Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Mike Karney rips Strength Coaches

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Mike Karney rips Strength Coaches

Read an interesting bit of news on ProFootballTalk.com. Mike Karney supposedly tweeted yesterday that Rams Head Strength Coach Rock Gullickson and Asst. Strength Coach Adam Bailey were "cancers" in the locker room. He did not elaborate as to how, but did say that he felt they were retained as a "temporary fix" because "Fisher couldnt free up his guy"- a supposed reference to someone with another organiation.

I found this amusing on several levels. One, that Karney- a guy who did very little with the Rams- would be the source of this accusation. Secondly, I've never heard of strength coaches being referred to as "cancers". And three, that I've never heard any other substantiated claims against these guys. Karney's claims are vague, to say the least.

Interested to see the genesis of these comments. Was Karney wronged in some way, or is he just another bitter ex-player for whom things didn't work out? Will other ex-Rams be sought out to corroborate his story? Are Gullickson and Bailey respected or disliked?

Nothing like a little off season gossip to spice things up.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Karney rips Strength Coaches

Mike who?....
    Jd_UK likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    Mike who?....
    LOL!

Perhaps only a personal matter, sour grapes if you will. As NJ said, it would be interesting to know the origin of this disgruntle -- it's the offseason you know -- but right now it is rather funny. Are the Rams stength coaches also an ogre in addition to being bad at what they do? That is, are they THAT bad!?!

Karney just having a bad hair day, that's all.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Just to play devil's advocate, there were a lot of injuries last year - and there have been for several seasons.
    TekeRam likes this.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

You have to wonder when your starting left tackle gets hurt in the weight room and your backup runningback gets hurt running out onto the field. Hey, if we're really going to clean house......

RealRam is offline Registered User

No doubt, there will be MANY changes taking place under the Rams new leadership.

Mike Karney upset with his strength coaches in STL...
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Karney was yet another good player who ended up bombing with the Rams. I liked his work down in New Orleans, and we definitely could have used his blocking abilities this year to stop the blitz.

I don't know if it's something personal, but all around it is somewhat strange as Karney wasn't even with the Rams this past year.
    I believe!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I have a different take than others. I give real credence to what karney has said. Here is why.

How often do you see players criticizing former coaches or teamates? It happens, but not often. Why? Because players are afraid that if they engage in that type of behavior, other teams are less likely to want them because they will be viewed as "problems" or bad attitude guys. How often are players really going to be honest about management or coaches (which is true in the business world as well). Why should anyone come out and collaborate the story? That would potentially involve alienating others.

Put it another way. People ask you what you think of others who you work with. How often are you honest about it in a public context (ie if you think its going to get back to them or your supervisors).

Sure, these guys are only strength coaches, but on the other hand, if they are a bad influence in the locker room, that can be a problem. Negativity is not good, no matter where it is coming from. In the business world, people with bad attitude's really are a problem in any company, especially small companies. One bad apple really can badly influence the bunch. Superstars get away with diva behavior in all walks of life, ordinary workers not so much.

At the end of the day, while Karney may be bitter, his statements are against his own self interest and while they may only be an opinion, i dont think that they should be so easily dismissed.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I have a different take than others. I give real credence to what karney has said. Here is why.

How often do you see players criticizing former coaches or teamates? It happens, but not often. Why? Because players are afraid that if they engage in that type of behavior, other teams are less likely to want them because they will be viewed as "problems" or bad attitude guys. How often are players really going to be honest about management or coaches (which is true in the business world as well). Why should anyone come out and collaborate the story? That would potentially involve alienating others.

Put it another way. People ask you what you think of others who you work with. How often are you honest about it in a public context (ie if you think its going to get back to them or your supervisors).

Sure, these guys are only strength coaches, but on the other hand, if they are a bad influence in the locker room, that can be a problem. Negativity is not good, no matter where it is coming from. In the business world, people with bad attitude's really are a problem in any company, especially small companies. One bad apple really can badly influence the bunch. Superstars get away with diva behavior in all walks of life, ordinary workers not so much.

At the end of the day, while Karney may be bitter, his statements are against his own self interest and while they may only be an opinion, i dont think that they should be so easily dismissed.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    You raise a very valid point, GC. As you said, many times a player or a company employee will refrain from speaking honestly for fear of being labeled a malcontent. Lord knows, we see enough of those in the world of sports, and many times part of that stems from them not knowing when to shut their mouths.

By biggest issue is that Karney made an accusation, whetted one's curiosity, then didn't elaborate in this piece, which was only 2-3 short paragraphs. I'd like to know how a strength coach is perceived as a "cancer". Were they not supportive of injured players? Did they bad mouth certain guys? Did they overstep their bounds and view themselves as personnel guys as well as strength coaches? Were they incompetent? Did they misdiagnose injuries? Maybe Karney is 100% truthful and accurate in his assessment, but we'll never know unless something else comes to light. Because he is a bit player, I wouldn't think Mike Karney would be avoided like the plague by other teams interested in his services because of an opinion regarding guys he dealt with nearly 2 years ago.

I have one other question: How does a team keep its strength coaches when they had a record number of injuries last year and are generally regarded as being "soft"? I'd think these guys would have been shown the door along with everyone else.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Maybe they asked for the equipment guy to be fired...

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    You raise a very valid point, GC. As you said, many times a player or a company employee will refrain from speaking honestly for fear of being labeled a malcontent. Lord knows, we see enough of those in the world of sports, and many times part of that stems from them not knowing when to shut their mouths.

By biggest issue is that Karney made an accusation, whetted one's curiosity, then didn't elaborate in this piece, which was only 2-3 short paragraphs. I'd like to know how a strength coach is perceived as a "cancer". Were they not supportive of injured players? Did they bad mouth certain guys? Did they overstep their bounds and view themselves as personnel guys as well as strength coaches? Were they incompetent? Did they misdiagnose injuries? Maybe Karney is 100% truthful and accurate in his assessment, but we'll never know unless something else comes to light. Because he is a bit player, I wouldn't think Mike Karney would be avoided like the plague by other teams interested in his services because of an opinion regarding guys he dealt with nearly 2 years ago.

I have one other question: How does a team keep its strength coaches when they had a record number of injuries last year and are generally regarded as being "soft"? I'd think these guys would have been shown the door along with everyone else.
    Maybe he was the main PED dealer in Rams Park.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Kyle Turley, anybody?

Just as an aside, did anyone know that Kyle Turley has a country music career?

Neither did I. Yeeeech.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Did they misdiagnose injuries?
    Why would an S&C coach ever diagnose an injury? That's the PT's and/or Team Docs' job.
    I have one other question: How does a team keep its strength coaches when they had a record number of injuries last year and are generally regarded as being "soft"?
    Because neither injuries nor mental toughness falls under the purview of an S&C coach.

If a team is physically weak on the field, or gets gassed on the field, then you look at the S&C coach. Not for injuries.

All the power cleans in the world wouldn't have stopped Bartell from breaking his neck.
    All the sprints in the world wouldn't have stopped Bradford from his high ankle sprain.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I think we have to take this with a little grain of salt. No point in saying 'Haha look who is saying it, mike who?, you aren't even on our team anymore' I feel part of it has to be right if he is willing to come out and say this. If I correctly remember, there were even a couple of people in this forum that said S&C coach need to be fired when the offeason started.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast