Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Is the media trying to tear down Torry Holt?

I'm somewhat baffled by what the media thinks is headline-worthy these days.

Torry Holt says that, when his contract is over, and he is 34 (near the end of the road for any WR), he wouldn't mind playing with his brother in his home state.

Is this really a big deal? Well, the local media has made it a headline, prompting the national media to pick up the story.

Must have been a slow news day.

Now, the media has turned a passing comment by Holt about Donnie Avery into a new headline. Let me make sure I'm clear... Holt, after a few days of Spring mini-camp, has not seen enough of Avery to form an impression.

Again... is this really a big deal? Not to me. And yet, the media has made it a headline and, in my opinion, painted Holt as gruff and unwelcoming of the rookie.

Another slow news day, I guess.

Torry Holt's comments may be the result of bitterness over the departure of Bruce. They may be entirely innocuous, taken out of context and blown out of proportion. In September on game day, though, nobody will care about this stuff.

Still, I can't help but wonder why the media seems to be focusing on perceived negative comments by a guy who, for nearly a decade, has been one of the most positive personalities on the team.

Maybe Torry should just stop talking to the press entirely.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Is the media trying to tear down Torry Holt?

Good post AV

Negative comments sell, for every DUI that we hear about, there are many players do positive things we never hear about.

I live in LA, and I thought Kobe was gone for sure. With Holt he is use to winning and the last few years have been rough. Now he is one of the last guys still here from the show. IMO he just wants to win, if we win he will be a Ram if we stink in two years he's gone. IMO
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-15-2008 at 02:44 PM.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Holt should have kept is mouth shut as well. He gave them the fuel as far as I am concerned.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I think Holt has the right to finish his career wherever he wants, obviously we all want him to retire as a Ram, but once his contract is up he is free to go where he feels most comfortable.

Why should we expect players to be loyal when teams cut players every year? The fact is the NFL is a business, Torry's business is his own, and i think he has earned enough respect that Rams' media should lay off decisions he will make in two years.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Torry's still a big name guy in St Louis .. When big name guys make comments on the record, it isn't out of the ordinary for those "comments" to appear in print. His comments don't amount to anything as far as I'm concerned. Hey .. it's the off-season, fans are hungry for just about any football talk, so the PD is obliging. After the first week of camp concludes, we'll likely have forgotten all about this ..

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It's not that guys. Trust me, I'm going to school for Television Productions but am forced to take Journalism classes.

You want the audience to read your article and buy the paper. You would go out of the way, bend the facts a tad bit, and do your job. Thats the way the media is. During the war in Iraq, you don't really hear about anything good coming out of the war, only who blew what up and how many people have died.

The fact that Holt has said that Avery has shown him nothing too impressing is probably a true statement. However, the fact that the media keeps throwing it out there, makes it seem like Holt doesn't like Avery. That probably isn't the issue at all. He's a rookie and he's going to have to work his way up.

The media is trying to tear everything down, not just Holt. However its very unfortunate that our player is the one being torn down.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I like torry holt, but to me (and this is just personal), he will never reach the pantheon of my all time favorite rams.

A couple of points.

First, he never should have taken his helmet off when he ran out of the tunnel for sb 36. Flashy, showy and bad karma.
    Second, he should have made the catch in the carolina playoff game.
    Third, especially early in his career, he got a lot of publicity, credit and statistics accumulated because he had ike on the other side.

In short, i admit that i am such an enormous isaac bruce fan that i have always had just a twinge of resentment for holt getting so much publicity, statistics and admoration while bruce has toiled in obscurity because he kept a lower profile.

I would have been open minded to trading him this year or next year at the latest as i dont believe he is a true number one receiver anymore. Objectively, he is no longer fast and is just an outstanding possession receiver. I would rather have isaac bruce at 3 million than torry holt at almost triple the price cap wise.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I like torry holt, but to me (and this is just personal), he will never reach the pantheon of my all time favorite rams.

A couple of points.

First, he never should have taken his helmet off when he ran out of the tunnel for sb 36. Flashy, showy and bad karma.
    Third, especially early in his career, he got a lot of publicity, credit and statistics accumulated because he had ike on the other side.

In short, i admit that i am such an enormous isaac bruce fan that i have always had just a twinge of resentment for holt getting so much publicity, statistics and admoration while bruce has toiled in obscurity because he kept a lower profile.

I would have been open minded to trading him this year or next year at the latest as i dont believe he is a true number one receiver anymore. Objectively, he is no longer fast and is just an outstanding possession receiver. I would rather have isaac bruce at 3 million than torry holt at almost triple the price cap wise.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    But see... you just made my point.

Absent the media over-emphasizing Holt's recent comments, we wouldn't even be talking about him right now. But here we are, bringing up old incidents that are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and scrutinizing an all time great Ram player.

Yodude is offline Registered User

like torry holt, but to me (and this is just personal), he will never reach the pantheon of my all time favorite rams.

A couple of points.

Great post. While I'm sure it will ruffle some feathers, your points are right on the mark.

I'd leave you rep points but I don't know how it works...can't find a rep button.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    But see... you just made my point.

Absent the media over-emphasizing Holt's recent comments, we wouldn't even be talking about him right now. But here we are, bringing up old incidents that are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and scrutinizing an all time great Ram player.
    AV makes a good point here. Just a week ago, how bad would one have been blasted for saying something like this?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Holt should have kept is mouth shut as well. He gave them the fuel as far as I am concerned.
    I agree. Holt knows the way things work and is equally culpable in creating a story that is going to come off as provocative every time during the month of May.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I've always liked Torry. He has always walked the thin line between being outgoing and quotable and yet not controversial. He's worked hard at his craft and his numbers bear that out. Now, it seems that the media are trying to make much out of little. I am sure Torry is hurt a bit losing Ike. The two have fed off each other pretty well over the years and now Holt has no protection so to speak. It doesn't surprise me that Holt's comments may sound a bit less ebullient than normal given the recent turn of events, his overall health (knee), and the prospect of his time in St. Louis coming to an end. But on the other hand, I don't think Holt will give any less of himself or be any less of a teammate than he has been in the past. It's too bad sports writers can't keep this all in perspective.

I dont hold it against Holt if he wants to finish his career somewhere else. That is his decision.

I still contend that the missed passed in the fourth quarter of the carolina player game is not irrelevent in the grand scheme of things, at least not to me. Self proclaimed "Big Game" should make that catch with the season on the line.

There has never been a wide receiver who played his entire career under overall better circumstances in terms of compiling stats.

I will concede that holt made one of the greatest plays/catches in rams history at the end of the seattle game. That play was the catch of the year, but of course the defense blew it and we lost anyway.

Personally, i just dont think holt has been as good a receiver over the course of his career as bruce and yet holt is talked of as a hall of famer and bruce is considered marginal and to me, that is publicity, rather than production related. All statistics are not the same.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I think it is fair to say Holt would not be the receiver he is today without Bruce. I can't agree with your opinion that Holt is flashy or showy.

I think it depends on who you compare him to. Isaac? Sure, a lot more outgoing than Bruce. Chad Johnson or TO? Holt is barely a blip compared to their antics.

Torry has never demanded to be traded or anything like that. I believe Isaac Bruce belongs in the Hall of Fame just as much if not more than Torry Holt. I can't blame Holt for being more outgoing than Bruce, nearly ever single other NFL wide receiver is as well.

c Mob, that is a very fair point, and explains why i started my original post by saying that i like holt, always have. My point is that i just dont love him the way i do bruce, faulk, youngblood and gabriel. Compared to the T Owens' of the world, he has been a prince. ITs only relative to Ike. Please post more stuff cmob, i like your style. New blood around here is a very good thing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast