Rambos is offline Registered User

This might sound strange

This might sound strange, but I think we need to come out passing to set up the running game. In every game this year we come out running the ball for about two plays, which go nowhere. We go three and out, then we fall behind and start passing to get back in it. This week we should come out passing, then run at them, once they (hawks) start to blitz to stop the passing attack, we run right over them. I donít think we can show run and just blow guys off the line, we just donít run block that well. Spread them out with 4 wide outs and run from that formation. Jackson is a load; he does fit what we do. We just need to set up the run better. He has great hands, look at the swing pass he caught and took it in for the TD. If we can get the lead on a team I think we all will see what Jackson can bring to the table, 14 carries is not enough to get a rhythm running the ball, he needs at least 25 touches to produce. I say run first pass second.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: This might sound strange

Last year at home the Rams started with something like 14 straight pass plays against the Seahawks?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

It does not sound strange to me. It sounds like vintage Mike Martz and that is what I want to see.

Stay within yourself or stay with what you are. This is how the offense was built, personnel wise. Set up the run with the pass. Screw the run first theory and the two TE sets. Open up the offense again.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Nice post Rambos. I agree with setting up the run with the pass, but not deep in our own end which is where they tend to self destruct. We should be able to pound the ball against the hawks.

It would not surprise me to see the RAMS come out running the ball early just to prove a point like Martz has in the past.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Hasselbeck8MVP is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Last year at home the Rams started with something like 14 straight pass plays against the Seahawks?
    That was ugly... the Seahawks D couldn't stop anything through the air either..

Granted that was after our secondary was hampered with a lot of injuries, but Bulger just made it look too easy.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Yes, but they have probably watched film of the last few games and are figuring that we're going to try to pass instead...

So what we should do is figure that there going to figure that we're going to figure that they know we're going to pass, so we'll instead run, but since that won't work, let's just pass anyway.

LOL

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Hasselbeck8MVP
    That was ugly... the Seahawks D couldn't stop anything through the air either..

Granted that was after our secondary was hampered with a lot of injuries, but Bulger just made it look too easy.
    Bulger just might make it look to easy next Sunday too. Sounds like the Seahawk secondary is not playing that well lately, especially Trufant.

I say run first pass second.
    I say pass first run second. You guys knew what i meant.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    This week we should come out passing, then run at them, once they (hawks) start to blitz to stop the passing attack, we run right over them.
    I don’t mind starting the gaming out passing but to stop the pass most teams have been rushing four and dropping more people into coverage against us and not blitzing. When they drop people into coverage it’s easier to run then if they blitzed. They have fewer near the line of scrimmage, which makes it easier to run. If we get more people coming on the blitz it will give our receivers more room to operate. I think if I were defending the Rams I would primarily have more people in coverage with an occasional blitz. Until the Rams established a running game then you would have to play straight up with the occasional blitz.

It may still be a good thing to pass first because that will get defenders away from the line of scrimmage and spread the field.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-06-2005 at 06:56 PM.

brawleyramfan is offline Registered User

BALANCE,BALANCE, BALANCE !!!!!!! We need to run the ball if we are going to compete this year. Ok, so our offense is built for speed and streching the field, Great. But, I don't care how you put it. "The Run Sets Up The Pass", Not The ohter way around. If the Rams become One dimensional, I guarantee you we will not make it to the post season. GOOOOOO RAAMMMSSSSS!!!!!!!!

most teams have been rushing four and dropping more people into coverage against us and not blitzing.
    I agree this what they have been doing, BUT with Alex in the game, will not be giving up a sack a second. I think they will have to send more then four with Alex and big O. Marc should be able to find the 3rd and fourth guy, if he is not running for his life. Alex is the key, if he holds up, they will have to blitz or Marc will pick them apart.

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by brawleyramfan
    BALANCE,BALANCE, BALANCE !!!!!!! We need to run the ball if we are going to compete this year. Ok, so our offense is built for speed and streching the field, Great. But, I don't care how you put it. "The Run Sets Up The Pass", Not The ohter way around. If the Rams become One dimensional, I guarantee you we will not make it to the post season. GOOOOOO RAAMMMSSSSS!!!!!!!!
    how can only the run set up the pass and not vice versa? obviously if they are expecting pass and you run you will have a higher chance for success. its the same basic principle.

granted, most teams run to set up the pass but we aren't like most teams.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Do you think if Bulger starts out throwing a couple of incompletions that Martz will scrap the pass and go strictly with the run? Wouldn't that be a funny twist.
    Sprtsmac :football:

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac
    Do you think if Bulger starts out throwing a couple of incompletions that Martz will scrap the pass and go strictly with the run? Wouldn't that be a funny twist.
    You can't start out running if your a passing team wanting establish the run. And if martz was to scrap the pass because of a couple of incompletes, he's no better than old KNOX!!!!!!! Wait Knox only threw on 3rd 19. 3rd and 18...draw play!LOL
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!