Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IsaacBruceFan80 is offline Registered User

Mel Kiper Grades Rams...

From ESPN's Mel Kiper

I like some things the Rams did -- like taking CB Tye Hill -- but they gambled on defensive tackle Claude Wroten in the third round. They got two very good tight ends in Joe Klopfenstein and Dominique Byrd, although Byrd dropped because of concerns about his knees. Jon Alston is a fast outside linebacker while ILB Tim McGarigle will help out on special teams

RAMS GRADE---C+

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Mel Kiper Grades Rams...

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacBruceFan80
    From ESPN's Mel Kiper

I like some things the Rams did -- like taking CB Tye Hill -- but they gambled on defensive tackle Claude Wroten in the third round. They got two very good tight ends in Joe Klopfenstein and Dominique Byrd, although Byrd dropped because of concerns about his knees. Jon Alston is a fast outside linebacker while ILB Tim McGarigle will help out on special teams

RAMS GRADE---C+
    i think we should be graded higher than a C+,i like we did with this draft including the trade of manu and as far as wroten being a gamble, the whole draft is a gamble,just ask the texans.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Its only because we didn't take Greenway in Round 1 like he said.
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Mel will say that the Broncos taking Cutler is a genius move when it was an idiotic one in my opinion, I don't care what he says, and the Rams will prove him wrong on the field next season. YOU HEAR ME MEL!? lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I like some things the Rams did -- like taking CB Tye Hill -- but they gambled on defensive tackle Claude Wroten in the third round.
    That's just silly, Mel. We took at #15 the same guy they would have taken at #11. So the #68 pick was a freebie. And to take a chance on a 1st round talent with character issues with that pick is not a gamble......it was a free roll of the dice if you think about it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Gee guys, why are you railing about Mel? He's one of the most overrated "magic ball" prognosticators in the broadcasting field. I cannot call him an analyst, he doesn't deserve the honor.

Who cares anything about what a dufus says?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, Mel has some points. Wroten isn't a model citizen after flunking two urinalysis and arrested for potential to distribute marijuana.

Bryd isn't the easiest athlete to deal with either and his knee injuries makes him somewhat suspect. Arnold isn't sure if he's a LB or a DB for the NFL. The first two picks are solid but nothing to jump up and down about.

Varg, in Denver's defense, they had to have a QB behind Plummer and Cutler is a big time prospect. There was nothing idiotic about the Denver selection.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

its only his opinion pete prisco on cbs sportsline gave us an A

St. Louis Rams
    Best pick: They traded down in the first round and still landed the corner they wanted to get in Tye Hill. That's good drafting.

Worst pick: Using a third-round pick on defensive tackle Claude Wroten is a risky move considering all the character flaws.

Overall grade: A. They drafted a lot of good football players. Hill will start, as will either Joe Klopfenstein or Dominique Byrd at tight end.
    go figure

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Wroten and Byrd are great gambles for two simple reasons:

1. Both players have demonstrated the ability to play at a very high level; and

2. The Rams gave up virtually nothing to get them (to be precise, they essentially gave up Brandon Manumaleuna and a #6 pick to get them).

Now, I'm no investment guru, but it seems to me that if you can obtain the potential for high reward at almost no risk, that's good drafting.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Let's also remember that Scott Linehan checked into the background of Claude Wroten with people close to the situation, with help from Nick Saban (former LSU head coach).

I don't think we make this pick if Wroten hasn't proven that he's turned his life around.

Sounds like a good move to me.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, Mel has some points. Wroten isn't a model citizen after flunking two urinalysis and arrested for potential to distribute marijuana.
    But we gave up literally nothing to get him. It seems to me if a team is going to gamble, it might as well be on a free pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Everyone, don't get me wrong. I was ESTATIC on this pick. Ask Nick. I'm just saying I can see the reasoning behind Kiper.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

that grade isn't good.......A-

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I disagree with the grade, and I think the whole Wroten affair got blown out of proportion. The knocks on Byrd are somewhat concerning, though. I mean Wroten got caught with pot in the offseason without drug issues ever seeming to have affected his performance, and he was generally commended by his coaches.

Byrd got sidelined because of a broken jaw sustained in a fight with a teammate over a Madden video game. Another time, Pete Carroll benched him for the game for unsportsmanlike conduct after Byrd threw the ball at another player. Then you add in concerns about his knee and so-so numbers on the field (only 306 yards in 2004 and 384 in 2005) and I can see why he would be considered a gamble. If you look at the big picture, Byrd for Manu and a sixth looks pretty good. If you look at the move apart from the Manu trade, moving up to take him in the third does look like a gamble.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Wroten's parents, particularly his father, has stepped in regarding the weed issue, and he seems repentant about it. As far as Byrd....he'll learn he's not the big man on campus anymore soon enough, plus his first paycheck will let him know exactly what he'll be giving up if he misbehaves. There are a few that never learn and lose their career, but most come around. Let's hope he's the latter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast