The troubling connection of Jeff Fisher to the Rams

By Armando Salguero
The Miami Herald Blog
January 5, 2012

When a Miami Herald reporter called agent Marvin Demoff's home Tuesday, he was told by Demoff's wife that her husband is in St. Louis.

Ghhhhhrrrreeeeeaaaaaatttt!

St. Louis is where Kevin Demoff works as the Rams chief operating officer. St. Louis is where Kevin Demoff will have an opportunity to visit with his father, Marvin Demoff. Marvin Demoff represents Jeff Fisher. St. Louis is where Fisher is scheduled to interview for the head coach vacancy between now and Friday.

I am not saying the fact the Rams are currently run by a Demoff and Fisher is represented by a Demoff means Fisher is a slam dunk in St. Louis. I'm certain Fisher, who basically has a choice where he will coach in 2012, will make his decision based on a handful of critical factors important to him.

But I am saying that St. Louis undoubtedly has an advantage in the chase for Demoff. To deny that is to look past obvious truths and the undeniable connections driving the situation.

And that has to make any Dolphins fan hoping the team hires Fisher a bit uncomfortable. Fisher has rock solid connections that can point him to St. Louis. He has no connections of similar strength in Miami.

The elder Demoff is obviously a professional and will work toward serving his client as best he can. The younger Demoff is similarly going to work on his team's behalf. But who are we kidding here? Fisher is going to to St. Louis pretty much knowing the pictch and situation he's about to face.

Interestingly, the Kevin Demoff denied this is the case during his availability on Monday.

"Everybody assumes that because my father represents Jeff Fisher, there's a natural fit," the younger Demoff said. "His job is to represent Jeff Fisher; our job is to find the right head coach for the Rams, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that because I know someone who happens to know Jeff well, that I know Jeff well, that Jeff's going to be our head coach.

"I know that makes for great conjecture, great internet fodder...but it's completely unfounded," Demoff said.

OK, let me put it another way then:

If Kevin Demoff knows his team wants Fisher enough to interview him first in this process and doesn't use whatever advantage he has at his disposal -- his father's ties to Fisher -- then he's pulling punches. Simple as that.

And I cannot say in 21 years of covering the NFL I've heard of an instance when a Demoff pulled a punch.