Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Martz #8 on FSN's Top 10 Dumbest Moments

No, he isn't above criticism. No one is. However, he has tried to fix the issue but to some........it is never enough.

Bob L. Head is offline Registered User
    California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe

Wow, this has to be the fastest movind thread I have seen. It's like a California wildfire, consuming 2+ pages in 17 hours.

Now, what were we talking about?
    Have some fondue, it's delicious.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Now, what were we talking about?
    We were talking about Mike Martz and his "top 10 dumbest moments" decision against Carolina. A decision he admitted was the wrong one in that instance. Whether he considers it worthy of the top 10 is anyones guess. LOL

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    No, he isn't above criticism. No one is. However, he has tried to fix the issue but to some........it is never enough.
    Tx, I'm at a loss my friend. The majority of the Martz criticism in this thread has come from R8rh8r and me. And I haven't read anything in our posts that would imply that Martz is some kind of cancer that has to be removed. We are simply replying to the spirit of the thread, which was "FSN's Top 10 Dumbest Moments".

I'm not even saying it is one of the 10 dumbest moments, but it was a mistake based on Martz' "gut" which told him we were more likely to get a turnover than a TD. If that is not a lack of confidence in the offense (notice I said offense, not once have I said Bulger) then I don't know what is.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tx, I'm at a loss my friend. The majority of the Martz criticism in this thread has come from R8rh8r and me. And I haven't read anything in our posts that would imply that Martz is some kind of cancer that has to be removed. We are simply replying to the spirit of the thread, which was "FSN's Top 10 Dumbest Moments".
    Absolutely. I'm more than willing to give Martz a chance to show he has changed. My main point in this thread is that Martz made a bad decision that he himself admitted, that's all.

You guys are right, it's about the mistake and the mistake only. Not what measures have been taken to fix it, not that he may have learned from it, just that it was the mistake.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -07-20-2004 at 02:55 PM.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

His admission proves nothing about learning from his mistakes. The situation called for one of sMartz' patented delay-of-game penalties while he decided what he wasn't going to do ... but he had already learned he couldn't afford it this time ... so it was time to call a TO ... but lo and behold ... that time management thing crept in again and he was down to one and now would have been a really good time to have stockpiled the TOs and had a 2nd in hand ... and he had nowhere to hide his indecisiveness ... so he folded his hand and prayed someone would bail him out ... even turned to Sehorn ...

So not only one of the dumbest moments, but will go down as a glaring example of inability to craft a plan on the fly in the heat of the moment ... utilizing the talents available at the moment ... that brain cramp will forever show the real impact of a brain sizzled by too many misplaced genius kudos.

Yeah, yeah ... we will see what we will see ...

A chalkboard strategist? Maybe. A real-time tactician? Maybe not.

To his defense on Sehorn, both Groce and Walton were hurt. So he had no choice BUT to use Sehorn.

Let's just hope Mike Martz doesn't end up on any more "top 10 dumbest moments" list. I'd be happy just to get that at this point.

The whole Fox suite of products hates Martz, probably more than some Rams fans. He could win the whole thing and they still will crucify him.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    To his defense on Sehorn, both Groce and Walton were hurt. So he had no choice BUT to use Sehorn.
    I think picking up Sehorn was one of the worst decisions of the year and it certainly got rubbed in during the Carolina game when we got to watch Sehorn miss so many tackles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You may be right about Fox Tx, but I certainly don't hate Martz in any way, shape or form. I'm disappointed that he can't become the great head coach he has the potential to be. If what you think is true, that he has learned from his mistakes, maybe this is the year.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Maybe Sehorn should be number 8 instead of Martz. :smile:
    Sprtsmac :football:

Maybe Sehorn should be number 8 instead of Martz.
    Not necessarily. It was Martz who ripped Sehorn mercilessly when he was on the Giants, stating to the world that he wished he could line up against him every week, then when out and signed him, then watched as he made one of the biggest wiffs in Ram history. Does not make Mad Mike look like much of a genious.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    Momentum was clearly on the RAMS side. When you have it, you step on the gas, not the brake.
    Momentum only accounts for so much. Look at all their drives that stalled in the red zone. The Rams had a lot of momentum on their first two drives of the game but couldn't get jack in the red zone. This had to be weighing on Martz's mind. Martz had been stepping on the gas all day and getting no where, but he knew he could get the ball in field goal position in OT, so he went with that option.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    It all boils down to the fact that it wasn't a Martz call, nor a sound football call in general. It was just a gutless call.
    To me, it sounds like if anything, it was a sound football call. Martz recognized the problems his offense was having in the red zone and adjusted to it with a gameplan he thought gave them the best chance to win. You say gutless, I say smart.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    yeah, yeah , yeah ... it could have been this that or the other thing ... but just as easily it could have been a TD.
    How could a TD be just as easy? The Rams couldn't do jack in the red zone all day in terms of reaching the end zone. Based on the events of that game, it would seem a touchdown would be fairly hard to achieve, whereas a turnover -- Carolina had come up with two INTs already -- or a protection break-down was more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Well, in all actuality, Martz. In an interview with Dr. Z posted numerous times by Ferter, Martz admitted that because the Panther defense was reeling and his offense was rolling, he should have tried a few runs with Marshall Faulk.

Once again, here is the Martz quote: “I should have run it in.” he said. “Your right, they were tired. Negative thinking.” And he shook his head…….
    I think that's a hindsight admission. Of course if you lose a game, get criticized heavily for it, and then you're asked if you should have done something differently, you're going to say yes since what you did didn't work. Personally, I think given his team's performance and the prior attempts of that game, Martz made a smart call. Everyone would be burning down his house had he done as you all suggest and take an attempt that for whatever reason eliminated our ability to tie and go for OT. What if Goodspeed or Manu miss a block, like they had been a number of times during that game, and Bulger gets nailed on a blitz and fumbles the ball? Game over. What if Marc drops back and misreads the coverage and throws a pick? Game over. What if during the attempt one of their key players gets injured and won't be available in OT? Seems like a lot to risk for a red zone touchdown they hadn't been able to get all day except on one try that took over two minutes.

Faulk was averaging under three yards a carry that day. His longest run of the day was eight yards. How Faulk is going to run it in from the Carolina 19-yard line is a mystery to me. I really doubt you're going to pick up twenty yards on a draw against this defense, who proved in OT they weren't as tired as one might think.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast