Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HornIt is offline Registered User

Michael Lombardi: Rams down to 3

And his list doesn't include Haslett, so if he knows what he's talking about, Haslett is out:

"I hear that the Rams are down to only three candidates Frazier, Garrett and Steve Spagnuolo of the Giants. Just those three have a chance to get the job. "

The National Football Post | Notes From Lombardi

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: Michael Lombardi: Rams down to 3

GOOO Frazier. For some reason I feel he could be a great coach.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I just hope that we do not take Garrett!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    GOOO Frazier. For some reason I feel he could be a great coach.
    I'm starting to lean towards Frazier myself. If we can't get Ryan, I'm all for Frazier.

I guess nobody wants to hear...

Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!

But what a lot of people would like to hear instead is...

Garrett goes!

If what Lombardi hears is accurate, then I'm happy. I'll be happy with any of the three of those guys, though I do prefer Spags and Frazier.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Booo Garrett. There's a very good reason why he went from golden child of Jerry Jones to almost being shoved out there to interview. He had a very good team last year and now when they actually ran into issues, someone other than Jones has to take the blame. And Garrett is certainly deserving of some blame.

Like it was said above, if we can't get Ryan, I very much want Frazier.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Booo Garrett. There's a very good reason why he went from golden child of Jerry Jones to almost being shoved out there to interview. He had a very good team last year and now when they actually ran into issues, someone other than Jones has to take the blame. And Garrett is certainly deserving of some blame.

Like it was said above, if we can't get Ryan, I very much want Frazier.
    Exactly Teke....

Not to mention we don't need another OC running our team!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Balzer is saying this is a rumor and that Ryan is still a candidate.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

There will be a lot of smokescreens out there. Devaney won't want the agents for any of these guys to think they are in control of the negotiations, so it's just like the draft, we won't know until we know. However in deference to Jim Haslett, he likely feels the gentlemanly thing to do is let him loose to get the Green Bay job or a coordinator's job elsewhere.

I suspect this will be resolved by Friday. We are on a road towards big changes with this franchise so I hope he makes the right choice. As said on another thread this is a chance to move away from the Georgia, Shaw and Zygmunt era and make this a first-class franchise. And I haven't even begun to mention the players who are likely to depart.

Go Rams!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    And his list doesn't include Haslett, so if he knows what he's talking about, Haslett is out:

"I hear that the Rams are down to only three candidates Frazier, Garrett and Steve Spagnuolo of the Giants. Just those three have a chance to get the job. "

The National Football Post | Notes From Lombardi
    The rams might want Spagnuolo but John Clayton don't believe that will happen looks like Frazier
    :ramlogo:

jdh008 is offline Registered User

Coming off this past season, I don't really see how a team could sell Jason Garrett as their new coach. Not only was the product on the field not very good, he put himself in the middle of the Witten vs. the wide receivers feud. Now the Cowboys are probably looking for any reason to show him the door.

Quote Originally Posted by jdh008 View Post
    Coming off this past season, I don't really see how a team could sell Jason Garrett as their new coach. Not only was the product on the field not very good, he put himself in the middle of the Witten vs. the wide receivers feud. Now the Cowboys are probably looking for any reason to show him the door.
    As I've pointed out before, the Cowboys offense finished ranked 13th in the NFL this season despite the issues they had. So they weren't a total disaster and certainly weren't at all when Brad Johnson wasn't playing, save the Eagles game. Their defense was a major problem through much of the season which is why Wade Phillips took back control of calling the defensive signals.

I don't think that one slightly better than average season is enough to disqualify a guy as a lousy Head Coaching candidate. Heck, a large number of fans were just fine with bringing Haslett back and the Rams defense has never been anywhere close to even average with him there.

A lot of smart people in the NFL obviously think a lot of Garrett. He was offered both the Ravens and Falcons jobs last season and turned them down. This year the Broncos thought a lot of him and the Lions and Rams have also considered him seriously. That's a lot of interest from a lot of teams in a guy who some are describing as an awful choice.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Its not that we don't need another OC coaching the team, it's that we need a leader to coach the team, and if there's anything that I can say about Garrett, he's not a leader. If he was a leader, he'd have gotten a start at QB somewhere, somehow. If he was a leader, he'd have handled the whole situation with TO and Romo/Witten better. If he was a leader, or actually, if he was competant at his job, he'd have gotten Williams involved in the offense. Or you know, he would have actually used Marion Barber to run the ball down people's throats and told TO to shut up and accept winning.

He actually started 9 games in his career as an NFL QB. Was 6-3 as a starter.

Aren't there a lot of good HC's out there that never even made it to the NFL as a player? I don't see how making it but being a backup is a strike against you as a coach.

Barber was hurt.

The handling T.O. thing again. He's in good company.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think lombardi is perhaps basing his cutdown on the fact that Haz interviewed for DC @ GB this week & that Ryan won't be available till too late. I think the latter makes more sense than the former. The timing of Haz's interview seems likely to be an agent ploy to put pressure on The Rams to not let him slip away.McCarthy is a buddy so he may have played along.

As for Garrett, Lombardi said on Inside The NFL this week that Garrett wants TO gone or he goes so he may be toying with The Rams as a bargaining chip/pressure in the same way as Haz.

BTW, I think Wade Phillips did a masterful job of taking credit for the D playing a tad better to end the season but getting no blame as HC for the whole team/organization making asses of themselves.

My worst case scenario; Garrett gets an offer from The Rams, turns it down, and we have to throw money at Haz to stay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast