Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Message Board Fans Are A Different Breed

I think I finally have come to terms with an inescapable truth: Message Board fans are a different breed from the average fans.

Its not entirely a bad thing. MBFs are generally loyal, and always passionate when it comes to their team. But, unlike general fans, MBFs have another characteristic - they crave controversy.

Jason's recent Bulger thread is a perfect example. A room full of general fans would have no trouble discussing Marc Bulger's progress as a QB and solid play this year. MBFs, on the other hand, have little desire to discuss such a positive topic.

MBFs would rather...

* Beat the Kurt Warner topic to death
    * Ridicule Mike Martz and call for his dismissal
    * Rip players who get injured or fight for more money
    * Bash the front office for draft choices that don't pan out

Heck, we have MBFs here who routinely pick the Rams to lose each game, rip the most productive players on the team for not being perfect, hang out in the chat room on game day so they can criticize the players they don't like in "real time," and place signature quotes on each post that reflect negative feelings toward the team or specific individuals.

So where does that leave someone like me, the proverbial optimist?

In a sense, I guess I fit in because I thrive on slapping down those who wear their Ram colors while simultaneously tearing down the team. In a sense, the board needs people like me to combat the naysayers - otherwise their proclamations would yield as few responses as posts about undeniable positive aspects of the team now yield.

The question is.... do I... should I (and others like myself) wish to take this role?

I have to say, at times it grows tiresome. Sometimes, I wish I could just preach to a choir, rather than feeling like I'm constantly having to defend my optimistic outlook. I suspect that there are a few posters who, in the past, have been active, but now rarely post because they have experienced the same fatigue.

The only solution I see to this is to implore the MBFs to try to achieve some balance. Its fine to criticize problems, but try to praise that which is deserving. Its fine to cheer and hold out hope, but don't stray too far from realism that you can't express concerns as well.

Just my thoughts.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Message Board Fans Are A Different Breed

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I suspect that there are a few posters who, in the past, have been active, but now rarely post because they have experienced the same fatigue.
    Ahh. The presumptiveness of it all. Equally as true as it may be that the "fatigue" of some people may be attributed to what you say, it is equally true that some people may be fatigued by the incessant righteousness inherent in someone thinking they have been called to "slap people down". Didn't realize there was a need to slap anyone around. Good to know though. I'll be sure to be on the lookout for any wayward statements by me that would lead anyone to think I deserve a slap down.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

That's an interesting post AV. I shall now tear it down.
    I've never really thought of myself as a message board fan, but rather a fan of the greatest team in sports history.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

thoey is offline Registered User

See, I don't see it that way. I see this as the age of the more informed fan. We can live, eat, breath, sleep sports news 24 hours a day now. To one point that makes us more knowledgable fans, but maybe more opinionated would be a better way describe it. And how you interpret that knowledge may be different than how I do. Human nature.

A lot of us are on this forum several hours a day, and asking us all to have the same opinion or attitude is ridiculous. The day that all my thoughts and opinions are the same as another on this board, I'll lose interest and leave. I'll agree with a poster one time, but then the next I don't see it that way and will state so. Human nature.

And don't think it is limited to here. I am not here to make anyone's life miserable on the board. When I spend Sundays with my buds and my Bud Lights, we sit around and talk about our teams, or that play, or the game that is on. We rarely agree 100% on anything, and we can get pretty heated explaining why. Human nature.

I have to say, at times it grows tiresome. Sometimes, I wish I could just preach to a choir, rather than feeling like I'm constantly having to defend my optimistic outlook. I suspect that there are a few posters who, in the past, have been active, but now rarely post because they have experienced the same fatigue.
    Just as I suspect that there are those that rarely post now due to the fatigue they got from battling the optimists.

Human nature.
    This space for rent...

I'm not saying everyone has to agree. I agree that it would be boring if everyone had the same position.

But things seem to slide way too far to the other extreme. There are some who seem to only get interested in discussing the team if the discussion involves controvery and negativity. Surely, that's not all we're about.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

ummm, MBF's just like to talk football. Those who don't, don't go to Message Boards.

So what you are getting is a very opinionated group. Some see the glass half full, some see it half empty.

Some like constructive critisism. Some don't like critisism. Some like to complain about the "team is going nowhere" Some like to express that the team is looking better and could "go all the way".

It's your perception that these are "naysayers" and others are "tearing down the team".

But it's a mixed bag of nuts, and we all express our Passion for these Rams in different ways, and for different reasons.

You probably are the minority in the positive outlook because only 1 team gets to win the SB each year, and most NFL fans know that it's probably not going to be THEIR team this year, and they are quick to point out the reasons why.

Marc is playing great, but perhaps hasn't earned the full trust of Ram fans yet as we're barely 1 game above 500 and he will really prove himself if he can take this team into the playoffs and play well there, since for some, last years performance in the playoffs was sub-par.

Plus....HE's SATAN!!!! (I love using that one!)

...just my thoughts.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think HUbison hit it on the head in the other thread. It's generally easier to discuss something when there are alternate points of view. When it comes to something like Marc Bulger this season, there's not much room to debate - he's played very well. Not much more to it than that.

Still, I think it's disappointing that some of the people who were so loud and passionate about why they weren't impressed by him in 2003 haven't been as loud and passionate about why he's been impressive in 2004.

But it's probably the nature of the beast. Same reason there's more discussion when we lose rather than when we win. You can examine and scrutinize a loss for days, but when your team gets the job done, there's only so much you can talk about because, well, they did it right.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

adarian_three is offline Registered User

I prefer to slap myself down.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_three
    I prefer to slap myself down.
    A3, something about your monkey picture and the word "slap" just is wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    But it's probably the nature of the beast. Same reason there's more discussion when we lose rather than when we win. You can examine and scrutinize a loss for days, but when your team gets the job done, there's only so much you can talk about because, well, they did it right.
    As is noted by the silliness this Thursday. Come on Sunday. Give us something to talk about...

:tongue:
    This space for rent...

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

I see no difference in MBf fans and regualr Fans. Especially since they are both fan's. I know lots of people that look at problems with their team. On and off the message boards. I think it is strange how people rip on Holt, Marshall, and Bulger. How fans when we have big games immediatly post on the negatives instead of the positives. Lets face it a real fan and a rational person do not always go hand in hand. The fan side of me causes me to only be positive and a typical fanatic but the rational side has no problem saying hey "we really need to fix our defence." or "the o-line needs to start stepping up every game." It is when we make these comments that really come into play. After the Rams came back by 17 points in under 5 minutes to eventually win in overtime vs a divisional rival people were negative, now that is ridiculous. Now wed after the game if you were to question how the Rams got in the position to have to come back that would be ok. Asking legitimate questions, having problem's with an inconsistant coach, not being afraid to say the defence worries you, these are all things a rational fan should think about. You think I was Rah RAh Rams the year Georgia took them away from us So CAl Rams brethren? There is gonna be times when even the most die hard fan gets upset with their team and decisions that are affecting the win loss ratio. I like the MSB's for usually I get a rational judment rather then just a hot headed idiot spouting why he is a doubter. There is exceptions to that rule on this board but I would say the smart, eduacated, rational football fans prevail on this board.

BTW, anyone that ever doubted that you are a lawyer AV just needs to read the post that started this thread and they will be a beleiver.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -11-18-2004 at 05:34 PM.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

BTW, anyone that ever doubted that you are a lawyer AV just needs to read the post that started this thread and they will be a beleiver.
    Well, I have certainly caused many to assert objections.

Well, I have certainly caused many to assert objections.
    lol
    Having you around is great AV I will tell you that much. You consistantly make me laugh and yet you can be rather insightful as well.

Another quick point about the message boards. Alot of people in the non internet world are quiet and shy these boards give them a chance to really let it out.

P.S. When not on a message board you cant use LOL, LMAO, ROFL, WTF, BTW, and there is no smilies. :redface: I love that smiley the best it looks like an intelectually challenged rube.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Thanks LRFLT.

Actually, when I walk around, I carry a box of cards with smilies on them and I hold them up as appropriate during conversation.

Actually, when I walk around, I carry a box of cards with smilies on them and I hold them up as appropriate during conversation.
    I am gonna try that at work tonight that will be fun.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Interesting post Av!!

The whole reason why I began seeking out message boards was for informatio,n that I so much lacked. Now, I am not sure where I stand. It has become much more than that. It is almost a quest or adventure to see what is going to happen next.

A long time ago Dez told me something that has always stuck in my head. Others looking from the outside in to our little community, see this as a Soap Opera. Each day something is new, and how will all the different personalities interrupt the new information and how will each of them deal with it.

I just make a choice. To look at things as positive as I can and to remember the 90's. I got to see 3 Super Bowls in my life, a world championship team and arguably one of the best teams ever assembled. No matter what happens from here on out I will be a full-filled man. Life is too short to get bent out of shape over a coach that is trying to do the best possible job he can. Or a quarterback that is still young and learning the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast