Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The media says the Rams have the worst WRs...Oh, really?

I find it interesting how many sportswriters have condemned the Rams WRs corps as being the league's worst.

There are two teams who have WRs who are no more accomplished than the Rams' group, and yet were playoff teams last year (and are considered contenders this year).

Exhibit A: NEW YORK GIANTS
    Right now the Giants starters are Dominique Hixon and Steve Smith (not that one... the other one!). Would you trade Donnie Avery for either of those guys? I sure wouldn't. Would you presume that both of those guys is better than Laurent Robinson and Keenan Burton? Maybe, but its pretty close. Sure, the Giants have Hakeem Nicks as a prospect, but he has not played a down in the NFL. Need I list all of the WR busts over the years? Beyond that, they have Sinorice Moss and Mario Manningham, two guys who have never lived up to the potential they showed in college.

Exhibit B: TENNESSEE TITANS
    Again, I ask... who would you choose first from among three players: Nate Washington, Justin Gage or Donnie Avery? I'd take Avery in a heartbeat. The Titans also took a WR on Day 1 of the draft - Kenny Britt. But, once again, you can't just presume he'll be productive. Beyond that, Lavelle Hawkins, who did nothing as a rookie, is their top depth player.

So, who has the worst WR corps? Who knows? When you are talking about groups of young, untested players, the question simply can't be answered "on paper." It would not surprise me in the least the worst WR corps ends up being a team that, right now, is considered solid at the position (players do, after all, get hurt and get old).

But if the Rams' inexeperience at WR is a major flaw... how can you not say the same about the Giants and the Titans?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -07-23-2009 at 05:34 PM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Re: The media says the Rams have the worst WRs...Oh, really?

There are a lot of teams with WR's that are about as bad as the Ram's. The Giants, Bears, *****, Vikings, Dolphins, Jets, Ravens, Titans and Raiders have about the same talent in receivers as the Rams do.

maineram is offline Registered User

Going into last year Torry was listed as a top 10 wideout in all the NFL !!!

Nuff said, Avery in his first year had a comparable season in his FIRST year.

Experts are right here on this site and those who contribute to this site, ESPN WHO ???

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

39thebeast is offline Registered User

What everyone else has is more experience, what we have is just as much talent and potential as any squad minus the Saints, Cardinals, Patriots, and maybe Eagles.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

The Rams, often perceived as the team with Worst receiving core, has the worst, on paper. Little do these "Media writers" know, we have the most potential of any crew out there.

Avery, Robinson, Curry, Burton, and Foster have so much potential, that it's not even funny. On paper we're inexperienced, which is why we're the worst. But when they step on the field next year, we'll show them that we're much better than our experience shows.
    RamsFan16

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Out with the old, in with the new. Could it be possible that we get no love because our 2-14 record from last year? Or our 3-13 the year before that. I'm sure that plays a huge roll in the way our beloved analyst perceive our team. But thats just the way things are in the world of sports. Heck we don't even get any type of prime time games because the nation just doesnt pay us any mind. Ratings is what matters to these guys. They're better off picking the safer more popular choice like Larry Fitz, Or Randy Moss as the guys that will eventually lead their teams to stardom. So let the young ones prove themselves and earn their pay 1st, win a couple of huge games with a spectacular game winning catch, then do it again the next game. We'll start to feel welcomed again. thats just the way it works, and its never gonna change.

Ramer is offline Registered User

What do they know.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

And if wishes were horses, Av. For once I disgaree with you and your analysis, at least for those two teams. Personally I feel that the Raiders have the worst receiving corps, but just focusing on the Gints and the Titans, we're worse off than they are.

I would trade our corps in a second for that of the Titans as Gage is a quality possession guy and makes some plays, meanwhile Nate Washington is a downfield burner like Avery is, only he has the experience factor in his favor. In the NFL I'll always take proven production over potential.

As for the Giants, they're mostly stocked with potential now as well, however at least Hixon, Smith and Moss have been there for 2-3 years already and are now ready to take on the reigns of starting. Could they fail? Aboslutely, and it wouldn't surprise me, but they have hung on to roster spots even over the hero of NYC, David Tyree. They've shown something while there and now they get their chance on the field. I'd keep our guys, but the trade would be pretty close.

Other close teams, but ones who I would rate above us would be the Whiners(as much as it kills me), Bears, Dolphins, and Jaguars.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I have to watch a lot of Steelers games in ohio, and I must admit that Nate Washington is a pretty good receiver. I think he's in store for a breakout year, now that he's not behind Ward and Holmes.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Teke
    meanwhile Nate Washington is a downfield burner like Avery is, only he has the experience factor in his favor. In the NFL I'll always take proven production over potential.
    Well, but Teke, Avery did outperform Washington last year; the best of Washington's 3 seasons.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Well, but Teke, Avery did outperform Washington last year; the best of Washington's 3 seasons.
    And Gage for that matter(You got me, man!), but the two of them have a combined 9 seasons in the league, meanwhile our top 3 receivers only have 5. I would take the two of them over our top two, just in my opinion.

That said, I know Avery is a better receiver than either of them individually.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I would take New Yorks group of Nicks, Smith, Moss, and Manningham over what we have now any day. The Rams have young players and a lot of talent. But come on. Past Avery there is not a solid starting wide receiver on this team. Plus, you have to give Moss and Manningham a break. Both have been in the league a very short time, and both have had minor injuries that have hampered them since day one. That happens to quite a few young wide receivers as they try to bulk up their bodies.

Now Tennessee on the other hand. They're bad. Thats the only team in the league that I would say has a worse wide receiving corps than us. I would take Washington and I would take Hawkins because I believe he has the potential to be better than the rest. Besides that I wouldnt touch any receiver from tennessee

The only receiver that I wouldnt swap with either of those teams is Avery because of his speed. The rest of those wide receivers are role players and backups...
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39 View Post
    Plus, you have to give Moss and Manningham a break. Both have been in the league a very short time, and both have had minor injuries that have hampered them since day one. That happens to quite a few young wide receivers as they try to bulk up their bodies.
    Why do Manningham and Moss get a break, while Robinson and Burton do not?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I don't know how anyone can tell who's who... I don't think any of them have caught a single pass this year.

I hope the opposing teams the Rams play think like the "experts".
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    But if the Rams' inexeperience at WR is a major flaw... how can you not say the same about the Giants and the Titans?
    I don't think anyone is calling either of those units great, but when your success is built on a strong running attack and a relentless defense, then a less than stellar receiving unit probably doesn't get as much attention.

What's interesting about both of those teams is that, collectively, they had four players that finished in the top 30 in rushing yards. The Giants fielded a two-headed monster in the backfield - Jacobs and Ward - who rushed for over 2,000 yards and 17 touchdowns combined.

The Titans have a young but very productive 1-2 punch at running back. The cocky Chris Johnson was a rookie sensation, rushing for 1200+ yards and nine touchdowns. LenDale White wasn't too shabby either, amassing a solid 773 yards with 15 scores. Combined? Just over 2,000 yards and a whopping 24 rushing touchdowns.

Both of these teams also had defensive units that ranked among the best in the league. In yards per game allowed, the Giants ranked fifth (292 ypg) while the Titans ranked seventh (293.6). In points per game allowed, the Giants ranked fifth again (18.4 ppg) while the Titans were second best in the league (14.6 ppg).

So the two teams you cited succeeded in 2008 in part because of a dominant running game that wasn't dependent on just one player, and defensive units that ranked within the top eight of NFL teams in the two most important (IMO) categories.

That begs the question, will the Rams be able to follow this formula?

St. Louis' defense hasn't ranked above the 20s in either of those two defensive categories since 2004. Only once since 2001 has the Rams' running game ranked above the 20s; that was in 2006, but even Steven Jackson's big year could only push the Rams to 17th in the league in rushing yards.

It sounds to me as if Steve Spagnuolo is trying to reshape this team using the kind of blueprint that the New York Giants are using. Strong running game, tough defensive play. In that kind of grand scheme of things, a solid yet unspectacular receiving corps may not be a huge weakness... as long as your running game and defense carry the weight.

The problem is that the Rams haven't been able to find that second piece of the 1-2 punch at running back, and their defense hasn't been anything to write home about in years. I hope Spagnuolo can change both of those things, and if/when he does, then perhaps not having the greatest or most experienced receivers won't be as big of a deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast