Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ManofGod is offline Registered User

Micheal Crabtree...

I've been wanting to run this by you guys since 5:00am this morning(up studying for a final exam for grad school), but I want to run a idea by you guys.

I believe in my heart that we should pick either Michael Oher or Andre Smith with our first round pick (if the season ended today we'd pick #4, and I don't see us winning another game this year). Now the mock drafts I've seen has both guys gone by the time we are on the board, and some has us taking: OT, Jason Smith, Baylor (who some believe can step in and play OT from day one).

However there are a few other pics that have me thinking:
    1. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech(stud)
    2. Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma
    3. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, The Ohio State
    4. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest(solid)
    5. James Laurinaitis, LB Ohio State (people forget that he's the 2007 Butkis Award winner and not Mr. Maualuga, and Maualuga has been pushed around in the running game his year & that concerns me).
    6. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia(the "lightning" we need).
    7. Jeremy Macklin, WR, Missouri(stud)

Now to my point: the last time we drafted a WR high was when we picked Torry Holt, now there are certain WR's that are complete game changers. Guys I believe that Crabtree could change the game for us much as Torry did in 1999, he's big, he's fast, he has GREAT hands, and there are few times when you can draft a total game changer.

*Question: My question to you all is under what circumstances (team wise, not addressing if the guy is off the board) can you see us drafting Crabtree(or another of these players).

I look at things like this(just for discussion), we have :
    a. Jacob Bell isn't going anywhere, and he'll be fine overall.
    b.Cogs will be back, and could move to center(not sure if that's good or bad).
    c. John Greco is in line to move up, and should.
    d. Roy Schuening can play both OG and OT
    e. As crazy as this sounds, Adam has been doing well at OT this year. Same goes for Barton (minus the false starts), and he's a natural LT, we've never seen him at LT and shoot who knows dumb luck say's he would perform better at his natural position.
    f. Mark Setterstrom comes back next year...what if he can stay un injured this year?

If we move Cogs to center, let Setterstrom play center, (or get Matt Birk which would blow my mind), and plug in the rookies, then we might have something to work with. And we could then draft Crabtree in the first round (provided that he's still on the board).
    (**I especially wanna hear from Infiniti, Rock, AV, and Nick!)

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Micheal Crabtree...

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I've been wanting to run this by you guys since 5:00am this morning(up studying for a final exam for grad school), but I want to run a idea by you guys.

I believe in my heart that we should pick either Michael Oher or Andre Smith with our first round pick (if the season ended today we'd pick #4, and I don't see us winning another game this year). Now the mock drafts I've seen has both guys gone by the time we are on the board, and some has us taking: OT, Jason Smith, Baylor (who some believe can step in and play OT from day one).

However there are a few other pics that have me thinking:
    1. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech(stud)
    2. Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma
    3. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, The Ohio State
    4. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest(solid)
    5. James Laurinaitis, LB Ohio State (people forget that he's the 2007 Butkis Award winner and not Mr. Maualuga, and Maualuga has been pushed around in the running game his year & that concerns me).
    6. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia(the "lightning" we need).
    7. Jeremy Macklin, WR, Missouri(stud)

Now to my point: the last time we drafted a WR high was when we picked Torry Holt, now there are certain WR's that are complete game changers. Guys I believe that Crabtree could change the game for us much as Torry did in 1999, he's big, he's fast, he has GREAT hands, and there are few times when you can draft a total game changer.

*Question: My question to you all is under what circumstances (team wise, not addressing if the guy is off the board) can you see us drafting Crabtree(or another of these players).

I look at things like this(just for discussion), we have :
    a. Jacob Bell isn't going anywhere, and he'll be fine overall.
    b.Cogs will be back, and could move to center(not sure if that's good or bad).
    c. John Greco is in line to move up, and should.
    d. Roy Schuening can play both OG and OT
    e. As crazy as this sounds, Adam has been doing well at OT this year. Same goes for Barton (minus the false starts), and he's a natural LT, we've never seen him at LT and shoot who knows dumb luck say's he would perform better at his natural position.
    f. Mark Setterstrom comes back next year...what if he can stay un injured this year?

If we move Cogs to center, let Setterstrom play center, (or get Matt Birk which would blow my mind), and plug in the rookies, then we might have something to work with. And we could then draft Crabtree in the first round (provided that he's still on the board).
    (**I especially wanna hear from Infiniti, Rock, AV, and Nick!)
    OK, first things first (a public service message from parents everywhere). If you're puting this much thought into the Rams, and a post about NEXT YEARS DRAFT, you are definately NOT STUDYING. GO HIT THE BOOKS!!! Nothing will change before your finals. Ok, public service message completed.

My opinion is that you had it right with drafting linemen. Skill players will be wasted (in my opinion) unless the lines are strong. As I've posted elsewhere, a Tackle on either side of the ball would make me happy.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

As long as Smith and Oher are off the board, I wouldn't mind drafting Crabtree one bit. But I still think the o line needs to be addressed other than just moving the same crappy players we have to other positions. Though I would love it if Barron could step up and be our LT, I just havent seen anything that proves he could(especially last year when he played LT) And there must be a reason our rookies havent played, perhaps they can't block our d line in practice- and if they can't do that then they won't be able to block anyone.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

While Crabtree is an outstanding prospect, we have far more pressing needs than a WR: even if we trade Holt, Avery, Burton, Looker and even Stanley provide us with plenty of options. Besides, there's no point in acquiring a top-class WR if the quarterback will never get the ball to him.

If all of the three elite LT prospects are off the board by the time we pick I'd address the defence, either with a middle linebacker or a cornerback.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    OK, first things first (a public service message from parents everywhere). If you're puting this much thought into the Rams, and a post about NEXT YEARS DRAFT, you are definately NOT STUDYING. GO HIT THE BOOKS!!! Nothing will change before your finals. Ok, public service message completed.

My opinion is that you had it right with drafting linemen. Skill players will be wasted (in my opinion) unless the lines are strong. As I've posted elsewhere, a Tackle on either side of the ball would make me happy.
    (lol) I didn't post this until I finished studying I needed a release.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams drafting Crabtree would be like a homeless person buying a jetski.

Let's deal with necessities before luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    As long as Smith and Oher are off the board, I wouldn't mind drafting Crabtree one bit. But I still think the o line needs to be addressed other than just moving the same crappy players we have to other positions. Though I would love it if Barron could step up and be our LT, I just havent seen anything that proves he could(especially last year when he played LT) And there must be a reason our rookies havent played, perhaps they can't block our d line in practice- and if they can't do that then they won't be able to block anyone.
    Shoot, we could even toy around with moving him to guard, but the issue here is he hasn't been as bad as some on our line outside of the false starts

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    While Crabtree is an outstanding prospect, we have far more pressing needs than a WR: even if we trade Holt, Avery, Burton, Looker and even Stanley provide us with plenty of options. Besides, there's no point in acquiring a top-class WR if the quarterback will never get the ball to him.

If all of the three elite LT prospects are off the board by the time we pick I'd address the defence, either with a middle linebacker or a cornerback.
    Burton right now at best is a slot, we still need (provided that Torry is gone) someone to play opposite Avery. I doubt we'll bring Bennett back.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -11-18-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Rams drafting Crabtree would be like a homeless person buying a jetski.

Let's deal with necessities before luxuries.
    Come on AV play nice, a homeless person could not afford a jetski(lol), and when we drafted Torry in 1999, the team wasn't picked to win it all, but had many of the same issues as they do now. But the issue here is the circumstances that would permit said move, and any of the other guys that could possibly be tempting if the tackles we covet are gone.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

.... we still need (provided that Torry is gone) someone to play opposite Avery.
    Again, there's no point in having two excellent wide receivers if the QB has no chance of getting the ball to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Again, there's no point in having two excellent wide receivers if the QB has no chance of getting the ball to them.
    Understood, which is why we (using the current options I provided) I'm asking what would perpetuate this move.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I would love the idea of having Crabtree! I could watch him play all day, he has just ALL the tools! But when a bad team takes the sexy pick of the wideout early in the draft with other needs, I just can't help but think of the Lions... which is a scary thought. Before I have a final opinion about this though, I want to see Greco and Schuning play and see what they are capable of. And does anybody know Crabtrees specs, like height weight speed?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Right now, we're slotted to pick fifth overall.

If the top two offensive tackles (Smith, Oher) are gone, then I think Crabtree should have about as much chance of being our pick as anyone else. The guy is a beast on the field. He reminds me in a lot of ways of Larry Fitzgerald with his ability to go up and get a pass. Great getting YAC, which we need. Would make for a nice compliment opposite of Avery.

You have to ask yourself what other options we have with that pick that represent better value? I don't believe that Maualuga or Laurinaitis are Top Five prospects after the juniors come out. Very rarely is a linebacker taken that high to begin with, and I just don't think those two are up there right now. I see them on the edge of the Top Ten at best, but maybe that's something they can improve upon with top notch offseasons.

The only other option I see for us at that spot from a value perspective - and obviously a lot can change between now and the draft when it comes to value - is a cornerback, namely Malcolm Jenkins. He has great size and is as close to a shutdown corner as you're going to get coming out of college IMO, plus Ohio State has a history of putting out quality cornerbacks. We certainly could use some more talent at cornerback... or even some talent to begin with.

The concern I have with the theory though is that you're depending on our current talent at offensive line to get the job done. This is our biggest problem as a fan base, and perhaps every fan base is like this. But we're not as talented as we think we are! This offensive line has been downright horrible for more than half a decade now. Barron's strength is supposed to be his pass pro, but he's allowed five sacks in ten games and is still after how many seasons is not mentally in the game yet. Incognito can open some holes in the running game but he's part of a weak pass blocking interior and shows a dangerous penchant for borderline dirty play. Like Barron, that hasn't improved during his time here.

We have some guys who may work out (Greco, Setterstrom) but we need to be realistic here. Barron needs competition and then needs the door after his final contract year in 2009. Incognito is an RFA after this season, I'm indifferent as to whether or not he's brought back. We need a solution at center that doesn't involve someone we already have on this roster. Free agent, rookie, combination of both... have to do something to fix that spot. Bell has the LG spot locked down for right now if only because of money. Pace is solid when he's on the field, but that's nothing you can count on. We need something long-term behind him rather than Adam Goldberg.

If we can't get one of the top offensive tackles with our first pick, then that does open up the opportunity for Crabtree or Jenkins or, if their stock improves or if we drop in the order, a linebacker like Maualuga or Laurinaitis. But we'd better be damn sure we have some alternate plans for addressing the offensive line if that's the case, because that's not a unit we can just move some guys around on and think we can solve.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    does anybody know Crabtrees specs, like height weight speed?
    6-3, 214 lbs, 4.55 40-time. Like someone mentioned above, I can't help but think of the Detroit Lions. You need a QB who can get the ball to your WR and an OL who will give your QB enough time to get the ball to your WR, before you start drafting WR. In my opinion, way too much of a luxury pick when the OL is such a glaring need. Obviously DB and LB are a high priority as well.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Shoot, we could even toy around with moving him to guard, but the issue here is he hasn't been as bad as some on our line outside of the false starts
    This offense currently lacks the ability to overcome said false starts. And still would lack said ability with Crabtree.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Personally, I think one of Smith or Oher WILL be available where we pick, be it 2, 3, 4, or 5. However, let's assume they are not. If we're at #5 and both OTs are gone, I'm betting we have our pick of the top Defender in the draft (Picks 1 through 4 being the two OTs, at least 1 QB maybe 2, and/or a RB/WR). And as Nick said, that being the case, Jenkins would have to be given a serious look.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast