pregame show is on at like 6am on ESPN where it's all about the actual football X and O's that will be played that weekend.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it's both.

95% of it is the media force feeding us with alot of useless information about a character they think we want to know more about.

EX: Oh, and this just in Brett Favre caught a 9 pound bass this afternoon or
    Deion Sanders was caught speeding Tuesday morning. His excuse: I was running late for work.

5% is squeezed out about a player you might want to really know something about.

EX: Marc Bulger of the St. Louis RAMS is welcoming the new offense with open arms. Now onto the T.O. trade to Buffalo and how he can't find a home or apartment to rent in Buffalo because the residents and owners feel like T.O. will bring trouble to their neighborhoods.

At least that's how I feel about it.

shower beers is offline Registered User

See, but Brett Favre can hardly be considered anything but quiet. I think it's a bit unfair to lump him into the same category as a Terrell Owens or a Chad Johnson, who bring the media circus to themselves. All Brett Favre has really done (except of course for refusing to make up his mind) is shoot a jeans commercial.

So sometimes when there isn't a Chad Johnson around legally changing his name to a number, they have to blow something out of proportion. I think a lot of it has to do with the emergence of 24 hour news coverage. News outlets are constantly digging up stories to cover throughout the day, and often times they only have small bits like this to run with. I would propose that if there weren't such a frenzy around Brett Favre, there would certainly be a lot less interest in him. To conclude, blame 24 media coverage.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

It's the media. Instead of the people telling the media what they like, the media tells us what to like.

Look at the Octomom. Who gives a @*%#??? Yet there she is, day after day, dominating the headlines.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    So sometimes when there isn't a Chad Johnson around legally changing his name to a number,
    This isn't a shot at you shower beers, I would just like to point something out here:

Chad Johnson is a moron. Ocho Cinco is not eighty five. It's eight five. That's not a number.

Just wanted to vent there...

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    This isn't a shot at you shower beers, I would just like to point something out here:

Chad Johnson is a moron. Ocho Cinco is not eighty five. It's eight five. That's not a number.

Just wanted to vent there...
    Hah. Yes, I also knew that. It's still hilarious, especialy knowing that he has to write that down when he files taxes, goes to the doctors office, etc.

I don't agree that Favre is so innocent. A guy who holds a tearful press conference announcing his retirement, then comes back and forces a trade, then retires again, then starts flirting with his old team's rival...

He should just get the words "LOOK AT ME" tattooed on his forehead and be done with it.

With respect to the poll, it should come as no surprise that I think the media drives this nonsense. Sportswriters are notoriously lazy, and its easier to write an article about how a waitress in Dallas compared the tipping practices of T.O. and Tony Romo than to actually write something of substance.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Great question, AV! Definitely debatable. Excellent posts too on either opinion.

I voted 'both' ... BUT it seems to me that the media would have an intangible edge as to being the culprit. Just enough to maintain that proverbial carrot ("news") dangling from the string (players) tied to the stick (media), in front of the jackass (us fans).

So much of this is SO tabloid! Yet interestingly, much of said gossip is what makes the players so popular. AAAARGH!

I like your mention of Irvin placed in the studio. Perfect example of an asinine cause-and-effect media / fans achievement.

BEER is offline Registered User

Whos to blame, the dem or the rep for our economy. I say both, just like this situation
    everything is a balance of idiocy.