Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Mike Martz #8 on FSN's Top 10 Dumbest Moments

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well good, that means he's learned from his mistake. Good deal.

How many of you really learn from your mistakes?

I wonder.
    He has aknowledged his mistake (which actually was just an instinctive action dictated by his lack of confidence in the offense at that time, so I'm not sure that mistake is even the right word), but whether or not he has learned from it won't be known until the season is underway.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Well good, that means he's learned from his mistake. Good deal.
    Maybe Tx, I guess we'll have to wait and see. The point here however is that Martz did indeed make a huge mistake.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Everyone is right, he made a mistake. However, all indications seem he has learned from it.

1. Making sure Manu is a TE only.
    2. Drafting Jackson, a pounding RB in the red zone.
    3. Making sure the FB gets adequate attention in training camp.

What else would you guys WANT him to do? The Wayback Machine really dosen't work, so we can't go back and fix it.

Everyone is right, he made a mistake. However, all indications seem he has learned from it.

1. Making sure Manu is a TE only.
    2. Drafting Jackson, a pounding RB in the red zone.
    3. Making sure the FB gets adequate attention in training camp.

What else would you guys WANT him to do? The Wayback Machine really dosen't work, so we can't go back and fix it.
    Tx, you're right. He is gathering & sharpening the tools needed to fix the original problem, being his lack of confidence in the offense. That's great and exactly what he should be doing. As far as what I WANT him to do, simple...don't do it again. When he is in that situation again, don't tell the league's 2nd highest scoring offense, the 7th highest TD-producing offense, HIS offense, that he believes there is a greater chance of turning the ball over than there is of putting the ball in the endzone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tx, I don't mean to be argumentative, but his mistake had to do with decision making, not team preparation. We won't know if he has learned from anything until he has shown the ability to make sound decisions in the heat of battle.

I disagree mike, it had everything to do with team preparation. When were we really effective inside the twenty? At what point in the Rams season were we really that awesome in the red zone? Very few. The breakdown in the red zone had less to do with Bulger and the WR's and more to do with blocking from the FB/TE position. The Rams addressed that problem. That's all we can ask for right now. To rehash this over, and over, and over again without taking into consideration the fixes the Rams have implemented is a waste of bandwidth.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

The playoff game against Carolina, and not being decisive on that drive summed up the entire year - Conservative.

As for what else I want him to do, here's one for starters:

Stick to who you are, and what got you here. This conservative BullS#!+ is the only thing I have against Martz.

If he can't run his style of offense with Bulger, then get rid of Bulger and find someone who can. Maybe Chandler can. If I have to watch another year of the "new" Martz, I might just give up. The sad part is that his new conservative approach is mostly to try to avoid those bonehead things he does when all he is thinking about is attack, attack, attack. But guess what, he still does bonehead things even in conservative mode.

I'd rather go down swingin.

It wasn't Bulger, it wasn't his lack of confidence in Bulger. It was the blocking scheme.

The blocking scheme was the issue, the Rams addressed that. Oh whatever.

I disagree mike, it had everything to do with team preparation. When were we really effective inside the twenty? At what point in the Rams season were we really that awesome in the red zone? Very few. The breakdown in the red zone had less to do with Bulger and the WR's and more to do with blocking from the FB/TE position. The Rams addressed that problem. That's all we can ask for right now. To rehash this over, and over, and over again without taking into consideration the fixes the Rams have implemented is a waste of bandwidth.
    Tx, I have plenty of bandwidth to waste dude! You make good points, but IMHO it's hard to argue with the man himself as far as whether a bad decision was made in that particular instance.

This comes from the same website that after the Giants game last year put a huge banner on their site calling him a moron. No other coach was afforded that tag but Martz last year.

Also affiliated with the same tv channel that Terry Bradshaw works for who consistently has a personal vendetta against Martz. So why am I not surprised Martz gets ridiculed from these a holes?

ramfaninpgh is offline Registered User

The long and the short of it, gentlemen and ladies, it's over. One thing that this points up--how damned difficult it is to be a head coach in the NFL. We can all sit here and expound on what Martz should have done either way and make points to support our positions, because that's what fans do and that's OK. But the one thing none of could have done or ever will do, is walk in his shoes. We'll never know what it was like to have to make that decision at that very second under that kind of pressure. Right choice or wrong choice, he had to make it and live or die with it, not us. After he makes whichever choice, the players still have to execute it.

Look at the bright side. We could have been saddled with a Steve Spurrier or aMarty Schottenheimer as our HC. Right/
    :angryram: RamFanInPgh

Alright guys, bash away. Bash away at the one man who is probably the most instrumental in turning around the worst NFC team of the 90's to what we have now.

Go ahead, use whatever weapon at your disposal.

Unfortunately Tx, the best weapon here is Martz himself and his own words.

I apologize for my last post, that was a little harsh from my end. However, what I fail to understand is all the criticism most of you spout about the guy. If some of you would give the same type of criticism to your favorite player or players on the team, most of you would hate the Rams.

Alright guys, bash away. Bash away at the one man who is probably the most instrumental in turning around the worst NFC team of the 90's to what we have now.

Tx, come on man. We're not rounding up the villagers and passing out torches (at least I'm not...fluorescent lighting here in the office, no need for torches). I think Martz has been very instrumental in the turn-around of this team. I didn't start this thread or this specific discussion, but since it has come up, I will question his mindset on this particular call. I'm not calling for his resignation, but he is not above criticism, either.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast