RamWraith is offline Registered User

Memo to Steven Jackson

By Bernie Miklasz
    09/18/2007

I believe Rams RB Steven Jackson has a good heart, and that he wants to win. I also respect that he wants the ball in his hands with a game on the line. The great competitors always want to make the difference when it matters most.

That said, Jackson shouldn’t be showing up his head coach, Scott Linehan, by screaming at the boss on the sideline late in the game, as S.Jax did Sunday with the Rams going down to the *****.

Though Jackson was diplomatic in his comments the day after the 17-16 loss to San Francisco, he clearly was irate on Sunday afternoon when the Rams blew the chance to win.

Jackson apparently wants the ball more often in meaningful situations. He doesn’t want to removed from a game when it can still be a win. I can respect that.

But here’s the deal, delivered with some straight talk:

Jackson is no victim here. He can play much better than he has, so he shouldn’t be fuming at others.

Jackson lost two critical fumbles in the opening loss to Carolina. And against the Niners, Jackson did a terrible job on his blitz pickups, and was directly responsible for multiple body blows absorbed by QB Marc Bulger.

Moreover, Jackson wasn’t sharp with his run reads. He missed a few excellent chances for cutback runs. And he did the Peter Pan too often, fluttering and floating instead of powering into the hole.

Jackson is a huge talent. I also think he’s a good dude. He is capable of greatness. But that is earned. So is the respect that Jackson craves.

The NFL isn’t a Nike commercial. In the real game, backs have to make blocks and run hard and take care of business on the field.

And before hollering at the coach over the job he’s doing, make sure that you’re doing your own job to the best of your ability.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Memo to Steven Jackson

Never mind....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

If Steven Jackson is going to reach his goal of 2500 total yards he better start cooking.

After 2 games he has 157 total yards.:x

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    That said, Jackson shouldn’t be showing up his head coach, Scott Linehan, by screaming at the boss on the sideline late in the game, as S.Jax did Sunday with the Rams going down to the *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Linehan
    "I don't know if he was yelling at me," Linehan said. "I didn't take it that way. I honestly didn't. This is news to me. Sometimes players get emotional. I understand that part. You've just got to let it roll off your back. I don't have any issue at all with Steven. Sometimes he gets a little animated because he's a competitor. He didn't say anything to me that I heard."
    Hmm. Memo to Bernie, make sure you have your facts straight before you make an emphatic statement based on speculation. Where was he sitting when he saw all this take place??

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Bernie? Check facts? Surely you jest. After all, he's a "columnist," not a "journalist."

He really has his panties in a bunch over the Nike Ad, though. What's that, the fifth time he's mentioned that in print?

I like the Nike Ad. Its good to see the Rams get some national exposure like that. Maybe it will make the team a little more attractive for free agents next year. Maybe it will get fans excited so the team has more sellouts. I certainly don't think it has anything to do with Jackson's performance on the field.

supachump is offline Registered User

Despite Bernie (perhaps) jumping to conclusions. I happen to agree. Jackson hasn't been sharp these first two games. I noticed a few blown blocks and I'm sure when I watch the tape again, I'll notice more. Hopefully he will get back on track soon.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

To say that Jackson's performance has been sub-par thus far is to merely state the obvious.

However, I fail to see the connection between Jackson's performance and the Nike Ad.

Rambos is offline Registered User

To say that Jackson's performance has been sub-par thus far is to merely state the obvious.
    I would say it has more to do with the O line. I want the guy in the Nike Ad, he looks really good.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-18-2007 at 10:45 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

MEMO TO BERNIE -- Visit / read...

ClanRam.com/forums (RamTalk)

...THEN write your articles. :bash:

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I can't really bring myself to endorse an article by Bernie, although this one seems a little less egocentric than his normal fare.

However, if you talk the talk you have to walk the walk and Jackson, as usual, has done a lot of talking.

Time to step it up.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I did think Jackson missed some blocks initially but after watching it again I think it wasnt really his fault. If you watch Jackson, they are taught to take the inside rusher first then the outside so he was doing that. The problem was while he went for the inside rusher the outside blitzer came late and Jackson was running back to try and stop them. Not sure he missed assignments, he did what he was taught. The fastest track to the qb is the inside. This is where he went every time and still got hands on the outside blitzer to slow them several times. Bernie can shove it, Jackson can blast the coaching staff because if you want to see him perform better maybe they should give him the rock more. We should be wearing teams down with him, instead there are times I forget he is in the game because we are too busy doing end arounds and pump fakes and then handing it off. Just ram the balldown their throats.
    Just Fix It