Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Mike Martz #8 on FSN's Top 10 Dumbest Moments

Nobody said it was easy, that's for sure. I guess that's why there are only 32 NFL Head Coachs in the world. (Well, that and there are only 32 NFL teams, each requiring 1 head coach; so that 32 x1 = 32 NFL head coachs...but you know what I'm saying)

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramfaninpgh
    But he has to process all of the possibilities, surrounded by 60,000 fans screaming so loudly he can't hear himself, 53 of his players and coaches on the sideline and one (?) in his headset, adrenalinized (is that a word?) and sweating under the pressure of a decision that means the season, and he only has a matter of seconds to make the call.

Sure, he's paid a lot of money to be in that position, but do you think that the money makes it any easier?
    Excellent points ramfaninpgh!!

Nothing better than a pressure situation in which you get to make the call. You gotta love it, if you ask me. It's the highest of highs and nothing else comes close. I think all competitive people or head coaches like those situations. Having said that, I think they have surely ran through different scenarios in their minds many times. However, until they actually face those split second decisions they will never truly know if indecisiveness will rear it's ugly head and cause them to second guess and go away from their gut instincts.

:ramlogo:

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Ok ... one more thing ... despite what all has been said ... the fact remains that John Fox got away with an even dumber moment in the same game ... . Let's see how that moment went again ... OT, in FG position, TO, maneuver the ball into the middle of the field with one more running play AND THEN WHAT??!! A delay of game penalty while bringing on the FG unit???!!! A couple more plays and a missed 45 yarder. Inexcusable. Period.

And then you asked Wilkens to make just one more, with the money down and 53 yards should be money at this level ... and well you can kiss my asss the more I think about missed opportunities ...

As much as I resent how those last 42 seconds in regulation elapsed though, I tell you I would rather have sMartz than Fox though when it comes down to the timing of delay-of-game penalties if we were to compare brain cramps ...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramfaninpgh
    Sure, he's paid a lot of money to be in that position, but do you think that the money makes it any easier?
    Excellent points. We've been weighing the pro's and con's back and forth for three days now and still can't all agree on one decision. Martz had a matter of seconds in front of a national audience as well as thousands in attendance.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    A delay of game penalty while bringing on the FG unit???!!!
    Something else Martz might have been trying to avoid when using his last timeout to set up the tying field goal.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567