Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

The Middle Linebacker debacle

I thought i would post this as an individual question rather than bury it again in the middle of a thread.

Can anyone name me one NFL team that had a less productive season out of the middle linebacker position than we did last year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: The Middle Linebacker debacle

...Kansas City perhaps?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I thought i would post this as an individual question rather than bury it again in the middle of a thread.

Can anyone name me one NFL team that had a less productive season out of the middle linebacker position than we did last year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC, ask and ye shall receive. Here's the six lowest performances from the ILB position this season:

Seattle - 148 tackles, 2 sacks, 0 int, 2 fumble rec.
    Green Bay - 141 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 int, 2 fumble rec.
    Kansas City - 138 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 int, 2 fumble rec.
    New Orleans - 136 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 int, 0 fumble rec.
    Dallas - 122 tackles, 1 sack, 3 int, 2 fumble rec.
    St. Louis - 95 tackles, 0 sack, 0 int, 0 fumble rec.

That's right folks. We are the only team in the entire league that didn't accumulate triple digit tackles from our ILB position. And we're the only team in the league that didn't manage at least one sack, pick, or recovery from our ILB position.

To answer your question GC.....no, there is no team that had a less productive season from their MLB.
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-16-2005 at 12:05 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

KCRamFan is offline Registered User

Oh man that is just UGLY. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Wow, great Data!

Hubison, now that is why you subscribe to a forum, to get info you can't get from the general news... nice job.

Re: Wow, great Data!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    Hubison, now that is why you subscribe to a forum, to get info you can't get from the general news... nice job.
    Thank you sir, glad to do it. I don't like the results, but I'm glad to share them. More of a "misery loves company" kind of thing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Where is Hartwell.......Better nab him fast! :tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    Where is Hartwell.......Better nab him fast! :tongue:
    Funny you mention him. While our MLB position amounted to 95 tackles and nothing else, Hartwell alone managed 96 tackles.

But HUbison, if Hartwell only had one more tackle than our MLBs, how is he an improvement?

Did I forget to mention that he had to share the position with Ray Lewis (146 tackles) in the Ravens' 3-4 scheme. Just imagine what he could do in our 4-3.

general counsel Guest

HUbison, that is just terrific info and fantastic confirmation of what i was beginning to think was an optical illusion. I dont see that much of other teams, and i knew we were terrible at mlb last year, but like others, i had no idea it was THAT bad. This should be an eye opener for everyone on this board that wants us to spend money that we already dont have in places other than this spot.

Lets see, dead last at mlb, dead last on special teams, first in dropped int's for tds in the playoffs (courtesy of antuan edwards et al), 8-8, but a win on the road in the playoffs.

ramming speed to all and thanks again HUbison

general counsel

thanks again HUbison
    my pleasure, sir.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Just imagine what he could do in our 4-3.
    That's the only thing that bothers me about Hartwell - we have to imagine what he could do in a 4-3 when Ray Lewis isn't taking attention away from him. Did he play 4-3 in college, I wonder? And if so, I wonder how he did.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Thank you sir, glad to do it. I don't like the results, but I'm glad to share them. More of a "misery loves company" kind of thing.

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

- Clemens, 1900

WILLN107 is offline Registered User

In a 3-4 defense Hartwell had to shed off the blocks of offensive linemen to make his tackles. In a 4-3 (if the DT's do there job, and that is a big IF with ours :disappoin ) he will have to shed a fullback or watch out for a TE or WR crackback. I personal would imagine him doing well in the 4-3 scheme. I also would imagine he is tired of being the other linebacker with Ray Lewis instead of being Ed Hartwell. On the other hand He only had 96 tackles with the opposing offenses running away for Ray Lewis is he all that good of a choice for our pathetic MLB position?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Yeah, I'd take him in a heartbeat! :tough:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

- Clemens, 1900
    "History is the best medicine for a sick mind, for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see, and in that record you can find for yourself and your country both examples and warnings: fine things to take as models, base things rotten through and through to avoid. " - Livy (Titus Livius)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast